Poll

Who was the better General?

Wellington
78 (34.5%)
Napoleon
148 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 225

Author Topic: The Better General (Wellington or Napoleon)  (Read 15579 times)

Offline AlWiS

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The Better General (Wellington or Napoleon)
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 05:57:46 pm »
Napoleon has won so much beattles because of his soldiers.
The french soldiers wasnt scared´about the enemys but for example the prussia soldiers was scared of the french soldiers (Jena 1809)
But it was wrong to try to beat Russia
600000 soldiers died and so napoleon was beated ................

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 11:32:56 am »
Napoleon has won so much beattles because of his soldiers.
The french soldiers wasnt scared´about the enemys but for example the prussia soldiers was scared of the french soldiers (Jena 1809)
But it was wrong to try to beat Russia
600000 soldiers died and so napoleon was beated ................

Lol, right from your basic primary schoolbook?
The battle at Jena was 1806, and napoleon won that against a larger prussian army because of several aspects. Here are some:
  • French war-proven and high motivated soldiers
  • quick movement of the french army because of the absence of a unneeded supply tross
  • depricated army structure of the prussian: old tactics / officers promoted by servicetime not abilites
  • unclear command structure of the prussian army: 3 generals in high command -> 3 armies
  • Napoleons tactical commanding
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »
Erm, I'm neither French nor English but WITHOUT A DOUBT: Wellington.

Napoleon was greedy. He promoted his friends and relatives. He lived on dreams and his reputation. He expected men to die for him.

Wellington was a pragmatist. He did not ask men to do impossible things, he did not ask men to give their lives for no reason, he believed in well fed, well trained proffesional soldiers. He believed rate of fire, accuracy, and superior troop placement and focusing fire on the enemies strongest element. He used these tactics to break the french morale, since they would often be thrown to their deaths by overconfidant marshalls, recently promoted out of Napoleons hanger's on. 

Wellington kicked everyone's ass who tried it with him. He did it with less men, less supplies, he did it by making his men believe THEY could do it, and they inturn Trusted him not to kill them for nothing. He was harsh, ruthless, but fair to men of all social status. In his army, you would not be arrested and shot as a officer who failed his men, you would be quietly sent back to england and never allowed to command again.

So much of Europe think Napoleon was so great, I think he got lucky with who his advisors where. Its not a coincidence that both times he stood without his aides, his final battles, he lost so badly when he had almost all the advantages. Remember usually his moderm army where fighting local militias, armies built around the "rules" of a pre-musket age. He also lied and cheated and betrayed many people to get to power, never a good sign.

Wellington and his ilk won for the same reason einstein was defeated: You cannot attempt to reshape Europe through military might anymore, the world will NOT stand for it. Makes me sad that we seem to have lost all those men who seeing the way of things in so much of the world today, would have stood up and said, "Hey, THATS ENOUGH! This stops NOW!" and Wellington was the best of those men of his generation.

Napoleon doesnt deserve to even be remembered well, his name should be there next to einstein, Stalin, as one of the great plagues of europe. He certainly caused enough death and destruction. And the social and scientific advances of France under his power were already well in the works when he used social upheaval, in which the POPULANCE removed their Kings, to declare himself EMPEROR? Makes me sad the French stood for it and did not rise again and chop his nasty little head off too.

Wellington, realist > Napoleon, asshole

EDIT: Have never thought about it before, didnt realise untill today that ANYONE considers Napoleon a success, did a few seconds of reserach: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1038453/The-French-Fuhrer-Genocidal-Napoleon-barbaric-einstein-historian-claims.html

thats just one site I found within seconds. Seems Im not alone in seeing him for what he was, a neolithic dog, an asshole, just one more man who took what he wanted by force, and was punished for it. Stop idolising dickheads people, the real heroes of history are people like Miyamoto Musashi, who did amazing things but managed to keep genocide OFF his to to-do list.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:33:00 pm by Grey »
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »

Just read that. French morale was known for being.....inconsistant at best. The legend of the unbreakable French Columm was laid to rest with Napoleons death. But it was JUST that, a legend. The British main lines infantry could fire 3 rounds a minute, at 80 yards to hit a chest. The french could not match this, and even their most praised troops under a golden eagle standrd could not be made to walk into this fire twice. At Waterloo, the french had their very best troops, against a ragtag of soldiers from many nations, and still the french broke first.

Not wellington neither Napoleon....... Francisco Castaños  For The Win!!!!

(click to show/hide)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bail%C3%A9n

Les dimos una wena paliza. Andalucia por ti doy mi vida. Andalucía por sí, para España y la humanidad.

But in seriousness, this was a turning point in French peninsular invasion, but Napoleon should have known that he could not hold spain, that lesson was taught by El Cid to the moors 1 thousand years before, but greedy men will not learn the lessons of history, as hilter proved when invaded Russia. You cannot keep Spain (Iberia) from going guerrilla on you, you cannot invade Russia in winter, you cannot hold the med without malta and gibraltar.....all lessons it seems we had to relearn in every major war for last 2000 years.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:43:36 pm by Grey »
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Neostralie

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 01:06:24 am »
One of my relatives a great-great-[add lots of great]-father was engaged in the Russian Campaign of Napoleon.

I don't now mutch about the two men's carrier but one of them manage to conquier most of the europe and the other manage to stop the first to finish the job.

By the way,
Hannibal or Scipio Africanus?
William Wallas or Edouard I?
Lee or Grant?
The Chicken or the egg?
Ketchup or mustard?

You really care who has the greatest one? I don't.

Offline hyena

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Sausage and Egg McMuffin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hyena
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 12:36:42 pm »
Wellington was a Duke who reported to a King with a clear set of objectives issued to him.

Napolean had no higher power and declared himself 'Emperor', therefore removing any sense of focus or control.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 07:27:03 am »
+1
yeah, and despite all the constraints to his command, and retarded nobles that were assigned to him as officers, he still shit kicked the french from Portugal to France.

Offline hyena

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Sausage and Egg McMuffin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hyena
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 11:14:40 am »
+1
yeah, and despite all the constraints to his command, and retarded nobles that were assigned to him as officers, he still shit kicked the french from Portugal to France.

Plus he had Sharpe on his side.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 07:38:13 am »
+1
yeah, you dont fuck with sharpe.

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 12:16:37 pm »
+2
wellington was just a lucker whose ass was saved by some sauerkrauts. but he took all credits of waterloo. napoleon was much better. shitty history.
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:43 pm »
+1
ha, even if you dont give wellington credit for waterloo... what about every other battle he ever fought (which were all victories)

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:19 am »
ha, even if you dont give wellington credit for waterloo... what about every other battle he ever fought (which were all victories)

yeah, few victories against bunch of bribed hindu gurus. well, to be honest, he can only take credits of peninsular wars, nothing else.

oh i was nearly forgetting his failure in flanders, 1794..  8-)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:11:24 am by Tavuk_Bey »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline verinen

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Verinen
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 06:33:12 pm »
Gebhard von Blücher

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 11:15:11 pm »
Napoleon was some king of genius tactician.
It's a shame he went so full of himself after a while, but it's to be expected when you rule over hald of Europe.

I still think Napoleon was a better general overall than Wellington.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Sir_Simon_Jekyll

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Be without fear in the face your enemies
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Scourge of the North
  • Game nicks: John_Talbot_of_the_North
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 01:24:54 am »
I would also like to point out that the duke was willing to beg an arrogant spanish general to reinforce him so less brits would die at talavera.

Would Napolion have done that?

I think we can all agree on the answer to theat one.