Author Topic: Your way to play ''Rome:Total war''  (Read 20776 times)

Offline Mr. Hannibal

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Your way to play ''Rome:Total war''
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:33:01 pm »
So, i know that a lot of you play Rome:Total war, so i made this topic  where you can discuss your favorite play style,faction or just neat tricks that you want to share in this game, with mods or without them. Let's get started, shall we.

My favorite faction is the Germans, they are pure awesome and actually kinda over powered. This is the on;y faction with whom i have conquered Rome and 50 other settlements, but the - is that you can't play after you reach your goal. I was kinda sad,but i had a lot of fun, because it has so much mixed units, and it's most basic unit, the German spearmen (?) were one of my main soldiers, with who i destroyed Roman armies.

In my opinion, it's pro's and con's are:
+ wide variety of troops
+ it's troops had high morale
+ it's economy is fairly good
+ not much squalor (which is a major problem for me)

- bad fleet (same for the most ''barbarians'')
- bad armored units
- although the economy wasn't bad, it wasn't great neither

And some tips that i learnt:
If your city has high squalor, you can just take the army out,retake it and then execute the population.
Keep your taxes on ''Very High'' so the city doesn't overpopulate and gives you much money at the same time.
Use war dogs when against barbarians in mid-fight to cause chaos.
Keep your general near your main bulk of the army,and send the cavalary to surround the enemy army from the flanks,or take out the archers,if they are left unperpared.
Make as much alliances as you can,so you wouldn't have to worry so much about your neighbors, you can break alliances later anyway.

Always play on very hard for must fun (and frustration)!!!

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
Re: Your way to play ''Rome:Total war''
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:03:52 pm »
+2
I remember one time in barbarian Invasion I held a city with a wooden wall with only a bodyguard unit and 2 town watch´s against a whole barbarian army.The last 4 Units I had to kill with my bodyguards only, constantly charging them into the enemy and drawing back until they routed.

Went on for about 2 hours.

But It was ridiculously fun and one of the most remembered moments of my videogaming history.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:06:32 pm »
+1
Playing Rome Total War without the Roma Surrectum mod is goddam sad.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=251
(click to show/hide)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »
I only tried RTR mod, it was alright.

Played as Carthage and the Greek Cities for some time, never really expanded though.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:18:44 pm »
I don't think the germans are op. The only factions which are really op are the roman factions imo. They have a great infantry from the beginning on and a good cav later (you have the generals unit anyway, which is one of the best cav units).
I like to play the babarians from time to time, but it sucks that they don't have the variety of units the romans have.

Currently I try to rebuild the roman empire in babarian invasion. Just had a big siege battle against the huns. It was like 700 romans against 4000 huns, but I only lost like 20 men. :D Because it was in a city all their mounted archers were useless and their infantry isn't that good. I think I could have won the battle with only 2 foederati infantry units and 1 general unit, cause 50 or 60 percent of the huns were killed by the watch towers anyway. The streets were plastered with dead huns. :D

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:42:22 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Get a mod you nub!

Try Europa Barbarorum or Roma Surrectum and you'll never return to vanilla.

Offline Mr. Hannibal

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:46 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Get a mod you nub!

Try Europa Barbarorum or Roma Surrectum and you'll never return to vanilla.

I guess i should install those mods,because RTR didn't really impress me :/

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:14 pm »
Yeah, I'll probably give a shot for Roma Surrectum, RTR is just too.. bland or I don't know.

It's fine though.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:59:55 pm »
I actually enjoyed vanilla. The mods were awesome, but when I wanted a quick conquer the world...straight to vanilla I went. Brutii had to have been the easiest faction i've ever played in any game. Once I took Greece I had so much money I couldn't spend it all. (Having more than 50000 gold = bad traits for generals). I had every possible building queued, every possible unit queued and it just wouldn't work. OP faction is op.

Scipii is the funnest, Parthia is annoying simply because of its pajama infantry. Thrace's infantry charge is completely overpowered. Egypt. F Egypt.

RTR is fun to play one of the many minor factions in the east trying to compete with the Seleucids. Just PRAYING they don't fully turn their attention to you...

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:52 pm »
+2
Actually, RTW AI is retarded. Especially when it comes to diplomacy..

This happened during one of my carthago campaings, Iberians stabbed me in the back (as usual), besieged 2 settlements, then came this offer:

(click to show/hide)

Mindf*ck.

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:59 pm »
I only play Rome with Europa Barbarorum. It's just one of two best strategic mods ever with action before XX century(the second one is Magna Mundi for EU3). I'm now during a Bactria campaign on Alex.exe engine(and with submods pack)... so hard at the beginning of the game... Seleukids everywhere
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:14:54 pm by HUtH »
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:18:54 pm »
I only play Rome with Europa Barbarorum. It's just one of two best strategic mods ever with action before XX century(the second one is Magna Mundi for EU3). I'm now during a Bactria campaign on Alex.exe engine(and with submods pack)... so hard at the beginning of the game... Seleukids everywhere
Bactria was fucking awesome, so much cool troops.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 12:12:50 am »

(click to show/hide)

Mindf*ck.

Lol, I try to picture a guy begging not to be killed while trying to be threatening about it  :D

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 07:48:42 am »
Parthia is annoying simply because of its pajama infantry

IRL Parthia was "annoying" and deadly effective because of their Horse Archers :D

Crassus' legions were defeated at Carrhae (modern Harran in Turkey) in 53 BCE by a numerically inferior Parthian force. Crassus' legions were mainly infantry men and were not prepared for the type of swift, cavalry-and-arrow, attack that the Parthian troops were particularly adept at; the same type of attack that Genghis Khan later utilised to great effect. The Parthians would get within shooting range, rain a barrage of arrows down upon Crassus's troops, turn, fall back, and charge forth with another attack in the same vein. They were even able to shoot as well backwards as they could forwards, increasing the deadliness of their onslaught.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:09 am »
Welp others have already said all there is to be said I think. Vanilla Total War is ridiculous once you've played some of the other mods. And the retardedness of the AI is not present only in diplomacy. Movements on the campaign map rarely if ever make any sense (although sometimes, seemingly out of sheer luck, they would do something clever. I'm chalking it up to monkey with a typewriter syndrome). The worst though is the battle map AI. Even with Darthmod (most mods have it) outmaneuvering and fucking up a much large enemy forces is way too easy. And hard/hard is the stupidest artificial handicap ever, it doesn't make the enemy any smarter, just makes their troop stats/gold production have bonuses compared to yours.