Author Topic: nerf horse xbow my old friends  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
Re: nerf horse xbow my old friends
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 12:20:01 pm »
+6
Last I remember was an amazing amount of whine about too much ranged stuff being around, the two gens I played an archer I mostly focused on taking down horse archers/xbows.

So...Tell your Archers/XBow/Throwing people to take down the HX?

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 12:25:19 pm »
My build allows me to be a horse crossbowman. I loomed my light crossbow purely for its ability to be used from horseback. I've not played HA recently, but from my experiences on EU1, HAs do better as individual players.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:18 pm »
HC are fine. They are slow at reloading, don't do a huge amount of damage (light crossbow  :rolleyes: ). They can be annoying sometimes but an HA has all the advantages.

This is an EU perspective though. There's rarely more than 1 HC on at a time on EU.

Offline Kivlov

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tungsten_HATS
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 12:30:51 pm »
People who has +3 Light xbow will rage

Just like the people who had Coursers or Arabians with 4 riding builds raged when they got changed, or when my beautiful 16-24 great maul build got nerfed etc. etc.
Changing requirements on things isn't uncommon but making light xbow unusable on horseback isn't the way to go. Upping it's strength requirement while mounted to reload or increasing reload time type of thing because light xbow on foot isn't a problem.

Also, lol @ saying they'd nerf HA because HC got nerfed. Horse Archers are fairly uncommon on NA, not sure about EU and I shrug off everything but headshots from HA's anyways in my heavier armour.

As for taking down the HC, they're all high 8-10 riding dedicated HC. They're harder to hit than normal cav because their mounts maneuver and accelerate better than your standard cavalry player. Takes a little more luck with the RNG on accuracy. I made one just for fun, 10 riding and stole a champ courser. Bloody ridiculous on that thing.

With speed bonus, they do pretty significant damage (considering it's only a light xbow) and then they just run off and reload and then come back. None of the danger of using a crossbow on foot because their reload is done while moving.

I'd say it's on the strong side of the spectrum and could use a little tweak, nothing drastic though.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:32:36 pm by Kivlov »
HATS CLAN
meow

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 12:31:33 pm »
+3
Last I remember was an amazing amount of whine about too much ranged stuff being around, the two gens I played an archer I mostly focused on taking down horse archers/xbows.

So...Tell your Archers/XBow/Throwing people to take down the HX?

That is the idea, but the HX players simply avoid the main crowds and pick at the edges.  If they see any ranged they run to another part of the field.  By the time the battle is down to 4v4, it'll be 4 infantry on one side (all the ranged footsoldiers are dead by the end) and 4 mounted bowmen on the other side.  The result is a virtual stalemate as neither side can kill the other.

It's more like the old "archers with ladders" problem -- it's not that it's OP, it's just it just pisses everyone off because these people are A) ineffective and B) virtually impossible to kill if they don't want to be killed.  It's 3 minutes of 100 dead people watching Rohypnol and Release Arrows miss 80% of their shots.

As a hybrid thrower, I can typically deal with cavalry.  Whenever HX players see me with throwing axes, they typically just stand off by about 50 meters and ineffectively lob shots at me.  I can't hit them, they can't hit me, the clock keeps ticking.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 12:46:23 pm »
+1
"With speed bonus, they do pretty significant damage (considering it's only a light xbow) and then they just run off and reload and then come back"

If I am not mistaken, speed bonus works only if your target moves towards you, your speed does not effect dmg output with ranged.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2250
  • Infamy: 197
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 01:39:12 pm »
What we need are better admins, like Thomek used to be.

If you are 2 vs 20 get back into fight ASAP or get kicked. There are HAs who don't waste people's time (Remy and Elmer) but there are way more jerks who ride and shoot till time runs out.

Also if one team has less than 10% players alive flags should appear.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 01:40:19 pm »
Elmer usually goes with a sword in the end. I don't know about Remy though.

Also, according to cmp, it's not breaking the rules. If you shoot as a HA as the last one vs. 20 it's allowed, but it's still dumb.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:17 pm »
"With speed bonus, they do pretty significant damage (considering it's only a light xbow) and then they just run off and reload and then come back"

If I am not mistaken, speed bonus works only if your target moves towards you, your speed does not effect dmg output with ranged.

You are correct as far as I know on foot, maybe it's different on horseback?

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »
HC are just a nuisance most of the time.

Sure there are times where a bunch of them stacked onto one team while the other has none/very few can be a big problem, but that's the same if a team is full of HA, or Cav, or ranged, or even pikemen tbh.

I think it's more of an issue with the balance system not taking player builds into account, not Horse crossbowmen specifically.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 04:38:31 pm »
As a cav lancer I'll be the first to say I can't stand horse xbows.  They are very effective at killing my horse.  They certainly serve a purpose and can really reek havoc on the enemy cavalry.  That being said, they are more of a support class, when it comes time to cleaning up the last few infantry they are basically useless. 

In my mind how do you balance the fact that horse xbow are serving a purpose and helping their team win (so long as they have other people on their team still alive), with the fact that they are useless once their own infantry dies?  Once they are the last ones alive it's basically like stalling the inevitable.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 04:42:55 pm »
Maybe add a rule that if they are last they have to dismount? Like the way archers had to jump off roof pre-ladder removal.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 04:45:36 pm »
+1
Maybe add a rule that if they are last they have to dismount? Like the way archers had to jump off roof pre-ladder removal.

That's different, you can kill a horse, you can't kill a house. Making them dismount isn't at all fair since the guys on foot are probably classed to be on foot while horsemen are... well, classed to be on a horse.

They just have to have some courtesy and think "1 vs 10", no point in running, and really put all their effort into killing the ones that they can before more than likely, inevitably dying slightly less heroically than they would have liked, to the first guy they attack.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 04:49:30 pm »
+1
The only thing that bothers me about it is I've seen one infantry left alive before getting yelled at for delaying when he runs away, basically thinning out the followers or going to a choke point, but for some odd reason it's acceptable for range.
And how!

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 05:01:56 pm »
+1
People are only doing Horse Crossbow as a gimmick because ROHYPNOL has been wrecking people as one for a couple weeks (but he is amazing at all cavalry so you can't say it's OP just because he does well with it). The only problem is that there are 5-10 Horse Crossbow on each team which isn't that fun as melee but the gimmick will pass soon.

So either take a break and play on siege for a week or do what I did and respec to HC and have fun delaying every round and making people rage.