Author Topic: Pole-Axes being balanced  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
Pole-Axes being balanced
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:52:41 pm »
I think that there should be more unbalanced axes, especially on the pole-arms side, all you have to do is look at the weapon and you can tell its unbalanced, but in the game it's not. Just go through the pole-arms and look at some of the weapons you'd think would be unbalanced, many pole-arms are a stick with a large head at the end of it. eg Long-hafted mace, Long-spiked club, LONG AXE, Swiss Halberd, Long War Axe, Great Long Axe, German Pole axe,

The normal Pole axe if you look at it, looks a bit more balanced so that makes sense.
Same with the elegant pole axe, looks balanced so makes sense that it is balanced.

THE LONG WAR AXES and stuff like that, doesn't make any sense.

The smaller 2h weapon 2 handed War Axe is unbalanced where as the pole arm, Long war axe is balanced this doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm lookin' at it the wrong way, someone can probably explain why this is the way it is, I just think it's kinda silly you can swing a pole axe around wildly and it has the same recovering speed as if you're swinging a sword. Example you miss, and you can swing directly after. where as if it's unbalanced a miss means you have to wait a little time to start swinging again.

Just my opinion, maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Thanks for any input you guys put in :)

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
Re: Pole-Axes being balanced
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:26:02 pm »
Maybe I'm lookin' at it the wrong way, someone can probably explain why this is the way it is

I think the idea is that in PA animations the weapon is held further up the haft, so closer to the blade, while in 2hand animations both hands hold the weapon close to the hilt. So the PA weapons have reduced range in the actual swing because of the way they're held, but it's easier to swing them compared to swinging a 2hander of similar or more weight, because you're holding the 2hander at the base. You can try the animations out with a stick if you like - they do make a certain amount of sense.

For example, in native iirc the great long axe in 2hand mode becomes unbalanced, but in PA mode it isn't.
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:51:54 pm »
It made sense. However, 2h axes are still too long compared to axes that are usable using such grip. Be glad they are decent in game.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:02:39 pm »
To be fair it mostly depends on the physical fitness of the user, nothing in this game is too unrealistic.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »
Definitely most polearms should add this trait
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:41:36 pm »
I think the idea is that in PA animations the weapon is held further up the haft, so closer to the blade, while in 2hand animations both hands hold the weapon close to the hilt. So the PA weapons have reduced range in the actual swing because of the way they're held, but it's easier to swing them compared to swinging a 2hander of similar or more weight, because you're holding the 2hander at the base. You can try the animations out with a stick if you like - they do make a certain amount of sense.

For example, in native iirc the great long axe in 2hand mode becomes unbalanced, but in PA mode it isn't.

Exactly this. The unbalanced part isn't all about weight, it's also in the way the weapon is held. Sure, if you tried to balance it on a fence post, it'd fall over towards the heavy metal head, but shifting your grip can make it feel more balanced, especially with familiarity with the weapon.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:43:21 pm by Kophka »

Offline Welcome_To_Hell

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: nK / Northern Empire
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:10:00 pm »
They should get the "unbalanced" flag, for the simple reason that people can feint with them like with one handed weapons due to their weight and speed rating.

Give them the "unbalanced" flag.
  - Feinting more difficult
  - Much Less spammy
  - They will still remain much faster than Bardiches and Long Axe's (lower weight, higher speed rating)

Two handed Axes should keep the "unbalanced" flag. It makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:11:51 pm by Welcome_To_Hell »