Author Topic: Explanation of Melee Game Mechanics (Long Post)  (Read 16335 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Explanation of Melee Game Mechanics (Long Post)
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2011, 12:56:37 am »
tl;dr michael needs to l2p
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2011, 12:57:07 am »
And even without a shield you say you have to block the 2h 2 or 3 times. This shouldnt be the case, because a 1h shouldnt have so much less athletics than a 2h.
But with a shield, you are even slower.
The damage of 2h/ polearms in crpg is so high, they destroy good shields in 1 or 2 hits.
That means the 1hshielder can start to attack when his shield is already broken.
And then, he has to hit the 2h in his heavy armor 4 times or even more to kill him.
While the 2h/polearm spammer cant block shit, he just backpedals, takes his damage, doesnt care, and then 1 shots the 1h.
Rofl
On it.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2011, 03:14:58 am »
Michael Hi,

The way I explained how melee works holds for every melee class, 1 hander with shield and without, 2hander and polearm.  I meant this post to be especially useful to new players.  This game has a very steep learning curve, by having knowledge of how melee works in this game and combining it with practice new players should become competitive with the old hands much faster then if they figured this stuff out on their own.

I agree with some of the things you said and disagree with others.  I think each class has its pluses and minuses I have played every possible class in this game for at least 2 or more generations, so I have an overall good sense of how the game works.  My favorite classes are definitely polearm and 1 hander plus shield.  While admittedly it took a bit longer for me to figure out 1 hander plus shield then it did polearm it is quickly becoming my favourite class and I often get a K:D of 3 or 4 kills per 1 death.

Does your computer and internet connection matter?  Yes it very much does and I did mention that in my first post. 

Finally, I am not sure why you sound so angry, but lashing out at random people on the internet who are trying to help you have more fun playing a game in my mind is not the way to go.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:16:00 am by Formless »
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »
very well written and thought advices here. Thanks.

Some random thoughts of myself.

Spammer per definition when it should be an insult, is a person who can't block and just spams attacks.

Spamming itself in contrast
is a viable tactic if you strike and see blood of your opponent you have the opportunity to strike again, as often you don't miss, see his blood and don't here the sound of glancing weapon or a block, you can continue with spam. Attacking without blocking. Nevertheless it is still dangerous , one mistake in a controlled spam makes you an easy target to the enemies counter attack.

Spamming for 1h/shield is surly different to the 2h/polearm spam, as 1h/shield you have less range, the opponent can get out of your way by better footwork. The One Hand spam has to be more presice in targeting. If you are lucky you can get 2 or more strikes that way. If you come against a good blocker you have to feint at least after the second strike again otherwise your spam is over in most cases and you have to follow the attack/block paradigm again.

I'd like to know more about glancing, Bruce mentioned he could provoke a glancing attack from a 1h/shielder. What tactics do resolve in the opponents weapon to glance?
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2011, 06:23:19 pm »
This is a very informative post, thank you for taking the time to write it Formless.
I suggest everyone ignore Michael's post, every class takes it's own bit of skills and finesse there isn't really an easy mode but there is a hard mode (playing on EU servers as NA or vice versa :P)

Offline Formless

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2011, 09:03:46 pm »
This is a very informative post, thank you for taking the time to write it Formless.
I suggest everyone ignore Michael's post, every class takes it's own bit of skills and finesse there isn't really an easy mode but there is a hard mode (playing on EU servers as NA or vice versa :P)

Thank you Memento_Mori for bringing this thread back from the dead.  I did spend a some time writing it, I wanted it to serve as a primer on how good players thinks about combat.  There is a allot of good content written in this thread spread over the five or so pages.  I was hopping it would be made into a sticky, but alas it was not meant to be.  Anyway, its good to see it comeback, thanks again Memento_Mori.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2011, 10:28:12 pm »
I just wanted to say that I'm a new player, and this has helped me.  I've still got a long way to go, but my melee abilities have noticeably improved!

Offline Formless

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2011, 04:31:11 am »
I just wanted to say that I'm a new player, and this has helped me.  I've still got a long way to go, but my melee abilities have noticeably improved!

Woot, Success :)

Glad to hear it, let me know if you have any questions, I am glad to help out.

Offline Gimest

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 40
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Gimest_DeGyrst
  • IRC nick: Gimest
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2011, 01:32:05 pm »
Yeh this is very good thread for everyone who doesnt know how the battle mechanics work. I have played m&b for 7 years, started warband like week ago and this thread just blew my mind :D

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2012, 12:40:30 am »
Same here, vs very fast weapons i can (sometimes) block but then i cannot respond in time before he slashes again. I don't know if i have to click faster, if it's my ping, both or if it just doesn't always work, because my character has low agi, so a high agi character with a fast weapon could just outspam me even if i block. The thing i will do then is moving around, jumping, trying to dodge.. which doesn't work vs skilled players.
You dont block and then attack, you block/attack int he same movement. Dont wait to see if you blocked for your counter attack, do it as a combo. In fact, if you failed your block you gonna be hit anyway, so try to do the block/counterattack as a single movement.
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"