Author Topic: Strategus for dummies  (Read 84400 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Re: Strategus for dummies
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »
WRONG, begging for money dont override the towns /fiefs visiting fee. I made my son test this over night and he kept loosing gold when begging for gold. had 100 now 70 ish gold
It says "up to 35 gold".

I assume that if you have more than 35 gold, begging does nothing, including not overriding the fee.  Which makes sense.  If you have money, you must pay the fee.  If you are flat cold broke, then you can beg to dodge the fee, until you hit 35 gold.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Varyag

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Merc_Varyag_
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 06:23:07 pm »
I still believe there should be some alternative to trading. There should be some work in towns. it may bring way less gold then trading, but it should be there. Otherwise currently it feels like the entire strategus population consist of traders and crafters only. What about sphere of services, that currently accounts for 70% of GDP in "developed" countries?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:24:35 pm by Varyag »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline caki

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Diplomat of The Turks'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Turks
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_caki, Kapikulu_caki_pokemon, Kapikulu_caki_cavcav, Kebapci_Abuzittin_Usta
  • IRC nick: cakican
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 03:44:19 am »

Could items be put on a market in villages and such?
I am coding a towncenter as we speak. It will be only available in towns. You can put goods and/or equipment up for sale. People can buy from the stack, either some or all items. The money will be saved in the towns bank and can be recovered when you re-visit the town.

One suggestion:
It would be nice if goods put on market/cities can be seen on action menu/character page. Thus one doesn't have to travel to city to see if goods are sold.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 04:13:49 am »
One suggestion:
It would be nice if goods put on market/cities can be seen on action menu/character page. Thus one doesn't have to travel to city to see if goods are sold.
No. You should not be able to know what is on sale where unless you are there yourself or got a Homing Pidgeon from a friend (someone who is there told you).

And as randomers keep staying at one place and selling stuff, it would after a while be known that "that and that place usually have a lot of those items".
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Dede

• Count
  • Renown: 161
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 12:14:40 pm »
What does the "Drop all your trading goods" at Tranfer Menu?

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:39 pm »
Complete guess. You drop all your trade goods for no money?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 01:27:15 pm »

I'm guessing the idea is having to many goods slows you down. If you start being chased but don't want to get into a fight, you can drop your goods and run.

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
I have a question about balancing strat chadz.
Closest city to my village is Ahmerad 5 Km . I don't know for the moment how much i will sell my slate but let's say it's 100%
Why would go to a city far from 139 km wich is 28 further than ahmerad , if i only gain 4.5 more gold. Isn't it time loss?

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 05:27:01 pm »

Could items be put on a market in villages and such?
I am coding a towncenter as we speak. It will be only available in towns. You can put goods and/or equipment up for sale. People can buy from the stack, either some or all items. The money will be saved in the towns bank and can be recovered when you re-visit the town.

Don't make the market like eve so we risk the 0.01 isk trade wars. It is better people choose themselves somehow from who they want to buy.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 06:26:09 pm »
I never played eve. Elaborate.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 06:36:01 pm »
I never played eve. Elaborate.

In Eve the market works so that you can only buy the cheapest of the item available.
This results in a combination of bots and other people constantly lowering the value of items by only 0.01 isk. When talking a game where billions are regular, the effect is that you have to stay in the market and constantly make sure you are on top.

Edit: This is only going to be a problem if there are multitudes of offers within the same item. Needing to constantly watch your market while at the same time caravaning is hell.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:37:47 pm by Aemaelius »
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 10:19:06 pm »
Faraway goods bonus:
round(pow($distance_percent*100, 1.28));
max distance = 139 km

Is 139km the width of the map? Or the distance from one corner to the opposing corner? Also, since you're telling us that this formula caps out at 450%, I'm assuming there's a way to go over 100%. Is the bonus calculated on the actual distance travelled around cliffs and obstacles rather than the exact distance from the town of crafting and the town of selling?

Edit: After playing around with the numbers, I came to realize that the faraway goods bonus for 100% distance percent is 363%. So it would make sense if 139km is the width of the map and 450% is the cap for the faraway goods bonus rather than the distance percent. That would require slightly over 163km distance between fiefs which can be reached by some diagnol travel from different extremes of the map.

Another Edit: chadz already answered as I was editting
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:35:19 pm by Dehitay »

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 10:21:48 pm »
I'm guessing the idea is having to many goods slows you down. If you start being chased but don't want to get into a fight, you can drop your goods and run.
more effective to give it to the enemy 8-)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 10:30:40 pm »
Is 139km the width of the map? Or the distance from one corner to the opposing corner? Also, since you're telling us that this formula caps out at 450%, I'm assuming there's a way to go over 100%. Is the bonus calculated on the actual distance travelled around cliffs and obstacles rather than the exact distance from the town of crafting and the town of selling?

139 km is the largest possible distance (= the two locations with the largest distance)

when you insert 100%, it's (1*100)^1.28=363.07 - this is the possible bonus. So you can sell a good for 463% of the default price (default price = 100%)

Offline LLJK_Siggy

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Fighting for Democracy across all of Calradia
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_SIGGY_AMERICA
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 02:02:55 am »
Hey chadz, can you give us any clues as to how fief prosperity changes? Is it a daily + or - a certain amount at random? Is it completely random on a daily basis? If it's already going one way does it trend that way? Is it dependent on how many people are in a fief?

Sorry if you have already answered these questions elsewhere, but I haven't come across anything about it from you. Just what we have speculated.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login