Author Topic: Arrows/Bolts Upkeep  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Farrok

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Farrok
Arrows/Bolts Upkeep
« on: October 22, 2011, 03:58:42 pm »
Because of the Economic Crisis thread i came to an idea...i think its better for realism discussion...

every archer know that arrows are need to getting repaired almost every round(maybe because the archery wpf don`t reduce the chance like by the other weapons???)

most archers know that they need to pay upkeep even if they don`t shoot an arrow.

so why not put away the normal upkeep away from arrows and bolts(possible even throwing weapons as they are the same: projectiles)

and put some unique system in it:

every projectile which is used by shooting put a counter on a intern ammo type variable...after the round the variables will be calculated to one upkeep sum.

for example:

an archer have 30 bodkinarrows(2 quivers), normally you would pay upkeep of around 1000 gold most of the rounds.

make instead that each bodkin arrows shot set bodkin ammo variable +8

the archer shoot 22 bodkins in a round...so 22*9 = 176...that every round with some variance because of amount of arrows shoot...even the ones you grap from floor...

upkeep for example
arrow: upkeep 2
barbed: upkeep 4
khergit: upkeep 5
bodkin: upkeep 8

bolts: upkeep 2
steel bolts: upkeep 12

and thowing :D don`t know

we wouldn`t have the need of repair every round but on the other hand a upkeep equivalent to the arrows shoot...
so the arrow spamming would be less because archery/xbow/throwing would tend to choose their targets more.

though the amount of upkeep needs to balance after that several times i think :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Arrows/Bolts Upkeep
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »
interesting idea, I do like. dunno how feasible it is resource-wise for servers though

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:12:55 am »
Interesting idea but not sure if it's really needed...

You could say the same thing about every other item too (I never used my sword, why did I have to repair it, my horse got repaired wtf, etc)

I think the only arrows you would need to be worried about upkeep is Bodkins and Tatars... Which is how it should be shouldn't it?

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:47:15 pm »
Your idea would mean that archers who die in the first minute due to backstab cav wouldn't pay any upkeep, because they didn't shoot any arrow, but would still get full money for the round.

And btw, you pay 708 gold if both bodkin quibers break, not 1000 ^.^

But I would like to have a slight upkeep change for arrows, because even without armour you hardly get more gold when you use bodkins + longbow, wheereas you can get money when you run around with an expensive sword and light armour :-/

With my 2h char I can take my lovely heavy bastard sword + nordic warlord helmet + heavy kuyak + mail gauntles + splinted leather greaves over mail. All is actually pretty good medium armour + a good sword and I pay about 20k less upkeep than with longbow, hammer, bodkins and light armour -.-
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:19:08 pm by Gisbert_of_Thuringia »

Offline Plaksteris

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • I Potato love.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Latvian Potato Empire
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:07:45 pm »
NO! LETS NERF ARCHERY MORE
I Potato Wanna Be.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:01:56 pm »
+1
The first way I thought about how to implement this was to say ("Total Price" / "Total Arrows") * ("Total Arrows" - "Arrows left in quiver") but I don't know what people think about if you picked up arrows at the end of the round. So if you found a full quiver of arrows then you would have to pay less. But then again you shouldn't have to pay for the arrows that you loose after you've picked them up because you were scavenging not buying...

It's a tricky one to implement I think but I also agree with whoever said "it'll probably take a lot of processing power and lag the servers more".
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are