Author Topic: Agincourt  (Read 79152 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
Re: Agincourt
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2011, 06:02:47 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk

for people who think longbow can kill plated knights

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2011, 12:24:50 pm »
Ever heard of skill needed to make good plate armor? You know, this one was made in modern times. Plate used by knights were sometimes better sometimes worse :P

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2011, 11:00:31 pm »
Ever heard of skill needed to make good plate armor? You know, this one was made in modern times. Plate used by knights were sometimes better sometimes worse :P

yes some plate were badly made and shattered when struck. However we aren't talking about shoddy made plate vs longbow, we're talking about plate in general.Plus, i am willing to be that a coat of plates would have a similar effect, and those were widely avaliable to knights by the 12th century.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2011, 11:09:32 pm »

:lol: did you even watch that? He clearly says that this was the type that was used in Vernuill (!?). If you don't know the significance of that then let me enlighten you. This was the first time the milanese steel was used on the field. Agincourt etc. were way before that and this was that one development in steel technology that made the longbow much less efficient. It was the milanese lombard cavalry that used this. For the first time you could easily protect most of the rider and the horse because the steel was much lighter than what came before that which was either really shit quality steel or iron.

[edit to add] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verneuil
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:10:52 pm by Joxer »
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2011, 11:23:34 pm »
Haven't you guys come to a conclusion here already? Come on, hurry up!

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2011, 11:38:00 pm »
:lol: did you even watch that? He clearly says that this was the type that was used in Vernuill (!?). If you don't know the significance of that then let me enlighten you. This was the first time the milanese steel was used on the field. Agincourt etc. were way before that and this was that one development in steel technology that made the longbow much less efficient. It was the milanese lombard cavalry that used this. For the first time you could easily protect most of the rider and the horse because the steel was much lighter than what came before that which was either really shit quality steel or iron.

[edit to add] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verneuil

"for those who think longbows could kill plated knights"

not "why agincourt was lost"

however, the coat of plates were of ample protection at the time. Frankly it could easily stop a longbow shot at any range except point blank. Agincourt was lost because of the terrain advantage the british had, and the dumb as rocks military ability of the french. Who charges into an area that restricts your field of movement when you have superiority in cav and numbers? They should have starved the british, but like Pompey at Pharsalus they would rather have a decisive victory than a certain one, honor over strategy.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:48:22 pm by Thucydides »

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2011, 07:31:53 am »
Yes exactly. That type of a plate armor didn't even excist at the time of agincourt. After verneuil (!?) though we see english getting owned more and more. So battles before this the longbow was hugely effective and after this not so much.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2011, 08:25:38 am »
Yes exactly. That type of a plate armor didn't even excist at the time of agincourt. After verneuil (!?) though we see english getting owned more and more. So battles before this the longbow was hugely effective and after this not so much.

i would disagree somewhat, like i said the coat of plates provided ample protection against arrows except at point blank, however not everyone can afford a coat of plates. Longbows were highly effective against the lightly armored scots or welsh, but against well armored knights and men at arms, not so much.

Anyways, my post was in response to a dude in the 80 man NA server who claimed that longbows can pierce plate. I posted it here because i didn't want to start a whole nother thread just to beret his ass

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2011, 02:25:58 pm »
Dude noone wore coat of plates at agincourt. It would've weighted so much the guy would've just collapsed unless it was 1mm thick in which case it would simply shatter on impact. Btw in case you didn't notice in the video they use a bodkin against the armor too. Bodkins where made fast and easy with low grade material since that didn't matter for their intented purpose which was to pierce mail.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2011, 03:43:13 pm »
I agree. :lol:

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2011, 12:29:12 am »
Dude noone wore coat of plates at agincourt. It would've weighted so much the guy would've just collapsed unless it was 1mm thick in which case it would simply shatter on impact. Btw in case you didn't notice in the video they use a bodkin against the armor too. Bodkins where made fast and easy with low grade material since that didn't matter for their intented purpose which was to pierce mail.

knights would use them. Furthermore Transistionals would be in full swing by agincourt, providing effective coverage to troops. However, horses were not covered in plate so that would explain the effectiveness of longbowmen against cavalry charges. The battle of Poitiers is an example of this.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2011, 11:37:01 am »
howmany archers where there? Let's say 2000 archers (probably wrong)

If you, with great armour and stuff, have to run across a muddy field, while you know that roughly 2000 arrows will come down at you every 12 seconds?
You have heard horrid tales of kings getting shot, and how accurate some archers are.
You know that it's luck based if you don't get hit, and that if you get hit and fall (not die) you will get trampled by your brothers in arms and drowned in mud.
And you know that when you reach their lines there will be fresh english knights and footmen who slaughter you while you are exhausted from dragging your entire equipment trough a muddy mess, continously holding your shield up?

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2011, 03:24:30 pm »
Try more close to 11.000 :D

Offline Original_Sin

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Dunn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bartering Brigade Black Tea
  • IRC nick: Original Sin [afk mostly]
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2011, 11:40:11 pm »

as an ex-archer both with long and strong bows I was shaken up.
+1 for the video.

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2011, 02:00:49 pm »
i think the spanish one this war becouase they hda canons and blew all the other pepole away wit them