Author Topic: Submit New Map Ideas Here  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
Submit New Map Ideas Here
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:03:01 am »
Welcome to the (un)Official New Map Discussion Thread!

If you want to discuss maps that are already on the servers please refer to this thread:

Maps in Development.

If you have ideas for new maps that you'd like to see developed, this is the place to post.  Before doing so, however, please take a moment to help us all out and read the following:

(click to show/hide)

Ultimately, we'd just like to provide an opportunity to hear ideas and opinions about what could be fun.  Please be descriptive, and post when you've taken a moment to really think about it rather than impulsively throw something up.  Making a map well takes hours of work, and we'd like to spend that time on something people will really enjoy.  What type of map would you spend several hours building if you had the time, know-how, and inclination to do so?

Thanks for your help!

-Legal

NOTE:  This conversation was transfered from the TaleWorlds forums.   Please resubmit ideas here if you wish to continue discussing them on this thread.  Thanks for your patience!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:35:56 am by Kong Ming »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Submit New Map Ideas Here
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:18:50 am »
Poll results from the TaleWorlds thread.  If you have ideas for other polls that would be relevant to this discussion please PM them to me.

I prefer maps that occur....

1. In a Town or Castle.  Many buildings, alleyways, stairways, rooftops, etc.28 (27.7%)
2. In Arenas.  Townlike, but more open, fewer rooftops and buildings.9 (8.9%)
3. In Villages.  A small village with a few buildings and roads surrounded by open terrain.9 (8.9%)
4. In Ruins.  Mostly open with scattered, sparse architecture for cover.23 (22.8%)
5. On Bridges.  Pretty much open terrain, with traffic channeled onto one or more bridges.12 (11.9%)
6. In the Open.  Open fields with moderate to little terrain change and occasional trees or rocks for minimum cover.           20 (19.8%)

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 02:34:36 pm »
I'd like an ambush on a road from a forest, with destroyed carts everywhere

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:14:01 pm »
Whatever happend with that 'Forest Hideout' map? I remember playing it on EU4 and really enjoying in.

Offline Geranigus

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Internal Affairs)
  • Game nicks: (Guard) Geranigus, WMD
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:28:23 pm »
I did like that one as well, is it removed ?

God bless thee; and put meekness in thy mind, love, charity, obedience, and true duty!

Offline Helrekkr

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_Helrekkr
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 02:44:55 pm »
How about a "Castle in the mountains" type of map ?

- It would be inside a castle, though mostly on battlements and such. The castle would be on top of a very high altitude peak, perhaps you could only see clouds looking down from the walls.
 - Lots of "unsafe" causeways from which one might fall or be kicked off.
 - Some taller causeways from which you can see below for some ranged attacks, but possible access via tight corridor/staircases.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:25:49 pm »
Could be interesting, any sort of picture you could post to solidify what you're talking about?

On a general note, with the new patch out, and implementing a totally different gold/xp system, I foresee a very different fundamental structure to future maps.  Although team balance will be as essential as ever, the great need for focus that was previously demanded has more or less vanished.  Clearly it's preferable if rounds don't drag on interminably, but allowing for gold/xp wherever you are on the map alive or dead seems to me to mean that new maps will not need to be designed so strongly around the single focused combat area that made certain maps so popular pre-patch.  Anyone else have thoughts on this new development?

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:04:35 pm »
Good point, The need to be in a bottleneck to earn xp has vanished, but along with it a new phenomenon has emerged: the naked peasant hiding in the bushes waiting for the xp tick. I am not sure how much this really changes things as far as map balancing goes, I have yet too see people playing too far outside the conventional way maps have been played ,in the 4 months or so I have been playing crpg. I have noticed more cav than usual, and more pikes, but about the same amount of archery, albiet less effective. I certainly am not a fan of many of the sprawling, precipitous maps I have seen on EU servers, nor am I too fond of one-room-slaughter maps. I suspect that the nor will still be medium sized village/ruins maps being played in much the same way as before the change.

I will continue to try and make maps that force people out of their comfort zones,  and ignore most of the standard cliches while testing new concepts.  This game is great in that it forces players down to earth; unlike many fps games there is no jetpack, no special teleporter or boost, you are limited to what you can walk to, jump on or ladder up to. Also unlike most FPS style games, bunching up in tight groups is encouraged and enhances gameplay.   

The next level of map editing I want to try is spawn advancing battles. I would like to see servers trying to mix up gamemodes a  bit to encourage new maps and playstyles.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:10:28 pm by Nasturtium »

Offline Helrekkr

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:39:44 pm »
Could be interesting, any sort of picture you could post to solidify what you're talking about?

On a general note, with the new patch out, and implementing a totally different gold/xp system, I foresee a very different fundamental structure to future maps.  Although team balance will be as essential as ever, the great need for focus that was previously demanded has more or less vanished.  Clearly it's preferable if rounds don't drag on interminably, but allowing for gold/xp wherever you are on the map alive or dead seems to me to mean that new maps will not need to be designed so strongly around the single focused combat area that made certain maps so popular pre-patch.  Anyone else have thoughts on this new development?

(click to show/hide)

Just something quick i found with google image search, but i guess it's fairly close to what i was going for, with a focus on keeping the fight on the edges (on the battlements/towers mostly, possibly with the occasional crumbling wall allowing for a gap where the unaware could fall :P ) instead of inside to keep things interesting (and dangerous).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:43:26 pm by Helrekkr »

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 07:45:48 am »
Hahaha looks pretty awesome.  It might be a bit sophisticated for mount&blade engine.  You can't do anything too complex with atmosphere or terrain maps.  It would be a fun thing to try and pull off though.  You'd probably have to build the entire land with objects though.  Could be an awful lot of work.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 12:22:57 am »
You could do it.  You wouldn't have to build the entire land with objects, but unlike what the picture hints at, it wouldn't be disconnected from the ground, only very high up, and it wouldn't come to a point on the bottom, but if it's high enough up, and you have enough objects in the way, no one would really notice until they die and look around.

I agree with Kong though.  Looks like a decent amount of work....oh crap....I'm supposed to be redoing my Crashing Winery map....otherwise I'd take this on.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:36:22 am »
(click to show/hide)

Just something quick i found with google image search, but i guess it's fairly close to what i was going for, with a focus on keeping the fight on the edges (on the battlements/towers mostly, possibly with the occasional crumbling wall allowing for a gap where the unaware could fall :P ) instead of inside to keep things interesting (and dangerous).

Alright, since my Crashing Winery is indefinitely on hiatus (something with the prop interior isn't nice...fps drops big time), I'll see what I can do for ya with this idea.  To see progress on it, check here: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,132.msg7967.html#msg7967

Now, keep in mind, I can make it only so fall prone, since a lot of people will probably just not like a map where they keep falling into pits/to their deaths....but I'll put a few good falls in there for ya.  :wink:

Offline Helrekkr

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:36:03 am »
Alright, since my Crashing Winery is indefinitely on hiatus (something with the prop interior isn't nice...fps drops big time), I'll see what I can do for ya with this idea.  To see progress on it, check here: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,132.msg7967.html#msg7967

Now, keep in mind, I can make it only so fall prone, since a lot of people will probably just not like a map where they keep falling into pits/to their deaths....but I'll put a few good falls in there for ya.  :wink:

Hehe sweet, thank you :)
And I didn't even mention the spiky pits of flaming doom yet :P

PS: Wow that's great work, can't wait to play that :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:39:16 am by Helrekkr »

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:10:06 am »
Well, though it may be the worst idea ever, I've decided to try and make a map that looks something like this:

(click to show/hide)

It's called The Sudd, an immense region of swampland surrounding the White Nile in southern Sudan.  I've always found it a fascinating landscape in real life and couldn't help wondering what it would be like to fight there.  Guess we'll see.  I'll put up screens of the map when it starts to come together in the map development thread.  Time to see just how many plants a computer can actually handle  :twisted:

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:57:04 am »
  This looks like a super fin map to work on! You can hide all sorts of easter eggs in there  :lol:  I think the hard part with a wetland map like that would be getting the elevations just right, you don't want players under water hiding, or so many depressions that it becomes impossible to find one another. What plant props would you use for the hugh amount of long grass?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 11:07:32 am by Nasturtium »