Author Topic: Soon to retire I need the most feedback possible to an archery build  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
I'm 800k from 31 and I need to know exactly what plan on stats to have for the next one.

I tried this on a STF:

Strength:24
Agility:18

Two Handed:10
Archery:154

Power Draw:8
Athletics:3
Weapon Master:6

But I guess it's kinda slow? (Didn't find it that slow with a horn bow personally but I'd prefer real archers opinions on damage builds)

Someone suggested me to go 18/24 but I don't really like it, maybe 21/21 with 7 PD, 7 WM and 3 ATH?

So what is your opinion for a damage build for archery? I will probably use my MW langes as melee weapon on the archer as it's 1 slot and maybe when I get high in wpf use skutatos armour which has 9.6 weight with lighter stuff on the other parts.

I got a MW Horn Bow ready and MW Bodkins if that can help on what is the ideal build.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: Soon to retire I need the most feedback possible to an archery build
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 01:14:18 pm »
24/18 and 21/21 sound interesting if you do not need any PS/IF or melee wpf. Otherwise I would really recommend my old Archer build:

(click to show/hide)

Good amount of HP, together with medium gear such as Tribal Warrior Outfit, Mail Gauntlets and Rus Cavalry Boots (Helmet not needed, you can take a low weight one for the looks, a heavier if your used to lower wpf) you can take a good amount of hits and probably dont even die in 2 hits by a fully loomed 2h guy. With 85 1h wpf you are good enough to react to attacks (of course you can also take 2h wpf, for mace/langes messer, like you wish).
6 PD gives medium damage but with a loomed bow you'll do enough after all. 143 archery wpf is probably too low for a non-loomed bow but I often had nice shots with my +1 rus bow I had. With bodkin arrows I also did some dmg to tincans. I loved it.

However if you prefer a dedicated Archer build, you can freely take more PD or WM, leaving out PS/IF and a bit of ATH. For real damage the 24/18 build is the best, of course your aim suffers by 8 PD and 6 WM only.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:17:22 pm by Miwiw99 »
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »
18 21 or 21 21 hornbow

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:33:21 pm »
6 PD is too low for what I want.

I want to mainly be an archer dealing heavy damage but will use a side arm incase I get a cav or whatever near me.

Keep then coming people, the more suggestions specially from known archers the better.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 11:51:23 am »
6 PD is too low for what I want.

I want to mainly be an archer dealing heavy damage but will use a side arm incase I get a cav or whatever near me.

Keep then coming people, the more suggestions specially from known archers the better.
honestly 6 PD is Plenty. I have an 18/24 archer right now and would never get more PD. I'd stack more agility if I kept leveling it.
24/18 is fine by all means, go it if you like. 21/21 is also good.

18/21 is good, like 18/24 but full ath and some PS for your side arm. I'd go 18/21 or 21/18 if I were you waning to melee when shit goes wrong. My two cents!
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »
18/21.
6 PD and 5 PS is enough, and you can have 75 wpf in your melee weapon.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 12:00:11 am »
I have to say I tried the 24/18 build on DTV and that might be different to base an opinion on as the bots have high hp but even peasants needed 2 shots to die and the further round say weaboos took way too many arrows in the body to die.

I'm not expecting to kill in 2 arrows but weaboos armour is very light (The light black version) and needed more than 5 arrows to die with a non loomed yumi (Or rus bow not sure exactly) and bodkins and while I may use a melee weapon I don't want to get the maximum possible power on archery while still having high wm.

Melee with 0 wpf and 0 ps is still possible if you have a high damaging weapon. (Even if it's a lot harder)

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 04:44:18 am »
+1
you may wanna consider 15/24. The athletics and extra wpf helps alot.

Offline Beat

• Mighty
  • Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 01:03:45 am »
I would go 21/18 so you can actually run when needed.  You can swap the PS for IF if you want but 8 HP in light armor doesn't really do much.  Speaking of armor, skutatos is way too heavy.  It will ruin your WPF.  You can also change the WPF to 60 2H and 150 archery, not that it really matters though.

Strength: 21
    Agility: 18

Skills to attributes: 8

Power Strike: 4
    Athletics: 6
    Power Draw: 7
    Weapon Master: 6

Two Handed: 50
    Archery: 152

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 01:49:50 am »
I'm 800k from 31 and I need to know exactly what plan on stats to have for the next one.

I tried this on a STF:

Strength:24
Agility:18

Two Handed:10
Archery:154

Power Draw:8
Athletics:3
Weapon Master:6

But I guess it's kinda slow? (Didn't find it that slow with a horn bow personally but I'd prefer real archers opinions on damage builds)

Someone suggested me to go 18/24 but I don't really like it, maybe 21/21 with 7 PD, 7 WM and 3 ATH?

So what is your opinion for a damage build for archery? I will probably use my MW langes as melee weapon on the archer as it's 1 slot and maybe when I get high in wpf use skutatos armour which has 9.6 weight with lighter stuff on the other parts.

I got a MW Horn Bow ready and MW Bodkins if that can help on what is the ideal build.

Invert that build.

All the top archer dogs have high agility and plenty of wpf to keep those shots tight.

18-24 run bow with bodkins. Seems to be the go.

Oh yeah, and a lot more agi

6PD
8ATH
8MW

There be an archer!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:53:26 am »
Invert that build.

All the top archer dogs have high agility and plenty of wpf to keep those shots tight.

6PD
8ATH
8MW

There be an archer!
18/24 is the best
@30: 6 PD 8 WM 3 ath, @31: 6 Ath, @ 32: 8 ath 1 PS.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 01:57:56 am »
Invert that build.

6PD
8ATH
8MW

There be an archer!

Fyi this build isn't possible until like level 32, "pure builds" at 30 that only use 3 stats can max out 2 of them and have 3 in the other.  Pure cav builds are often all riding, powerstrike, and 3 left over for shield.  A pure archer build would only have 3 athletics.  18/24, 21/21, or 24/18 are the 3 viable level 30 "pure builds." 

I would usually go 21/21, but with masterwork bow and arrows I doubt you'd ever need more than 6 PD, and would prob recommend 18/21 anyways.  However with your light archer armor, even with low athletics you will still out run 90 percent of melee people in the game so whatever.  Also Rus Bow users are gimped for melee, so honestly athletics and powerstrike don't matter much.

Get to 18/18 with 3 athletics maybe and see if you can deal with that, then start pumping up PD or WM depending on what you like, or filling out your stats instead.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 02:12:24 am »
Is it worth even playin an archer with no looms? I have an alt but I can't decide what to make him. It's between a 15/24 polearm guy or an archer. My main is already infantry, so I wonder if the spear will feel redundant....but if archer is useless without looms I won't bother.
Hello

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:46 am »
More PD hardly adds more damage, just makes you fire slower and more inaccurately it seems. you do gain a bit in missile speed... but not worth it.
I have my 18/24 archer which wrecks face.  fuck.
I have my STF to test other builds currently as a 27/15 (9 PD 5 wm 3 ath archer) and it is night and day. Takes just as many shots to kill people (negligibly more damage), super inaccurate in comparison, can't hold shots, takes longer to draw back, fires slower with a bit of delay upon releasing making you miss even more than the inaccuracy.
NOTE: I still killed people as 27/15 because archery is ridiculous. Just Way less than 18/24. ( I say that, but my 27/15 stf has a 7:1 kdr with it when i played two maps)

with that said, I imagine 21/21 is fine and good. But tbh 18/24 is terrifyingly good. Top of charts good.
(click to show/hide)

Is it worth even playin an archer with no looms? I have an alt but I can't decide what to make him. It's between a 15/24 polearm guy or an archer. My main is already infantry, so I wonder if the spear will feel redundant....but if archer is useless without looms I won't bother.
Yes. a levle 30 archer with no looms is still good. With +3 bow it becomes GREAT with +3 bodkins as well it become AMAZING

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 02:17:15 am »

Yes. a levle 30 archer with no looms is still good. With +3 bow it becomes GREAT overpowered with +3 bodkins as well it become AMAZING lol broken

And yeah I tried a 27/12 troll longbow build once and it was god awful, a bunch of us in LLJK did it (while being bad archers) and we were all pretty awful, but it seemed to 2 shot people pretty easily.  Papifarikiki was actually topping scoreboards with that build, but he's played a dedicated arbalester for nearly a year so he was able to land shots with disturbing ease even with the gimped build.

I had a STF at 21/21 Rus bow with no looms and I played it for about 3 hours before I went broke due to no gold transfer and finding archery kind of boring, but the accuracy and missile speed was pretty much oustanding, felt more like being a crossbower, but I haven't tried really high WPF builds.

Don't be so quick Marathon to write off PD leaning archery builds either.  I can't speak much from experience, but two of the best archers that played on NA, Kesh and sWalker (rip star wars nerds, though I've seen kesh lately) used level 33 27/18 builds (if I recall), even sWalker using a kind of gimped Long Bow, and were always chart toppers.  In Strat 2.0, before looms in Strat, those guys would put up KDs that would rival or surpass me and Huey as lancer cav in all the fun as hell FCC strat battles (we all averaged 4-7.0 KDs a battle lol, unicorns + cavalieres and FCC light infantry led by Matey tore apart strength build clans like Chaos and Hospitallers)  Goretooth used this build or a similar one when he went back to archery for a month or two a while back at a high level, and I'd see him with 20+ kills a map easily, accurate as shit with ridiculous missile speed.

I think looms help a lot more with accuracy when it comes to high PD builds though, when less looms would probably be better with more WM.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:28:36 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login