Author Topic: 2 weapons dominate 2h/pole.  (Read 24028 times)

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: 2 weapons dominate 2h/pole.
« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:54 pm »
+1
GLA and Danish are fine.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2012, 11:41:11 pm »
GLA and Danish the best polearm and 2h? Really? I've used a lot of weapons as a 2H and a polearmer and I find those two weapons to be quite overrated. Glaive, Poleaxe and Long Bardiche all seem superior to the GLA from my point of view. SoW, HBS and Greatsword all seem superior to the Danish in my eyes too.

Also, it's right what people said about popularity. If some people destroy entire teams with a weapon, people will copycat those players. I blame Tor for the amount of GLA users and people like Phyrex, Cooties and Bjord for an extreme amount of greatswords. I've never been a min-maxer, I just wanted my own look but every time I change a weapon the amount of people who uses it increases. As an example I never saw any long awlpikes when I found out that it should be the weapon that would define my looks, now there's tons of it. I ended up selling it for that very reason and I usually end up doing the same thing with my other weapons too. Popular weapons = No no. Chase did the same with the regular awlpike too. They were a lot rarer than before he started playing with it.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2012, 12:19:38 am »
+1
GLA and Danish the best polearm and 2h? Really? I've used a lot of weapons as a 2H and a polearmer and I find those two weapons to be quite overrated. Glaive, Poleaxe and Long Bardiche all seem superior to the GLA from my point of view. SoW, HBS and Greatsword all seem superior to the Danish in my eyes too.

Also, it's right what people said about popularity. If some people destroy entire teams with a weapon, people will copycat those players. I blame Tor for the amount of GLA users and people like Phyrex, Cooties and Bjord for an extreme amount of greatswords. I've never been a min-maxer, I just wanted my own look but every time I change a weapon the amount of people who uses it increases. As an example I never saw any long awlpikes when I found out that it should be the weapon that would define my looks, now there's tons of it. I ended up selling it for that very reason and I usually end up doing the same thing with my other weapons too. Popular weapons = No no. Chase did the same with the regular awlpike too. They were a lot rarer than before he started playing with it.

This isi a factor, but something else i realise: when im a cav, there are spears everywhere, when im an archer, its shielders that multiply, when im a shielder, maulers appear out of nowhere!
My guess: given a certain composition in a server, this gets hugely exaggerated by what you want to see. If you start using a certain weapon you hadnt realised before, then suddenly wait, a few people use it. after a while: oh, this and this and this other guy all use it, later, omfg "everyone" uses it!

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2012, 01:13:05 am »
+1
No.

Just look down and the ground is littered with mw danish.

Look up and at the statistics a few pages back. The same.

This is what this thread is about. I guess I tried to add in that weapon range is undervalued a little in the general weapon stats balance.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Zandieer

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2012, 03:34:37 am »
This isi a factor, but something else i realise: when im a cav, there are spears everywhere, when im an archer, its shielders that multiply, when im a shielder, maulers appear out of nowhere!
My guess: given a certain composition in a server, this gets hugely exaggerated by what you want to see. If you start using a certain weapon you hadnt realised before, then suddenly wait, a few people use it. after a while: oh, this and this and this other guy all use it, later, omfg "everyone" uses it!
This.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:37 am »
I agree with danish being overused and probably for a reason (both great range and damage), but while GLA might have the damage, it doesn't have the range. Imo Poleaxe is a much better weapon than GLA.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2012, 08:23:03 am »
+1
Too long of a thread, can't be bothered with reading it (especially when i see who started it  :twisted:), I'll just say 2 things:

1. (said more then a year ago) - More gear diversity on the battlefield is definitely a good thing, at least for the regular Battle servers (which means more weapons & armor should be made a viable choice), didn't you guys had enough of clone wars in Strat already ?

2. The Bloody Nine has a bloody awesome avatar.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1006
  • Infamy: 1509
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2012, 10:31:55 am »
+1
Stats say Danish is OP but I still see nothing but pikes in various shapes/sizes on the battlefield.

Thing about Danish GS and swords in general is that they are great for 1vs1 but if you're better player than your opponent (who's using Danish GS) you're most likely gonna beat him. If you're fighting 3 guys who are using Danish GS and there is a difference between your skill (experience) and theirs you'll gonna win in most cases, even easier if they approached you one on one. Most smart players know why things work like this and many of them "abuse" it, including me. It's way easier to fight multiple noobs using swords than any other group of noobs in this mod.

On the other hand, pike isn't the best weapon 1vs1 but that doesn't mean that better player won't kick your ass even if you're using Danish GS and he's using pike (for example: Zotte using long spear or Cecs using awlpike). But there is a big chance you'll win 1vs1 against someone who's on your skill level and using pike.

BUT.. if you are fighting two guys skilled as you are, you are dead (in scenario where they are using Danish GS that's actually an easier fight than 1vs1 with each of them). If you are fighting two complete noobs who bought Warband yesterday and they are using pikes, you'll have a tough time. Three of them will get you in most cases.

Which leads to conclusion that pike is epic weapon for fighting in groups and since we're mostly playing battle that's all it matters. You can't balance mod for duels when majority are playing battle where face to face duels are rare and it's mostly: gangbang, backstabbing, killing disabled enemies (bumped enemies) and other honorable activities we enjoy on big battle servers.

Danish is pretty crappy when you're fighting in formations, stab has long reach but it isn't very damaging, it's slow and can't be spammed like pikes can, sideswing are mostly useless in formation fights because you must know your hitboxes very well not to hit other members of your team and overhead is cool but you need to get near and that's when you're gonna get hit either by pikes or spammed by one handers. I play on my own for a reason, if I have someone by me fights are a lot harder because of early active blah blah cmp implemented (especially if my buddy is a shielder). Being agi whore means you're not made for fighting in groups because you'll lose your only advantage and that's speed because you lack maneuver space.

I bet now those who actually took time to read this WoT ask themselves, wtf is this guy smoking! Stats clearly show OPness of Danish GS... My theory is this: 2H swords are generally worse choice than many polearms but plenty people still use them, some noobs because they like the looks and some experienced players for style (I would use poleaxes if they weren't so fugly weapons imho). The difference is, that we have more experienced players using swords (Danish GS) then we have good polearm users. I can count good EU polearmers on one hand and when it comes to "2H crutchers" there is at least 20-30 of them. If you don't believe they are decent players, how about you ask cmpx for a free respec so all of us can show you that racking kills is just as easy with certain polearms as it is with greatswords :wink:

Whenever I picked poleaxe from the ground with 1 wpf (pretty crap damage because I have just 6 PS and wpf is huge factor when it comes to my damage output) I always managed to kill someone. Fighting shielders is 3 times easier with poleaxe than with swords, not just because I trashed their precious shield in shreds. It's because of fear factor, they fear me much more when they know they can lose their shield. Fear factor is most important thing in this mod, you can win many fights if you know what your opponents think at that moment you're fighting him, no matter how better he might be.

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2012, 07:05:45 pm »
Nice post Leshma.  :D

Especially this part:

Fear factor is most important thing in this mod, you can win many fights if you know what your opponents think at that moment you're fighting him, no matter how better he might be.

In a similar vein I have noticed most of my deaths regardless of class or weapon I use are due to incorrect thinking(believing I am out of range when I am not, assuming that I am faster when I am not, etc).

Psychology is an important part of most competitive games.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:08:00 pm by Remy »

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2012, 08:01:38 pm »
Fear factor is most important thing in this mod, you can win many fights if you know what your opponents think at that moment you're fighting him, no matter how better he might be.

Definitely helps.  Sometimes I bring a mallet with me just for the intimidation value it holds.  Few will try to block the overhead even though I very rarely crushthrough with my eighteen strength, unloomed weapon.  The best is when blobs fall apart at the sight of the mallet; some enemies deciding to find another way around rather than face it.  Makes me chuckle.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2012, 07:58:49 pm »
...and people like Phyrex, Cooties and Bjord for an extreme amount of greatswords.

Funny, I still get name dropped after 8 months of absence?

In any case I am in unison with your sentiment, popular players will make room for new trends and that kinda messes with your style - it becomes non-existant. It's hard to keep a personal style when a lot of people start emulating you.

Which is why apart from my sword which I will never change, I use ugly combinations that defy stylistic ideals and beliefs. That way you can put your own mark or associations on items, specifically ones that are seen as lacking in aesthetics.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2457
  • Infamy: 1037
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2012, 09:06:48 pm »
Your archer was so mainstream.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2012, 09:38:16 pm »
Your archer was so mainstream.

Shut your face, Smegma.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »
+1
Danish isn't overrated, it simply is the best greatsword in crpg.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #239 on: March 17, 2012, 01:19:51 am »
+2
I've been to NA a few times, but It's hard to see anything because of the chat-shitstorm cluttering the view.

Yeah I feel you, its almost as hard as trying to watch anything over the rage polls that pop up on EU every 10 seconds
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway