Author Topic: 2 weapons dominate 2h/pole.  (Read 23773 times)

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: 2 weapons dominate 2h/pole.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 09:41:38 am »
Well current upkeep system is a fucked up fail anyway.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 09:53:49 am »
+2
Polearm usage is already pretty diverse. Don't really see the GLA dominating that much there. 2h axes might get a buff.

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:39 am »
Is this devolving into a Pole vs 2her debate? I do agree that stagger should go, but 2hers and poles seem pretty balanced.

If you want, perhaps do something to promote their strengths? Such as giving 2hers +1her/Pol prof if they use their weapon in off mode [As an example, using a longsword with a shield will add 50% of your 2her prof into 1her for as long as it's used that way, or if used in half sword mode, 50% of your 2her prof will go into pole prof for as long as you use it that way, again, just examples]. That might help diversify swords or other weapons [LS/Katana/MS with shield for chasing archers, or running into pikes, 2h mode for everything else].

Edit: Apparently Vexus wrote something somewhat similar when I was typing :|

For poles, IDK, I used most of them until they piss me off/annoy me/fail me, then I start the cycle all over :|. Most of them work fine [long voluge is one of the few I wouldn't touch again] and I don't think they need any diversifying stuff from my experience against them.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:19 am »
+1
the only solution is to nerf ranged

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 11:01:47 am »
+1
I'll take a long war axe any day over the GLA personally.

imo the only way to increase diversity on the battlefield would be to buff individuality and nerf follower mentality.  :lol: Just look at the kuyaks and the number of kuyak users. Armors basically increase in armor, weight, and price in a fairly even scale, and the kuyaks are in no way the best looking armor (at least imo) yet there are hordes of kuyak users. People see others using a certain item and doing well with it, and for some reason then believe that they will also be able to do that well if they take the same gear, which is of course complete bullshit.

I see nothing overpowered about either the GLA or the danish. Are they good weapons? Yes. Are they well rounded? Yes. Are they the end-all ultimate weapons? Hell no.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 11:12:51 am »
I use Greatsword, whohoo I'm so very alternative.

on matter, basicly this:
I agree with the premise of your argument but I don't really have an opinion about any course of action.

Only Idea which could be worth a try is to make the top tier weapons much more expensive.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 11:13:08 am »
+1
I don't see the problem with polearms, but high end 2h's are all the same. We need more high end stuff that aren't swords.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:37 am »
I don't see the problem with polearms, but high end 2h's are all the same. We need more high end stuff that aren't swords.
problem is high end really depends on length here and you can't simply make axes, maces and hammers as long as the greatswords.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 12:05:11 pm »
+1
Great Long Axe and Danish. They are just crowding the battlefield.

A 2h player? most likely danish.
Every polearmer or polecav pulls out a big ass axe and hiltslashes it..

Paul, Fasaderp. Do you really want this bias towards the longest ranged weapons?

I've said it a gazillion times, your formulas for 2h/pole doesn't reflect the battle power of weapons sufficiently. IMO it doesn't count in the range of weapons and weigh it in enough..

That's really the core problem. It's not some kind of superstition or romanticism with big swords that makes so many players use them. I think i.ex the Longsword is an excellent sword, perfectly usable in battle. The only problem is that there is another sword that is longer AND does more damage in cut and pierce. The experienced speed difference in game marginal, and not many wants to spend those saved $$$ on armor since it will slow them down too much. And with a shorter sword you need superior speed to not get backpedalspammed..

To be more precise. I think the reason the longest weapons are more powerful than they "should" be according to formula, is that the longest weapon will always outrange everything else (duh). And towards the end of the list of the longest wep, they outrange almost everything, and very little outrange them. So in a random selection of encounters, you get the "Backpedal and get free slash effect" much more often with a long wep.  So the metagame adapts to this, and you end up with everyone using a danish greatsword.

Now the question:
Should we nerf the longest 4 directional weapons a little bit and have a more varied battlefield?

The only melee infantry players NOT using a danish or a Great Long Axe are different variants of roleplayers.

This is not me having a problem with these weapons. It's just really boring to see so little of our amazing armory getting used.

The answer is the exact opposite of nerfing the top weapons. it is to BUFF all the underused weapons. They aren't used because they aren't truly viable -- not because those top weapons are all that crazy better. Do you see where I'm going?

Polearm usage is already pretty diverse. Don't really see the GLA dominating that much there. 2h axes might get a buff.
Buffing the 2h axes is a step in the right direction.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 01:44:02 pm »
+6
EU1 infantry by damage dealt in a month

(click to show/hide)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »
+1
Nice stats, lol at DGS damage

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 02:07:35 pm »
EU1 infantry by damage dealt in a month

(click to show/hide)
Can we please see a similar one but with ranged, to check the horn/rus/long bows comparison? (and xbows too, although i dont know much about them)
Nice stats, lol at DGS damage
qft here

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 02:19:33 pm »
I dont think you need to nerf them, leave them as they are. Makes longswords special when so few use them and imo it is alot better than the greatswords. Or you could increase the damage on the shorter swords, make them hit like a danish/german. The Greatswords have the reach, the shorter swords have the speed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:28:53 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 02:31:32 pm »
Wow, long spears dealt the most damage out of all polearms? That's.. interesting.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:32:47 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 02:45:32 pm »
And still less than 2nd most popular 2her, considering they are widely used "utility" weapons :lol: