Poll

Potential for the shield to passively block a couched lance during a joust

Yes
31 (50.8%)
No
30 (49.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Passive shield block of couched lances  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Passive shield block of couched lances
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:11 pm »
+2
Speaking about couched lance being "OP" and realism, what about the fact that 60% of players can jump-teleport 3 meters to the side, dodging any couched lance. I know particle tunneling is a very important part of quantum physics, but it shouldn't apply on entire humans. Couched lance is much much much more than pressing x and charging someone. Try that, and you'll either die or miss.

Footmen are extremely agile and impredictible from a horseman perspective. Couched lance is a bit like trying to hit a powerboat with a supertanker.

Couched lance with or without shield against a ranged is a oneshot vs oneshot situation. The ranged hits the horse or the rider, the rider dies. In the opposite case, the ranged dies if the couched lance didn't mysteriously go through (that can happen to throwing projectiles too, or when it doesn't go straight).

I think nearly all couched lance kills are ninja-cav kills. As turning ninja is the only way a cav can more or less safely approach a ranged unit and couched lance is the safest way to kill that ranged (lance pokes don't always onehit men wearing tunics), no wonder it looks OP. It seems "OP" means "able to kill me" for some people.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 11:05:51 am »
Speaking about couched lance being "OP" and realism, what about the fact that 60% of players can jump-teleport 3 meters to the side, dodging any couched lance. I know particle tunneling is a very important part of quantum physics, but it shouldn't apply on entire humans. Couched lance is much much much more than pressing x and charging someone. Try that, and you'll either die or miss.

Footmen are extremely agile and impredictible from a horseman perspective. Couched lance is a bit like trying to hit a powerboat with a supertanker.

Couched lance with or without shield against a ranged is a oneshot vs oneshot situation. The ranged hits the horse or the rider, the rider dies. In the opposite case, the ranged dies if the couched lance didn't mysteriously go through (that can happen to throwing projectiles too, or when it doesn't go straight).

I think nearly all couched lance kills are ninja-cav kills. As turning ninja is the only way a cav can more or less safely approach a ranged unit and couched lance is the safest way to kill that ranged (lance pokes don't always onehit men wearing tunics), no wonder it looks OP. It seems "OP" means "able to kill me" for some people.

THIS
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 07:36:12 pm »
the shield does in fact block shots a little to your right side but ineffective against melee or straight ahead of you, makes sense that a well timed arrow can interrupt the couch for balance.

also couching is seriously easy mode, best way to defeat aware 2 handers with great sword, and if you get the gank on people and they react too slowly, couching is always a far superior choice, as its basically an instant kill

Notice how most rounds start with a couch kill in the first 15 seconds when good cavalry players are on?  Because its SO effective, especially in the start when everyone has full HP
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 09:26:26 pm »
It's a stupid suggestion. But to all those saying couching is OP and they can't avoid it. It's piss easy to avoid, I can do it with every one of my chars. Including the 0 ath ones. Chances are, if it gets you, it's because you saw it to late. If you see it early enough, even with 0 ath, all you have to do is run to the side. Worst comes to worse, jump to the side.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:28:19 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 10:57:41 am »
actually worst comes to worst, if the enemy is on a slow horse, just run away. In decent armor you can survive a couch to the back due to low speed bonus.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Plaksteris

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • I Potato love.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Latvian Potato Empire
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 06:38:56 pm »
I say YES to this suggestion, because I dont think that in real life some archer who is getting couched will stand there like idiot and try to shot into face in cav from front, and 95% Archers have so light armor and theyr so fast that they can just jump-fucking teleport 3m away (as said above). AND As I was Meele for 4 months I know that it is SUPER DUPER VERY EASY TO AVOID COUCH (As 2h for 2months I never was couched, NEVER), only stupid douchebag archers cant avoid it! And thats pain in the ass that they are shooting at you.
I Potato Wanna Be.