Poll

How well did you like the beta? (1 worst, 5 best)

8 (14%)
4 (7%)
9 (15.8%)
14 (24.6%)
22 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: May 05, 2012, 09:46:27 am

Author Topic: Rate your beta experience  (Read 10068 times)

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
Re: Rate your beta experience
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 07:33:10 pm »
Must say you've highlighted all my gripes with the skill system. In already bored with the weapon attacks. Would love it to be as customisable as the first.

Yep.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 08:16:47 pm »
Looking on the forums, supposedly it's because they don't want people to make 'bad builds' as occurred in GW1 after a point. This way it forces people automatically into standardised builds. Kinda lame.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:48 pm »
Bad builds? You mean like op builds? Lame. They should at least make weapon skill variations.

Anyways I rate the pve as 3/5 and pvp 5/5. Te game does need improvement in weapon skills, but i think there is enough utility skills to make a "unique" build. Pve didn't surprise me that much but I was disappointed tht I couldn't have any heroes or henchman.( maybe later in the game?)

Pvp was simply amazing. Pvp arenas were fun but what I loved was the battlegrounds. Group tactics, siege weapons, castles, caravans, all just so good for pvp.

Overall a 4/5

Edit: I only got up to lvl 6 as norn guardian though so I haven't done much pve content.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:31:13 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline marco1391

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Legio_Marco1691
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:13 am »
I agree on almost everything tot said, voted 3.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:40 am »
What I kind of miss is the skill needed to be good at this game. Atleast from my first experience I don't really see player skill dominating the field.. it will be more about who will bring more people (WvW) or who will make the best team compilation (structured PvP).
But I guess in the end it comes down to teamwork.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:01:27 am by Vibe »

Offline Havoco

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 01:57:51 am »
Heh idk y it was locked, must've pressed it on accident..... Derp
Pock gobblers

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 02:57:20 am »
Bad builds? You mean like op builds? Lame. They should at least make weapon skill variations.

Bad builds as in noobish skill combinations apparently. Like they wanted to make sure that you don't end up running with a bunch of people who are useless (tbh happened a lot in the first). It's the same reason they also don't have true tank/healer classes anymore. They wanted to avoid the 'holy trinity' requirement of monk, warrior and range (necro, elem, ranger ect).

Whilst I appreciate the concept, it just comes across as dumbed down and less dynamic.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 03:41:56 am »
O I guess that makes sense, but I always felt that was part of the skill base in gw1. Experienced players with good knowledge could come up with some really good builds on their own.(although I thought some were game breaking.) then you'd have newbies that would run N/R builds using 3 blood magic spells, 2 minion master skills and have charm/comfort animal.( I asked this person if he had a heal for his minions, the response I got was: Doesn't comfort animal heal them?)

Btw: I miss dwarves
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:54:32 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 10:20:33 am »
Was surprised that WvWvW, PvP and PvE were all loads of fun. The combat feels nice and I loved the occasional 1 vs 1 I had with a player. Those situations are rare though. In WvWvW theres mostly a dozen of your players fighting a dozen of theirs, and with all the effects going on there is just no way to tell when to dodge. Same for PvE when fighting 40 ogres with 20 players or most other engagements. It basically all comes down to you using your skills effectively on your own, instead of properly reacting to what your opponent does. There is just no way to see that properly in the bulk of the fights.

The game was also horribly optimized. I have a reasonably decent pc, but I had my settings turned to lowest and still my framerate was somewhere around 20 in fights. Really hope that is going to change.

4/5

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:43 pm »
Me and Mholes were on yesterday midnight 2v6 and we won, had all kind of little battles together and won like 6 of them.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 12:46:23 pm »
then you'd have newbies that would run N/R builds using 3 blood magic spells, 2 minion master skills and have charm/comfort animal.

This was my first ever build in GW1  :lol:

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 01:07:14 pm »
you guys should have realised YEARS ago that the skill system in gw2 would be way worse than gw1, its not like they kept it a secret. check out the secret world because its looking alot like gw1 in its skill bar, although I recon it will be as instanced as gw1.

as for the no healer/tank stuff this is MUCH better than gw1, most people complaining are just bad at the game. no you can't "mash" heal its on cooldown you idiot. you have to play smart to stay alive, no more standing still whacking the enemy while someone else heals you.

gw1 got to the point where you would enter pvp and if you didn't have a monk everyone would /resign, the complete reliance on healers practically ruined the game.

but yeah ofc I will miss gw1 skill system and alot of other things from gw1, I think gw1 skill system was too much effort (ie impossible) for them to balance.

but gw2 seems a much better game overall, and a damn good sequel. remember most game sequels are just copy and pasting the whole gameplay. gw1 is still there I was playing it recently, its still fun just not enough people for pvp really.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:08:58 pm by Banok »

Offline joespose

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: JoesToes
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 02:02:56 pm »
Me and Mholes were on yesterday midnight 2v6 and we won, had all kind of little battles together and won like 6 of them.

Mholes is a total beast at PVP. He's a great example of someone with skill dominating, i would often be on the floor admiring him dancing between opponents

Offline Count_RisArch

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Keep on Rotting in the Free World...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: RisArch
  • IRC nick: RisArch
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 03:20:03 pm »
Ok. So i did play (a bit) but seeing as my comp is really on its last legs my experience was kinda hampered by various crashes (excluding server issues) which meant my play was kinda rubbish at times, but hey, I expected it! Time to save for a new computer!

Also, sorry people, the Norn race and starting zone are fucking crap, the server issues, zone design and my shitty comp all combined to me going "holy fuck i've wasted £50" and "what an over-hyped pos this is"...Fortunately on sunday i sneakily re-rolled human and...It was great! Despite the processor and gfx crashes every 10-15 mins I managed to get to level 8, fell in love with the Warrior's Rifle, 2h Hammer and GS and generally had a blast shooting,bashing and slashing the crap out of centaurs. The server issues by then had also leveled out so it was laggy but nothing like the launch on friday.

So really I have 2 scores, for the Norn zone and launch on friday 1/5, really even without my hardware issues it was one of the worst beta launches I've ever been in. With a fresh start on a less crowded sunday with a race I actually had some interest in, off TS and taking everything at the shitty slow pace my comp demands i'd give a generous 4/5. While I didn't experience any WvW or PvP the PvE experience made me happy enough to justify pre-purchasing the game.

Looking forward to the next event, where hopefully I'll have a nice new computer to play it on!
Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.
Imperial Historian Duiker