Poll

Unsheathable, 3 slots, both, or neither?

unsheathable
3 slots
both
neither

Author Topic: [STATS] Should Great Maul be unsheathable or 3 slots?  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: [STATS] Should Great Maul be unsheathable or 3 slots?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 04:40:29 pm »
Ahaahaha, go try it yourself, there is more to it than that. Decent players can spam you and will.

lol no, there isnt really more to it. you just WISH there was more to it. its not hard to move mouse up and down while running into a crowd.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 04:45:21 pm »
The days of SUPERBEAST pulverising 10 people in a round are long gone.

fail.

ive seen 15-1 score first round, lolhammer. you should play some more crpg dude.

i bet you are lolhammer user.

word
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:11:59 am by Kalam »

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 05:07:55 pm »
Tried this thingy with stf char - 20\21, 6PS, 7ATHL, 154 wpf. To be honest it is more effective than I expected. Even in monks robe only.

Wanna try it with transitional armor..

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »
Make it 3 slot then.

Making it unsheatable is a big nerf for this weapon as the speed of the weapon affects how much time it takes you to make the block animation.

I know people hate crushthrough but try using one against everything not switching for a faster weapon when a 2her or some guy with a spamitar shows you will find out it's not so easy as you make it. If even swinging did crushthrough I would agree with you but only the overhead does.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »
word

Don't spam post four times in a row, edit your posts.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 06:04:52 pm »
Angantyr, it's harder than that. Apart from pikers, almost all weapons can spam you/use the hilt to deal full damage on you. Hammers are shit in 1 vs. 1 against comptent players, but a great weapon for support or vs. bad players.

There is already at least one build that prevent me from outspamming it. RuConquista_Chronos used it in such fashion. Most likely it's related to some swing technique.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 06:13:00 pm »
Just wear a heavy plate and absorb one hit from the high-speed low/medium-damage weapon and insta-kill with that one overhead.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 06:33:28 pm »
It's not THAT easy-mode UNLESS you have your uber 1v1 fighting weapon with you that you can use at will. It was kind of ridiculous when I went in with my 1h+shield, switched to my maul to kill a shielder battling someone, then just switched back.

This won't affect dedicated users that enjoy the weapon. You can still find good weapons on the ground from defeated foes, too. I believe that you should just drop the maul.

I will be (ab)using this tactic on my 1 wpf 2h character so people will understand, not just whine and do nothing.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 06:42:05 pm »
Only thing I disagree with you on making it unsheatable is having to drop the weapon if you want to block from the ranged people with a shield else I wouldn't care.

Making it 3 slot tough would make it a primary weapon not a side arm while still being able to use a 0-1 slot shield to cover yourself if in danger.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »
Make it unsheathable, but then many other weapons should be unsheathable too. At very least it should be 3 slots.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 08:07:25 pm »
+2
It should stay sheathable, but should be 3 slots just like the long maul. It would balance the two weapons quite nicely.

Great maul is faster, does more damage and weighs more (higher chance of crushthrough)

Long maul is longer.

As someone who uses a long maul a lot, it's frustrating for me that a 2 hander can use an incredibly effective support weapon along with an incredibly effective dueling weapon. There's really no drawback.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 08:29:05 pm »
Ok ok so people saying great maul users who can switch to katana are op..

Ill play ball with you guise. even tho Great Maul had STR requirements raised from 18 to 20 and Speed reduced from 80 to 68.

Make it 3 slots but revert the rest??
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 08:39:32 pm »
Great mauls are awful in 1v1 but very frightening in groups.  I don't think they are OP, but they certainly are tricky to deal with.

I do agree that something should be done with them to stop the potential for "pocket mauls", primarily because they force such a different defense tactic.  Generally when I fight someone I focus on feints/positioning and the usual back and forth, but once someone comes at me with a maul I immediately have to adjust to a spamming/footwork intensive situation.  Being able to switch back and forth between "roles" is very powerful.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59:04 pm »
Ok ok so people saying great maul users who can switch to katana are op..
Ill play ball with you guise. even tho Great Maul had STR requirements raised from 18 to 20 and Speed reduced from 80 to 68.
Make it 3 slots but revert the rest??

Great Maul
weight: 8
difficulty: 20
speed rating: 80
weapon length: 68
thrust damage: 0 pierce
swing damage: 43 blunt
slots: 2
Can't use on horseback
Crushthrough
Unbalanced
Knockdown

What did you talk about?

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 10:53:31 pm »
It's not THAT easy-mode UNLESS you have your uber 1v1 fighting weapon with you that you can use at will. It was kind of ridiculous when I went in with my 1h+shield, switched to my maul to kill a shielder battling someone, then just switched back.

This won't affect dedicated users that enjoy the weapon. You can still find good weapons on the ground from defeated foes, too. I believe that you should just drop the maul.

I will be (ab)using this tactic on my 1 wpf 2h character so people will understand, not just whine and do nothing.
So you made this thread because of what you experienced once, rather than what you've tested for several hours/days? You found an "advantage" (Using a great maul against baddies that don't realize they could just spam you) but didn't take a look at any disadvantages. You're a good 1her but using a great maul with 1 wpf is just asking to get spammed down. 80 speed 1 wpf is brutal, it's hard enough to not get spammed even at 100 effective wpf.

I use a 2h/1h hybrid build except 131 2h wpf and 89 1h wpf in heavy armor(26 weight in total). Nearly every 1her, regardless of their build, is going to be fast enough to spam through any of your swings, even if you turn into your swings. Which is interesting because most people seem to think the great maul is an anti-shielder weapon. I'd rather fight a great maul guy with a short fast weapon, than a long slow weapon; of course, that's the offensive method to doing it. Alternatively, you could go the defensive, high athletics, long range weapon route and just back-pedal spam.

When I spawn with my great maul + niuweidao, I don't use the maul against "skilled" 1hers or fast 2h/pole guys (Unless I'm being stubborn, in which case I get penalized for it quite a bit). My point is, the only thing a great maul, by itself(not paired with say, a long spearman) is good for, is sieges(only at certain key points) and quickly getting rid of unskilled players. Maybe with a level 34 21/21 build you'd be fast enough to neutralize your disadvantages by taking a second (and significantly longer range) weapon, but is this really a situation that should be considered?
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character