Author Topic: Armor & Weapon Proficiency Reduction  (Read 13821 times)

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Armor & Weapon Proficiency Reduction
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 09:09:05 pm »
+1
I have calculated the weapon proficiency reduction due to armor weight for crossbows using the data provided by Gafferjack.

armor weight modified proficiency = base proficiency * (1 - 0.01 * effective armor weight)

and

effective armor weight = 3*head armor weight + body armor weight + leg armor weight + 2*hand armor weight - 7

As with the previous version, I would assume that effective armor weight values less than 0 would count as 0. The blue dots on the plot below are Gafferjack's data points and the black line shows the calculated values using the equations above.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 09:10:50 pm »
Hmm, is that just for range or is it for everything?

I thought it was 0.008 not 0.01 but that was from a second hand source to be fair.

Interesting, thank you for sharing. +1 for your great work!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 10:10:41 pm »
That source was referencing a calculation I had previously made and posted in this very thread. I do not have the data to make the same calculations for other weapon types at this time, and another experiment I am currently running prevents me from collecting such data for the time being.

Offline Meloncat

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 01:37:27 pm »
Do you assume the 7.5 limit of armor weight is true of bows along with thrown and crossbow? I was hearing an estimate of a 5 weight limit (which seems kinda low to me, since a helmet can rapidly gain weight due to the multiplying factor), but 7.5 would give me more latitude.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »
SO, In laymans terms, less armor points = more accuracy/speed for weapons
Just a soldier

Offline Mr_Moe

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 12:47:40 am »
Do you assume the 7.5 limit of armor weight is true of bows along with thrown and crossbow? I was hearing an estimate of a 5 weight limit (which seems kinda low to me, since a helmet can rapidly gain weight due to the multiplying factor), but 7.5 would give me more latitude.

As far as i heard the limit for archery was ~6. I'm pretty shure it WAS. I dunno if it's still the same limit. 
I would advise max. a Studded Leather Coat for archery. Most of the times a helmet is never needed, if anyone gets a headshot, oder hits you in the face with his weapon you will be dead anyways, a headarmor of ~15-20 wont save you.

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 02:03:49 am »
Do you assume the 7.5 limit of armor weight is true of bows along with thrown and crossbow?

I'd assume that the weight limit (which after my crossbow test is now speculated at 7) is universal across the board, but I don't have any hard evidence. I might test it when I get the time; it's easy enough to test yourself, though.

Most of the times a helmet is never needed, if anyone gets a headshot, oder hits you in the face with his weapon you will be dead anyways, a headarmor of ~15-20 wont save you.

If you're at an odd angle of attack or they're at the end of their attack animation, 20 armor can save your life. Another thing is that you're less susceptible to low-powered hits that might contribute to your demise; peasant weapons, rocks, throwing knives, etc. I agree that most of the time it won't help you if the enemy has a powerful enough weapon, though.

Offline Dom.Miguel

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Dom_Miguel, Telescopica, Jotunn and many others...
  • IRC nick: Dom.Miguel
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 11:40:39 pm »
well i aim for 7 effective weight (38 armour lamellar gauntlets ans studded leather coat) with archer and dont notice much difference from naked.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Khorin

Offline Warni

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 06:10:20 pm »
Hi all,

I was re-reading this thread and wondering if the calculation for the wpf reduction by armor is still valid in the current version. It seems that Gafferjack put a lot of work in this at the time, does anybody know for sure if this calculation is still valid:
armor weight modified proficiency = base proficiency * (1 - 0.0082 * effective armor weight)

Also, is the armor weight limit (under which there is no wpf penalty) still 7?

Thanks.