Author Topic: Finding a niche for longbow  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Zerobot1

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Zerobot1
  • IRC nick: Zerobot1
Re: Finding a niche for longbow
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 06:45:33 pm »
You are right, longbow needs something extra to make it more viable.

It is useful though, I take longbow and tatars mainly to bring down horses.

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »
What the longbow needs is just a little speed buff like 2 or 3 points.
It is pretty slow compared to the other bows... no balance.

The speedbuff also would remove the shot delay of the longbow.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 03:11:11 am »
What the longbow needs is just a little speed buff like 2 or 3 points.
It is pretty slow compared to the other bows... no balance.

The speedbuff also would remove the shot delay of the longbow.

No. The draw speed should remain the same. What I am talking about is increasing the missile speed to 45. That will make the arrow fly in a straighter flight path and take less time to arrive at its target, thus giving it an accuracy increase at distance without buffing accuracy at shorter ranges.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 11:04:12 am »
As said in the othe thread, in my opinion the longbow's accuracy is fine, as long as you shoot immediately.
Aiming for a second and your reticule is bigger than your target.
With a speedbuff that might chance because you would have drawn faster, thus the time until the reticule grows would be bigger.

I didn't recognise any difference with my longbow now and it was always accurate enough.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 01:11:00 pm »
Hence my suggestion of lengthening the time you can hold your arrow with a longbow. No speed increase, in fact it lets you spam your arrows less with it, which, imho, is the way longbow should be. If you want to spam arrows - go hornbow.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 01:19:36 pm »
Hence my suggestion of lengthening the time you can hold your arrow with a longbow. No speed increase, in fact it lets you spam your arrows less with it, which, imho, is the way longbow should be. If you want to spam arrows - go hornbow.

If you can raise the time you have for aiming I'm pleased. But I don't how this could be done. Not with +1 accuracy, that's clear^^

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »
A thing called WSE, i imagine. cmp told us that EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE :shock:

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »
A thing called WSE, i imagine. cmp told us that EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE :shock:

You believe it?^^

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 04:20:22 pm »
Longbow should have a much higher projectile speed than the other bows imho.

It would make it worth the slower draw time since it would be easier to hit the target your aiming for once you release the arrow.

And it could actually hit targets further away. (Kinda like how they were IRL)
Stop showing your ignorance please. First, longbows shoot arrows at the same speed than other comparable bows like asian composites. Also, the draw requirements for composites are higher, and last, longbows havent any advantage when you talk about range. Actually the bows with the most range werent english but turkish... and composite!. Amazing huh?. To bad you brain is taken but that anglo saxon shitty propaganda. I bet you also say "P51s won the WW2" dont you?. Salute.
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:48 pm »
Stop showing your ignorance please. First, longbows shoot arrows at the same speed than other comparable bows like asian composites. Also, the draw requirements for composites are higher, and last, longbows havent any advantage when you talk about range. Actually the bows with the most range werent english but turkish... and composite!. Amazing huh?. To bad you brain is taken but that anglo saxon shitty propaganda. I bet you also say "P51s won the WW2" dont you?. Salute.

The longbow had between 110 and 120 pounds of draw force. You don't really get that in any other bow, even modern ones.

Hence why it took many years of training for a person to be able to use such a bow, and how they can tell ancient skeletons were longbowmen.

History aside, the more power the shot has the faster it will go, its physics. It will also hit with more power but a portion of the force will be translated into an increase of speed. Even most modern compound bows can't fire with that much power, in fact its special order to get a bow made with a poundage that is comparable to a long bow.

There were other bows in history that were comparable, but they were generally smaller profile like re-curve bows which are significantly more powerful if taking into a size/power ratio.

What was the draw weight of these other bows you speak of?

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 06:59:45 pm »
Realism board is that way.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 08:46:05 pm »
The longbow had between 110 and 120 pounds of draw force. You don't really get that in any other bow, even modern ones.

Hence why it took many years of training for a person to be able to use such a bow, and how they can tell ancient skeletons were longbowmen.

History aside, the more power the shot has the faster it will go, its physics. It will also hit with more power but a portion of the force will be translated into an increase of speed. Even most modern compound bows can't fire with that much power, in fact its special order to get a bow made with a poundage that is comparable to a long bow.

There were other bows in history that were comparable, but they were generally smaller profile like re-curve bows which are significantly more powerful if taking into a size/power ratio.

What was the draw weight of these other bows you speak of?
In the moment you relate "pull force" and "proyectile speed" you show how little you know about the subject. You should research a bit and come. Needing 120lbs of force to pull a string in a bow doesnt mean it will shoot any further than a bow that may need 95lb for the same result. Its called enginering, and its why romans had those nice engines that lead them to build those nice buildings with little effort compared to what it could be if they did manually.

A person who can pull 120lbs in a longbow (still have to see some, also take in acount that the poundage you heard about the longbow is kinda an asumption, no one really knows. Also take in acount that europeans were much smaller 600 years ago and that bows where made for individuals for the most) may pull 95lbs from a mongol bow, yet the tests show that a mongol bow will pierce 3cm more with the same "neddle" arrow with the same "longbow expert" pulling both strings. I talk about flat shooting from 5 metters. That leads me to think that the mongol bow actually has faster proyectile speed if any. And no, the bows you are talking about arent the "re-curved" ones but "reflex" ones which happens also to be "re-curved" bows.. Also the bow i was talking about was the turkish composite reflex bow. Those are the bows with world's record range and were made in all flavours, from 70lbs to even 150lbs (again, same that with the english longbow, only monsters can pull that). So lets say the average pull force for a longbow is about 90lbs, same for the others. And, the distance record for that turkish bow is over 800 metters and the battle range was between 400-600 yards.....
Too fun you say you dont get that pull force with any other bow when turkish were doing more powerfull bows with x10 the enginering at the exact same period of time lol... you see what i mean with propaganda?....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:05:20 pm by Trikipum »
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 09:03:55 pm »
Realism board is that way.
Ok man, dont get mad. Ill try to give some ideas about bows to make them a new "metagame".
-Bows arent more or less acurate. What dictates the acuracy in old bows is the arrow and the shooter. There isnt a "more acurate" bow. So, the acuracy should be moved to the arrows.
-Using the WSE, they should make tables for each kind of arrow and distance. Yes, that is each arrow should have its own table with values for penetration of diferent materials at diferent distances.
-Another step would be taging all the armor items in game. We need to make sure each arrow type isnt just more powerfull but more suitable for each target. A bodkin arrow has to make less damage than a tatar for a naked target, that is how it works in real life and i put it as example. The arrow that makes a mess in a naked human body wont make that same effect in chain mail. Also the bodkin arrow that hits and pierces a plate armor wont be as bad with a naked target.
-Total damage shouldnt be dependant on power draw but with caps for each kind of bow. I mean, you can be the hulk, but you wont draw more than X amount of force for a certain bow coz its physically imposible. Yes a guy pulling 120lbs wont pull more than 90-95 with a hornbow.
In few words, damage shouldnt be dictated by power draw, but by the bow, kind of arrow used and kind of target. I think its doable and would make archery amazing. Choosing your target, then choosing the kind of arrow for that target and then shooting is how it should work, not just blind pew pew. I think this all is doable using the WSE and would end with all the rage about archery nerfs and shit.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:30 am »
I was thinking given the latest patch (I know they are working to remedy the poopants that has occured) perhaps the thing to do with the Long bow is knock 2 more points of speed off and buff its dmg to 38. Make it more of a pure archers weapon.

Give those 21/21 fundies something worth playing with.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 08:50:55 am »
The Rus Bow is recurved much more strongly, it seems odd that it does less damage with the same draw weight. One solution is to increase Longbow difficulty and raise the projectile speed and damage stats to suit a bow with 7 or 8 difficulty.

I think the damage distribution has to be repaired before longbow can contest 1 slot bows though. A headshot from a longbow at the moment will kill with ease and all the extra damage is wasted. Obviously there is much less wastage with 1 slot bows and they will have an easier time getting headshots to begin with.