Poll

Potential for the shield to passively block a couched lance during a joust

Yes
31 (50.8%)
No
30 (49.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Passive shield block of couched lances  (Read 2378 times)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Passive shield block of couched lances
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:42:10 am »
Traditionally when couching a lance a knight would pull his shield in tight almost to the point of holding it as the chars do when using it to block.

It would add another element to a joust, could make for some interesting horse on horse on man action.

It may potentially be op however because it could also make it much harder for ranged to disrupt a couch at the last second and it would make leap slashes much more difficult as well.

Would also require a rework of the animation.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Passive shield block of couched lances
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 01:04:37 pm »
Traditionally when couching a lance a knight would pull his shield in tight almost to the point of holding it as the chars do when using it to block.

It would add another element to a joust, could make for some interesting horse on horse on man action.

It may potentially be op however because it could also make it much harder for ranged to disrupt a couch at the last second and it would make leap slashes much more difficult as well.

Would also require a rework of the animation.

Yeah...no. No sense in giving a boost to one of the most ridiculous things in this game. To be good at couching in this game you need to be able to point your horse at someone and press the "x" button. Now you want to add autoblock to that? No thanks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 01:09:06 pm »
+1
So you want to give one of the most overpowered things here an even higher chance to succeed by giving them passive shieldblock? o.O

LOL

For archers like me with 2 athletics the only chance to avoid a couched lance is to shoot that guy. And that doesn't even always work if the rider is skilled ;)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:17:09 pm »
1 shot with autoblock... makes sense

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 04:53:22 pm »
+1
By the same argument infantry were able to hold their shields up and swing their weapons.

If you get passive auto block I want shielders to have it too!

DEATH to 2h and range!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:34:34 pm »
Weelll, the animation is still there but bolts and arrows still pass through the shield. Why not? Not that there are that many lancers that couch. Most people stab.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »
That's cause couching head on is actually hard. Overpowered my ass, I'd love to see even one of you noobs manage to couch a 2hander head on. I do it regularly cause I'm awesome like that. But it's a 50/50 gamble. At least cav have to get within range of melee weapons to use their "overpowere" attack, unlike some roof camping bundle of stickss I could mention.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 07:01:26 pm »
Weelll, the animation is still there but bolts and arrows still pass through the shield. Why not? Not that there are that many lancers that couch. Most people stab.

Actually there are alot of guys couching as often as possible, because it gives alot more damage than thrusting.

Even our top cavguys do that :/

I'm no bundle of sticks :)  Cause I almost never walk around on roofs^^

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:31:47 pm »

Actually there are alot of guys couching as often as possible, because it gives alot more damage than thrusting.

Even our top cavguys do that :/

I'm no bundle of sticks :)  Cause I almost never walk around on roofs^^
I know, I'm one of them. I'm using the Great Lance so nothing but couching for me. But the heavy lance stab is still much better than the heavy lance couch (and a lot of time better than the great lance couch, fucking imba!).

But it really is annoying that the animation for couching with a shield shows your guy holding up the shield, while arrows still hits you.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 08:28:31 pm »
They really go through the shield?

Because usually when someone is walking around with a shield and you shoot him from the side, there is a big chance to hit the shield, although he is not actively blocking. That's not happening while couching? o.O
Weird^^

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:47:36 pm »
They really go through the shield?

Because usually when someone is walking around with a shield and you shoot him from the side, there is a big chance to hit the shield, although he is not actively blocking. That's not happening while couching? o.O
Weird^^
Yep. Tested it on duel (eu_3 for the record) and the shield didn't stop it. First tried with crossbow (was easier to time it because it can hold the shots) but they all went through. First I believed it to be the piercethrough because of the speedbonus, but when we tried with an archer and it still didn't stop them I got suspicious. Turned off all other sounds and tested crossbow again and I didn't hear the piercethrough sound so...

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 11:21:41 pm »
lol couching is not overpowered. you can easily get more kills from charge dmg than you can from couching

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 06:10:34 am »
Yeah...no. No sense in giving a boost to one of the most ridiculous things in this game. To be good at couching in this game you need to be able to point your horse at someone and press the "x" button. Now you want to add autoblock to that? No thanks.

Wrong board; this is the "realism" board please keep your comments on topic, thanks.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 10:39:21 am »
the shield is already in a position that covers you against arrows from 9-12 o´clock.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline MaHuD

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: MaHuD, Darth_InVader, Hired_Blade, Hinzerhaus
  • IRC nick: MaHuD
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:35:33 pm »
+1
Yep. Tested it on duel (eu_3 for the record) and the shield didn't stop it. First tried with crossbow (was easier to time it because it can hold the shots) but they all went through. First I believed it to be the piercethrough because of the speedbonus, but when we tried with an archer and it still didn't stop them I got suspicious. Turned off all other sounds and tested crossbow again and I didn't hear the piercethrough sound so...
My arrows usually get blocked if I hit the shield instead of his body or foot.
But the shield should get a better position while couching I think.
It's pretty easy to shoot a coucher which is bs. You need Pikers/spearmen to counter cavalry not Archers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:36:34 pm by MaHuD »