Author Topic: Mounted Thrower  (Read 880 times)

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
Mounted Thrower
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:25:00 pm »
Last week I finally respeced my Mounted Thrower to an Infantry one ... and now the patch has come in.
 :rolleyes:

The greater ammunition is nice but from the perspective of a mounted thrower I am more interested to know what effect the patch has had on throwing from horseback in terms of accuracy.

Has anyone tried it out yet? Or shall I just bite the bullet and respec my thrower for the 3rd time in a week.
 :?

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
Re: Mounted Thrower
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:28:31 pm »
Make a skip-the-fun alt.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:23:45 pm »

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:44:51 pm »
The greatest gripe for a mounted thrower is that his own movement speed does not count towards a damage bonus from speed. It would otherwise be awesome because the low initial shot speed would result in a great damage increase if the mount speed would be added on top. Sadly only the target's speed in relation to the unmoving map is used in bonus damage calculation.

However this actually can be kinda exploited by the thrower if he manages to make the target cav chase him. Throwing then backwards at the following horseman gives a great damage bonus while of course in the real world there would be no extra damage because both horsemen move at the same speed(parallel to each other).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:47:14 pm by Paul »

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »
Alba I have recently gone back to mounted thrower : 

to put some perspective here's the current build -

lvl 25 -

str 13 - agility 18

IF 0
PS 4
Ath 1
Shi 0
Ri 6
Ha 3
PD 0
PT 4
WM 6

126 throwing
100 polearm

riding a champion sarranid
wearing tribal light armour
Deadly War spear
6 Balanced javelins (2 bags)

The crosshairs are no where near dedicated Ha standard but for a hybrid they are not bad :/ Dont have any screenshots but you can hit a lancer charging you relatively easily (though I'm out of practice). It is not a full build but once it is I will have PT 6 and maybe 135 wpf in thrwoing so a slight increase in accuracy is expected. Damage isnt high atm.

Conclusion a slightly more accurate, but less ammo version of the one pre throwing nerf, with slower horses. I can usually get a positive K/d with it and any mounted throw kills give that pulse of awesome like before :D

Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:20:01 pm »
Make a skip-the-fun alt.

I thought you could only have one char if you skip the fun?  Did this change after the last patch? 

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:25:23 pm »
Yeah it has been changed so you can have a single "skip the fun" character but still have others too.

One thing to remember though is that setting a character to skip the fun doesnt reset already spent points, you should do it with a lvl 1 character with no points spent.

So I respeced my thrower and he's now lvl 21 and it seems Javalry is playable again.

*does the happy dance*