Author Topic: suggestion: Battle with timer instead of endless deathmatch  (Read 724 times)

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
suggestion: Battle with timer instead of endless deathmatch
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »
Attacker A 1.500 troops
Defender D 500 troops
Server max 120 players

A / D : 1.500 / 500 = 3 / 1

A can hire max 120 / 4 * 3 = 90 players

D can hire max 120 / 4 * 1 = 30 players

1 player, 1 ticket, 1 life

When A or D cant get enough people to fight for them, their own fault and therefore their problem

A has 30 mins to win, otherwise he has to retreat and loses 20 % of his troops and equipment.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
Re: suggestion: Battle with timer instead of endless deathmatch
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:51:39 pm »
Bad idea.

It is not intuitive, limits the possibility of arranging tactical battles, and in the result will make Strategus battles less interesting for casual players - they will not get accepted in the roster of their favorite team due to the limited number of slots. In fact it makes it less interesting to all players, as pre-arranged battle requires preparation, finding time, and players count on spending some some fighting in such battle. In your model the battle would look just as one of the regular cRPG rounds. Is it worth it to leave cRPG server to join Strat server for just one round? For me - probably yes, because I'm in the faction, but for random player with x5 on cRPG server - probably not.

Plus - and that is even more important - in your example team A will almost always win - they need average 1:3 K/D to win, while team D needs average 3:1 K/D. Number if players in each team VERY important. Just imagine yourself fighting against three opponents at the same time... well, it may be difficult, right? Defenders are simply heavily outnumbered. I have seen battles where team with lower number of tickets won thanks to better skill, tactics, organization and sensible player base.

Currents/previous scaling system worked pretty well, it may need some tweaks as to the level on  which the scaling is adopted.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:00:50 pm by Erasmas »

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
Re: suggestion: Battle with timer instead of endless deathmatch
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:31 pm »
No and why,

Imagine someone spawn out of the map (happens) and there is no ranged unit to shoot him. Everyone would have to wait and admin to kick that guy out.