Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 124903 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Rome II announced!
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2012, 01:00:29 pm »
No shit. But it's as close as you can get and the point is that your decisions are meant to be in the moment.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2012, 01:05:57 pm »
You know Total War does not have realistic battles to the extent that you can pull these 'in real life' arguments off right?

This. In a real battle you have much more than mere seconds to make your decisions. And orders don't travel at the speed of light either.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2012, 03:54:52 pm »
This. In a real battle you have much more than mere seconds to make your decisions. And orders don't travel at the speed of light either.
If orders had to be "manually" given to the unit commanders through messengers, drum/horn sounds or flag signals, then I would love to have pauses enabled in MP matches (and why not make it an option you select before the battle?). I would also like you to give certain pre-battle orders to the different units. Ofc, this wouldn't really fit with how the TW games works, but maybe in some other new Strategy IP.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2012, 10:40:08 pm »
every new total war game has bugs and glitches that have major effect on single and multiplayer.

Of course not to speak of huge inbalances with the units/factions. Took shogun2 6 months to be stable... 1 year to be balanced!!!!

Pre order at your own risk fan boys. I for one am tired of beta testing their games for almost 60 a pop.
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2012, 04:54:26 pm »
+1
^this

I have owned every TW game since Shogun 1 and I have stopped buying them on release since ETW after getting burned every single time. Takes them at least 2-3 major patches + modding (so 6-12 months) to be at the quality level they SHOULD be at release.

They're still good games after that point, but like he said, not gonna pay full price for beta product from these guys anymore.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2012, 12:16:29 pm »
I never understood why they don't allow pausing in multiplayer. It's a mature game that is played with (hopefully) mature players (not like your classical cocaine-driven RTS *cough*starcraft*cough*). Pauses allow to reach a level of strategic thought that is otherwise drowned by the need to do shit fast. There's no point in making a game that has deep strategy when anyway in the end the players that trained to use the UI faster win.

Do u use the hotkeys alot? I used to have trouble keeping up in MP unti I looked up the hotkeys, and i gradually started getting faster and faster in MP. I still have trouble with using cav in large battles though.

Pausing isn't that bad, but it kinda ruins the gameplay and fluidity. I hope they don't expand the army size so much that everyone has to pause every time they need to make moves. That would just be overdoing it.

I also hope that if they expand the maximum unit per army size, they should add a way to switch units from player command to AI command. Similar to coop campaign battles in shogun 2.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:45:39 pm by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2012, 05:41:18 pm »
+1
Do u use the hotkeys alot? I used to have trouble keeping up in MP unti I looked up the hotkeys, and i gradually started getting faster and faster in MP. I still have trouble with using cav in large battles though.

No offense, but that's my point : I don't want to learn hotkeys in a strategy game. If I wanted to rape my keyboard, I would play an action game...

Offline Havoco

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2012, 01:50:08 am »
No offense, but that's my point : I don't want to learn hotkeys in a strategy game. If I wanted to rape my keyboard, I would play an action game...

Ahh ok. I'm fine with hotkeys being a common thing in games. Just not macros. Macros is the main reason I stopped playing Starcraft in the first place.

I also think it ruins MMOs. Nothing worse than having multiple skill bars with about 30 skills and items but only having to press 4 buttons.
Pock gobblers

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2012, 05:41:25 pm »
+4
This. Is kickass.

(click to show/hide)

And they'll be releasing info on factions in the coming months:
Quote from: Will from Creative Assembly
Rome.

Rome is where it all begin, the empire of conquest which would shape the very core of the modern world as we know it.

We are very proud to announce that it is also the first of our playable faction reveals in the Total War: ROME II line-up! Over the course of the next few months we’ll be giving you an insight into what makes them stand out and a few screenshots of each, just to get everyone fired up.

With Total War: ROME II we are bringing a new level of depth to our factions with each major power having its own unique unit roster and tech trees, making sure they all stand out amidst the enormous scope of the campaign. We’ve never before been able to put as much effort into creating distinctive factions to play as we are for ROME II.

We’ll be posting each faction as it’s announced here at: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/factions so keep an eye out for more information hot of the digital internet presses.

Enjoy!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2012, 06:25:50 pm »
+1
I love you Khorin. May you keep posting the updates so that we others wont miss important info on Rome 2.

I'm so excited :D
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2012, 06:33:45 pm »
+3
I love you Khorin. May you keep posting the updates so that we others wont miss important info on Rome 2.

I'm so excited :D
Love you too man. I've been slacking lately, tbh.

Here's some stuff I didn't bother posting earlier:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Havoco

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2012, 09:08:30 pm »
Did they say unique faction tech trees? Interesting...
Pock gobblers

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2012, 10:44:56 pm »
Didn't say much about Rome faction...

I hope the Republic dynamics are a bit more interesting, there wasn't much too them in Rome 1. Houses should pretty much be under control of the senate, like you are playing the head of it and given assignments like govern X province, build up an army and conquer province Y (and you are given some gold and troops to get you going). If you succeed you amass popularity and wealth, if you fail you lose it. With popularity you can win votes to control republic offices, with wealth you can do stuff like build up your palace for prestige (popularity & offices), invest in business ventures, or fund a household retinue. Then if your house becomes powerful enough to come close to dominating the Republic, it could spark a civil war event.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2012, 02:35:36 am »
Well, still wondering what they were smoking when they decided the "Three houses controlling territory" idea was good for release.

One, unified SPQR controlled by the Senate or a Despot, and that's it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »
I want to see Parthia again so I hope they are back in...been reading the Parthian series by Peter Daman and it's given me a real desire to want to play as them. I never really tried them in RTW but should probably give them a go now. See how strong those Cataphracts are.