Author Topic: How to not get raped in Medieval 2!  (Read 34040 times)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
How to not get raped in Medieval 2!
« on: May 10, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »
Jesus Christ. Playin the campaing in medium and I keep getting raped there all the time from all sides eventually.

Played as france, was fighting 3 wars in a row at somepoint. It was I took towns and I lost towns but I still gained more than I lost althou I was outnumbered and financially ruined sometimes. Eventally 2 more factions tought it be a good idea and thats when I started to loose my ground and I said fuck it.

Than as Venice. Everything was perfect and I was rich. Milanese and Holy Roman Empire both desided to rape me at the same time. Again somehow I managed to gain some ground in the wars at somepoint. Althou they raped me and the pope did nothing. And when I wanted to rape em back the scumbag pope excommunicated me. Still I managed. Than fcking Poland and Hungary both came from other sides and people in Venice kept rebelling against me for I dunno what reasons and I kept loosing the capital cause I really didnt want to slaughter the taxpayers. After that shit I just went fuck this game.

Is there any way to win here? Diplomacy is complete crap here absolutely pointless. I kept making perfect diplomacy with both Milanese and Holy Roman empire and that didnt do shit and they still ninjaattacked me. I had alliances, nobody really helped me. I had moneh, lost it all eventually. My spies, assassins and merchants did their job brilliantly. AND asking for peace never helps as they wont accept it unless u give em all your gold, lands or you are almost destroying em.

So my question is how to play this shit? I never had this much problems in Shogun and Empire. Am I doing something wrong here?

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
Re: How to not get raped in Medieval 2!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 03:17:37 pm »
+2
there is no cure for ultimate suckage..... i am sorry but no MTW2 for you
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:09:35 pm »
+2
Learn to completely obliterate the incompetent AI on the battlemap, then the rest is just window dressing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:40:59 pm »
Try not to leave border cities unguarrisonned it encourages neighbouring allies to backstab you.

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:02:51 pm »
Try not to leave border cities unguarrisonned it encourages neighbouring allies to backstab you.

Ye, thats exactly what I noticed. It does not just encourage em, they pretty much instantly backstab u if u take your army too far from your capital to fight somewhere. The AI doesnt give a shit what diplomatic deals u have, how much allies u have, how much cash u have  or you in allliance with them. If they see a small opening they immediately rape u. Now thats complete crap, im going back to Empire Total War. Fuck this game! Youd think diplomacy would be worth a 2 shits but no, its just for lolz. Especially when the pope just randomly keeps having my diplomats excommunicated for lolz. :mad: fuck this game to hell!!!!

Offline Arn_Magnusson

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
  • "cRPG is a disgrace!" - Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ForlorN
  • Game nicks: ForlorN_Arn_Magnusson, French_Knight_the_Coward
  • IRC nick: Arn_Magnusson
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:33 pm »
Diplomacy in computer games never will be such useful as in life. But this one is realistic in point, that if you left your cities with no troops around everybody in these times would attack you. At first enlarge your economy, thats always my first point :D Then when you're stabilized, have full holdings you can build an mobile army ready to conquer, just start the slaughter ^^ Might take some time, but you're unstoppable with protected realm, strong economy and one army. Conquer them all \o/

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:20:39 pm »
YE true. But I always have like 2-6 regiments guarding the towns against small rebelgroups and riots. But the AI is just such a huge douchebag. Like for instance, I played Venice. I had like 23 regiments in and near Venice. When I moved out 10 regiments slightly further from the capital(1 turn further) immediately I got called to war by 4 factions, 2 of who I had alliance and who I gave gifts to, to keep em cool. Absolutely nothing. This sucks ass!

Offline Arn_Magnusson

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:25:58 pm »
I meant full garrisons, in every city, I know it's very hard to keep it but I just say again: economy, economy and tactical genious.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:35 pm »
+2
Milanese you say?

Sounds like Vanilla. There is your problem.

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 06:41:28 am »
Full garrisons huh? Well I am very cheap with my money and I did mess around with my economy first thing. But yea, I did not even dare to fully garrison all the towns due to the upkeep. But ye, than again garrisoning em with peasants wont cost very much and can be effective. 1 decent knight regiment costs about the same as 6 peasant regiments per turn. That might work. Thx! :wink:

Offline Arn_Magnusson

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 10:41:54 am »
Just remember about ranged (esspecialy archer - fire arrows) and pikemans, AI will charge througth the gates and smash at your, even worst, pikemans.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 10:49:02 am »
Vanilla M2 at medium difficulty? You shouldn't be losing any towns, ever, except for the odd rebellion... Trick is to build 1 decent, well-rounded army and conquer your neighbours one by one faster than they can declare wars on you, lol. Works with any faction, tested.
I'd understand having problems surviving as Western Rome in Barbarian Invasion for R:TW, that is somewhat tricky (but still quite possible and very satisfying).

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 12:03:39 pm »
+1
Well finally I gained a descent foothold as Venice. Sicily conqured all my nearby neibhours: Milan and Empire towns. Than I had a damn long war with them. I was finacially ruined and so where they, but I finally managed to make their invading forces stop by taking their 2 big towns. Than they shutted da fuck up. Than Hungary kept spamming invasionforces from the other side of the faction. And I conqured his most prosperous towns and asked peace +10k everytime I took a town. And now I seem unstobbable. Hungary still keeps sending his rapesquads but not for long. :wink:

Offline Arn_Magnusson

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »
+2
Good to see you enjoy playing this great game, I wish you luck and dominating over the world!

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 09:36:23 am »
+5
I found the french campaign so easy, just because of your location and easy access to a few rebel towns to start.

Keys to victory:

Early game:

1 Secure all bordering rebel towns as fast as possible (gives you more villages, denies the AI)
2 Get trade rights with EVERYONE (you will take a small faction relation hit for trading with enemies of other factions but this wont matter in the long run)
3 Build up your roads markets ports and farms as high as you can as fast as you can in all your settlements.  This should be first priority in any new settlement you conquer as well.
4 Plan your general game path now, which direction you want to head, who your first few nation targets will be.
5 Start preparations to join the first crusade when its called (usually called 20-30 turns in), this is an easy way to get an awesome general early on.  (you should choose someone young, with decent stats, and preferably if you can someone in the direct line of succession)
6 If you are catholic do not declare war on any catholic state.  If you wait long enough they will declare war on you and your reputation wont suffer as much.

Midgame:

1 Control the papacy if you are catholic.  Choose one town and build up a church as high as you can get it then grab the theologians guild when its offered and start recruiting priests like crazy.  After a certain point you will be pumping out priests with almost full piety and they will almost instantly become cardinals.  Doing this makes sure the pope will ALWAYS like you.  In the rare event that you do get excommunicated, you elect a new pope in a few years and you will be reconciled because the next pope will be french.  (currenly in my france campaign with the exception of two preferiti i control all the cardinals)
2 Make sure that any towns bordering potentially hostile factions has at least a garrison of 7 stacks.  You can use militia they work fine for defense.  My default garrisons are 4 Ranged 3 melee (preferably with spears) You can throw one cav in there if you like, sometimes against stupid AI you can get your cav out in the field and flank their arty if they bring any.
3 Do not be afraid to let them siege you, do not fight in the field unless you have the clear advantage in either numbers or troop type.  You have a massive advantage as a defending army.  I have had a 5 stack of troops defend against a fullstack of troops just because i knew how to position them on defense.
4 Dont build up all castles, pick one or two "super" castles and build them up.  Convert other castles to towns as you expand outward past them.  Its best if you choose a costal area for a super castle and keep a fleet near by so you can quickly move troops about by boat instead of on foot.
5 Prioritize your targets, you will be at war with multiple factions but you can let them wash upon your walls on siege after siege as you deal with whoever you want.  I was at war with HRE for years before i finaly took them out simply because i didnt need their territories and i had my sights set on england, spain, and moors.

Late game:

1 You control the papacy, call crusades as often as possible
2 invest in armories, they can make all the difference
3 do not neglect your markets and merchants.  They will supplement the lost income from all the broken trade agreements.
4 If a settlement becomes too unruly send a general with low chivalry to the area, take the garrison out and let them rebel.  Take the settlement back with the general and sack the populace.  It should net you a decent amount of gold and the populace will now be in order.
5 Remeber to adjust your capitol to the center of your empire. it will help keep outlaying towns in order
6 Archers and heavy infantry will be your best friends.  It looks tempting to have an army full of noble knights, but your bread and butter will be spear wielding infantry and archers.  Remember this.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:39:09 am by Ganner »