Author Topic: Rebalancing the Great Maul's stats  (Read 4002 times)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
Re: Rebalancing the Great Maul's stats
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 10:28:53 pm »

It's so risky that I don't think anyone sane would go for it on purpose. Fair enough though.

Whaaaa.....overhead is 2nd easiest chamber. (1st easiest is lance stab, that can be chambered all the live long day, unless its by a goon with over 9000 riding that fakes the commit well)
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 10:36:31 pm »
With a great maul? Really?  :wink:
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 10:38:42 pm »
Then also we would certainly need to agree on that archers, crossbows and other thrower cowards unbalance the game because shieldless two-handers and polearms have no means to defend themselves against it. What you're saying is basically nerf change my counter-class because it counters me.

Tot...there again, you lose it. Archers are made to shoot people who are uncovered. Maulers are not meant to pound down someone senselessly. They are supposed to have a quick overhead slash ( faster than current) but should NOT be able to spam for the reasons aforementioned...now if you cannot understand that simple concept, I can't do anything for you, my friend, end of discussion.
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 10:43:28 pm »
+1
Maulers are not meant to pound down someone senselessly. They are supposed to have a quick overhead slash

Erm, you got that backbards....
I don't know enough

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 10:47:30 pm »
+1
basically make the maul swing faster will balance this ? im almost fine with this, increase the length so that the natural counter of back peddling doesnt bone me over, cause if i lose my crushthru spam which is my one save when i catch the S key hero then i need length to battle him. because this whole thread is about helping a build fight another build/weapon correct ?
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 782
  • Infamy: 1854
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 12:22:12 am »
With a great maul? Really?  :wink:

Well, look at it like this:

I have 6 PS, he has 12 PS and god knows how many HP and plate armor. I need 5 or more succesful overhead hits to kill him. The more I spam regular overheads the greater the chance is that he'll manage to chamber one of those hits (just by pure luck). Even if he can't respond, I might glance once and then I'm dead.

Bottom line is, it's not smart to do overhead attacks against maulers.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
+1
Great Maul and Mallet.

How many dedicated users can you find? Remember Burrick for being one of the few....and he knew his shit.

Regular players by far get the highest boost by Awlpike + Long Spear. Attack out of the second row, polestun kill mob everybody.

Now see the difference...imo a Great Maul is great, after you surpassed and mastered three things (that dont affect Long Spears or other classes with range that much):

- You real carefully maneuveur, avoiding crowds with long weapons
- You by that need to surpass your awful range
- You carefully time your attacks

Again, ppl. underestimate that gmaul takes good thinking to be effective.

20% of the maps are gmaul land, sure. The rest is a cav infested, longspear mob land, being the worst enviroment for mauls.

Like Paul said, using your range or speed is key. Using your positioning is the entry point.

One thing is certain...it always was and will be....-buff the awareness of ppl. and great mauls have no chance to dance-

Keep em the way they are.
Also agree with tyr and tot.
But these are all suggestions of players that have proven to have skill in battle ;-)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2851
  • Infamy: 305
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 01:09:02 pm »
It's easy for you vMega. You can always stun great maul user, after that it's easy mode.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 01:52:37 pm »
Was wondering why you "overreact" a little, knowing you, as someone with enough skill, Leshma...?

Cant deny, stagger makes life easier in such cases.
Though you should know, I was dedicated 2h for what, 2 years.

Guess what, next gen is 1h again.
There will be no blame against maulers, no, just a nice challange.

Be asured, whenever i come back to 2h, i get a hard donkey because 2h swords in general have the least flaws and downsides, considering you know what u are doing...deep inside, you know i am right.

I dont think many ppl. ever tried everything they could to face maulers effectively...but therefore invest time into telling others how obviously the cant handle range.

Remember, this aint no barmace situation (which was completly retarded and off)

Mauls biggest strentghs imply tremedous disadvantages, ur job to force maulers into these scenarios...or?

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 02:57:15 pm »
I've never had a problem with mauls myself, but I don't like seeing bad players being extremely effective by making a strength build with maul and plate.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:32 pm »
HERRO I AM ROCK. SCISSORS IS OK BUT PAPER IS OP
I don't know enough

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 04:13:56 pm »
I've never had a problem with mauls myself, but I don't like seeing bad players being extremely effective by making a strength build with maul and plate.
bad players have problems with blocks and attack direction
I am maule now with 8 ps and 102 wpf  and sometimes i glance on huscral or bordshield(low lvl)
My +3malet isn't op
Mauler class is  easy on good maps but i see some shity idea to remove all places where you can hide from cav  or archers

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Akynos

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 157
  • cRPG Player
  • Is now an agiwhore :*(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Skono, Rollmops
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 05:16:38 pm »
+1

Erm, you got that backbards....

Maybe it was badly expressed, I meant that maulers are not meant to be able to spam someone with crushthrough, but also that the speed at which the maul falls ( both because of the force applied by the user and the gravity force) should be higher. This balances both maulers and others, because it gets rid of senseless spam for both maulers and 2h/polearm ( maybe not 1h). See what I mean? :)

Great Maul and Mallet.

How many dedicated users can you find? Remember Burrick for being one of the few....and he knew his shit.

Regular players by far get the highest boost by Awlpike + Long Spear. Attack out of the second row, polestagger kill mob everybody.

Now see the difference...imo a Great Maul is great, after you surpassed and mastered three things (that dont affect Long Spears or other classes with range that much):

- You real carefully maneuveur, avoiding crowds with long weapons
- You by that need to surpass your awful range
- You carefully time your attacks

Again, ppl. underestimate that gmaul takes good thinking to be effective.

20% of the maps are gmaul land, sure. The rest is a cav infested, longspear mob land, being the worst enviroment for mauls.

Like Paul said, using your range or speed is key. Using your positioning is the entry point.

One thing is certain...it always was and will be....-buff the awareness of ppl. and great mauls have no chance to dance-

Keep em the way they are.
Also agree with tyr and tot.
But these are all suggestions of players that have proven to have skill in battle ;-)

Like almost everyone on this topic, vMega, you are not talking about the same scenario as I am. I fully understand how totally possible it is to avoid Maulers. I do it regulary when I face one. I am not here to ask for a general nerf of the mauls. I mean that if you are a str-build and you get hit ONCE, you're toast, because the mauler can easely spam you with overhead crushthroughs. That is the issue. Now, to compensate for this loss in order to keep maulers a competitive class, I suggest increasing the speed rating of the weapons, so that they ALSO can hardly be spammed. My explanations for this are in my previous posts. This allows a more intelligent gameplay rather than spam-crushthrough or spam-hiltslash. THIS HELPS BOTH SIDES.

...which is why I made my suggestion :)

It seems that despite saying it...what...five times, people still think I am claiming that Great Maul is OP and should be nerfed. Sad to see that this community's mind is as tight  as a chicken's butthole. For those who understood my idea and replied, would it be supportive or not, thank you for your opinions. I shall now quit this conversation and leave you guys on what seems to be now a 'don't nerf Maul, just learn 2 play' topic.Have fun.
Kudos to Kulin_Ban for the video

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 06:21:29 pm »
I never could outspam a great maul. And if you Nerf it they'll just switch to the beer keg on a stick. Allow players to chamber the overheads at least. Having 0 options to defend against the maul kind of rediculous. And don't say manuever cause maulers can spin in circles with that overhead and connect anywhere during the swing.  I've gotten hit on the toe and killed by that several times.

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 12:44:18 am »
fought a guy last night round 3ish, he was pure str, I MEAN PURE STR, ive got 6 IF 20 str(lvl 29) he 1-2 shot me in mail, i bring a maul and he dies... COUNTERED... O WAIT!!! it took 6-7 hits n a few times he lived long enough to 1 shot me. other wise he was near unstoppable 1v1.... just like a maul right?
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics