Author Topic: Another Cavalry Balance suggestion  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
Re: Another Cavalry Balance suggestion
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 08:17:58 pm »
Archers complain about cavalry?
Cavalry can go fuck itself, I have a god damned War Bow and it is master worked.

It is more often then not Melee users who complain about Lancers.
Not really, nooblets like Keshian are archers who keep getting onehit by lancers because they can't aim for shit. And yes, the meleers you mentioned are the random noobs who get backstabbed in my post.

I don't get it really, if there is anything OP right now, it would be Xbows and Longbows.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 08:19:24 pm »
yes, wanna know even more interesting heards? Projectile's speed will be lowered by 31%. Longbow arrows has 55 projectile speed, will have 38 after patch.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 08:21:28 pm »
yes, wanna know even more interesting heards? Projectile's speed will be lowered by 31%. Longbow arrows has 55 projectile speed, will have 38 after patch.

I don't understand that at all, if you are serious. This speed reduction means that the range of bows will be virtually non-existent and bows will turn into shotguns. Why not keep projectile speed the way it is, and just heavily reduce the damage by 31%?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 08:22:45 pm »
I don't understand that at all, if you are serious. This speed reduction means that the range of bows will be virtually non-existent and bows will turn into shotguns. Why not keep projectile speed the way it is, and just heavily reduce the damage by 31%?
Indeed, the Longbow is already too much of a shotgun already, I don't want them keeping that insane damage.
Reducing damage is key, not projectile speed.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 08:29:39 pm »

lets be honest.  i only see noobs complaining,  or pple ive never seen on the battlefield (sry kesh).
all guys that i noticed for their skills are cool with balance,  and they are in every class.

ill repeat myself:  wheres the fun without threats?
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 08:32:57 pm »
lets be honest.  i only see noobs complaining,  or pple ive never seen on the battlefield (sry kesh).
all guys that i noticed for their skills are cool with balance,  and they are in every class.

ill repeat myself:  wheres the fun without threats?
Don't you get it Torben? Let's see:
- Archers like to run away, they can't anymore if lancers follow them.
- People don't like getting backstabbed or knocked down, guess what? We do those things like no other class.

In my opinion buffing throwing, lowering armoured horse upkeep and nerfing longbow/xbow damage are the only balance topics that need to be adressed.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 08:34:09 pm »
Indeed, the Longbow is already too much of a shotgun already, I don't want them keeping that insane damage.
Reducing damage is key, not projectile speed.

meh,  i dont want anything changed.  softening things up makes the gaming experience soft,  doesnt foster teamwork and is as apealling as some ugly bitch snowballing a dwarf.

the only thing i can imagine is that the mod will turn into a very melee inf heavy one,  which can be apealling aswell,  however lacking a lot of the charm you get of deversity. 
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 08:34:47 pm »
+1

So....arrow 38 speed, horse 48 speed? Anyone else see something wrong with that?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 08:36:05 pm »
Don't you get it Torben? Let's see:
- Archers like to run away, they can't anymore if lancers follow them.
- People don't like getting backstabbed or knocked down, guess what? We do those things like no other class.

ya but skilled archers dont run.  they shoot youre horse in the head.  or they kill the rider.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 08:37:23 pm »
So....arrow 38 speed, horse 48 speed? Anyone else see something wrong with that?

Well, this means that we can defend ourselves against Horses, but the melee we are protecting will be screwed...
BRB, falling out of my chair laughing my bum off.

Oh yeah, and this makes shooting at horse archers very very interesting.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:00:49 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 09:20:16 pm »
The problem is none of you has an idea what those numbers mean ingame.

Aww, whatever. Longbow will have a "real" shoot speed with minimum PD(6) of 60 m/s. A destrier with riding 4 has a "real" top speed of 9 to 10 m/s. Those are both pretty realistic values compared to the real world.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:25:28 pm by Paul »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 09:23:57 pm »
The problem is none of you has an idea what those numbers mean ingame.

Hardly.

The real problem is that any change has to be made fun of.

Even if you were to post perfect example, people would still complain and overreact.
Remember when the slot patch hit? All those cries of "The Game is ruined!" and now we have more players then ever...

Offline Bromagi

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 09:29:55 pm »
Man whats up with people hating cav so much lately.. just get a long spear/pike thats what ive been doing since I can remember and never really had a prob as a shielder .. as cav i gotta say nerfing acceleration wont do anything really since I always stay at full speed and just lance people that are not paying attention or dont bother using a pike...   nerfing the horse only makes investing money into a horse that dies almost every round due to ranged even more useless... if you really hate horses, make a horse archer or a thrower and kill the horses.. or even better, buy a sniper-Xbow.
"A pint of ale will make your nipples stale"- Brogg

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 11:40:47 pm »
+1
We, of course, thought of this before. Actually chadz himself had the idea to lower horse accel. Unfortunately both horse accelation and the ability to turn are hardcoded to share the horse maneuverability stat. We can't reduce them seperately. Lowering this stat significantly means hurting sword&board cavalry the most who need their horse agility. Instead there will be a specific change that is targeted at lancers only as well as some lesser speed and maneu reduces for unarmored horses.

For the future we might be able to seperate horse maneu into accelleration and turn ability with WSE, if cmp cba to do that.

I didn't say archers aren't violated as well.

Man, you're full of win !!!

Archers complain about cavalry?
Cavalry can go fuck itself, I have a god damned War Bow and it is master worked.

I agree with this. I played both cav and inf a lot and there's something that is quite shocking about cavalry and archers, it's that cav isn't really a counter to archers. Since decent archers will either headshot the horse or shoot the rider if he is coming straigth at the archer, backstabbing is the only way against (decent) archers. Now that people know how to play, archers stick together, watch their and friend's backs, making it very hard for a cav to backstab them (even with a perfectly flat map).

Melee, however, are extremely vulnerable to lancers. Only a few weapons are longer than a heavy lance (pikes, greatsword). Furthermore, infantry can't be as easily aware of surroundings as archers when fighting, which makes them easy targets for cav.

The first problem with cav balance is the poke lance domination. 1h cav and couched lance styles are nearly non-existent, because inferior in every way. Then only come horses, and the only problematic horses I see are the arab with absolutely OP maneuvrability and the courser that is a good compromise of speed, maneuver and hp/armor. Heavy horses should be more affordable, because they are nearly equal to light ones. Their uses are different. While light cav is good at killing other cav and backstabbing, heavy cav can actually charge archers and infantry clusters. Their excessive price isn't justified.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 12:23:35 am »
Melee, however, are extremely vulnerable to lancers. Only a few weapons are longer than a heavy lance (pikes, greatsword). Furthermore, infantry can't be as easily aware of surroundings as archers when fighting, which makes them easy targets for cav.

true

The first problem with cav balance is the poke lance domination. 1h cav and couched lance styles are nearly non-existent, because inferior in every way.

dude,  where are you all day,  1h cav player base is getting stronger by the day,  doing just as well against inf as lancers are.  ever against other cav they are very skilled and know how to stop and slash without getting poked.