Author Topic: Helm's Deep suggestion thread  (Read 2459 times)

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
Helm's Deep suggestion thread
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:03:34 am »
Before I start seriously revising this map, I'd like some feedback and suggestions on how to fix it.  Right now it seems the flag is too far away, defenders rarely spawn on the Deeping Wall, and its rather difficult to attack.  Also, some of the doors break strangely.  Any feedback will be appreciated.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Glaurung

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Glaurung, Fallen_Gnome, Fallen_Bernard_le_renard
Re: Helm's Deep suggestion thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 03:40:03 am »
The main difficulty of this castle as an attacker, is that it takes you about 45 sec to just reach the walls. Then you have to somewhat fight your way into the bastion, while the defenders team spawn right inside it.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:22:47 am »
The reason why defenders don't spawn on the deeping walls is probably because of how the siege scripts handles spawn points. The entry points on the deeping wall are all closer to attacker base (32) than defender base (0), so they will only rarely be used for defender spawning.

Otherwise I don't have many suggestions. Maybe add a second way into the inner castle, via siege ladder or something.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:08:25 pm »
You need to do 1 thing from these 2 or make both.

Either put the switch to open gate near the gate on the outer side not near flag or/and finish the passage of the wall before reaching the flag.

On the wall there's a path that leads to the mountains but it has invisible walls and is unfinished, say finishing the passage and make some stairs to reach it attackers would have a chance to reach the flag from the wall and from the entrance.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 09:41:20 pm »
There is no passage in the mountains...its blocked off because its not supposed to be part of the playable area :)  If I didn't put barriers you could run up most of the cliffs, especially with a horse.  And on this new version I removed the porcullis, so try it for a few rounds now and see if its too easy/hard.
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:53:11 pm »
Try it where? The EU servers 5 and 6 have no custom maps at all, and admin of 4 doesn't seem to update the server anymore...
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 11:21:55 pm »
There is no passage in the mountains...its blocked off because its not supposed to be part of the playable area :)  If I didn't put barriers you could run up most of the cliffs, especially with a horse.  And on this new version I removed the porcullis, so try it for a few rounds now and see if its too easy/hard.

No you got it wrong.

The wall before the flag room has a small tower which is blocked by the mountain (Not to go on top of the mountain) if the passage would be made walkable and a ladder or some stairs that reach this wall would be added it would make it more balanced for the attackers to be able to get to the flag.

A ladder or some stairs would be from ground floor to the wall not to the mountain so attackers could try go to the flag from the walls too not only from the entrance which is usually camped by defenders.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:25:06 pm »
closer spawn...
and fix issue with ladder, when the first wall is breached, u cant deploy ladders, they just get stucked atm..

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 02:17:00 am »
No you got it wrong.

The wall before the flag room has a small tower which is blocked by the mountain (Not to go on top of the mountain) if the passage would be made walkable and a ladder or some stairs that reach this wall would be added it would make it more balanced for the attackers to be able to get to the flag.

A ladder or some stairs would be from ground floor to the wall not to the mountain so attackers could try go to the flag from the walls too not only from the entrance which is usually camped by defenders.
Oh my mistake I thought you were referring to the opposite side (the right side if you are looking at it from attacker's perspective).  I'll keep that in mind as a possible future change.

Offline Azathoth

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Azathoth
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
mb just remove all doors? so attackers will have more time to take flag

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 08:40:01 pm »
Give the attackers more ladders on the walls.

That one dinky ass ladder gets the attackers killed, and frankly, no one uses it.

Having 3 or 4 gives the attackers a more viable option up those ladders (as it spreads the defenders up) and gives a better representation of the siege of Helms Deep.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 09:56:04 pm »
I have played this map now in high and low population and have several observations.

1. The breakable door that used to be a portcullis near the flag takes way too long to break and is not a viable option for attackers. I am not sure what you can do about this, removing the door might make it too easy. Until this issue is resolved the defenders really only need to worry about one choke-point.

2. Removing the main door in front of the flag, and the flag itself was a great idea!

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 05:42:41 am »
I have played this map now in high and low population and have several observations.

1. The breakable door that used to be a portcullis near the flag takes way too long to break and is not a viable option for attackers. I am not sure what you can do about this, removing the door might make it too easy. Until this issue is resolved the defenders really only need to worry about one choke-point.

2. Removing the main door in front of the flag, and the flag itself was a great idea!
I tried hacking down the new door on a local server and it came down fairly quickly for 1 guy...get 3 or 4 and I'd imagine it will come down quite fast.  I haven't gotten to play on the updated version yet; do defenders spawn on the deeping wall now?  I was hoping to make it harder to take the outer walls, but easier to breach the keep and get to the flag.  Let me know as you guys get more experience playing on it how the balance is.

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 12:51:37 am »
The main difficulty of this castle as an attacker, is that it takes you about 45 sec to just reach the walls. Then you have to somewhat fight your way into the bastion, while the defenders team spawn right inside it.

Are you kidding about the spawn I spawn 1/2 the time on the walls surrounded by enemies lol play it more.  Worst is when you spawn by the door where the gate used to be and you can't even open it