Author Topic: Another Cavalry Balance suggestion  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Anti

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Another Cavalry Balance suggestion
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:25:45 pm »
+1
So, I've read a couple threads on this topic, played against cav ingame and played as cav ingame...and I have to say....I think I've figured out what would really balance this class.

Reduce the Acceleration of the horses.

Currently, horses can go from 0 to top speed in literally no time flat, despite the fact that they may or may not be covered in plates of steel. I mean, cavalry players in crpg literally have nothing to fear from anyone who isn't hold a pike. Why? Because, they know that even IF an infantry players sees a cavalry player coming and readies his pole arm to stab, they will most likely trample them if they miss the lance. Cav, shouldn't just get off with with a small smack on the wrist and a possible kill.

Decreasing the acceleration of horses would require lancers to think more tactically about their targets. At present, Cav players don't need to build much momentum to even ready their lances for an unblockable, instakill couch. This ability can be used for an unlimited amount of times durring the course of a game. A couched lance isn't something that can be pulled off as easily as it is.

This suggestion honestly shouldn't affect anyone who doesn't solely rely on couched lances and tramples to play cav effectively, while punishing people who play the class poorly.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:31:07 pm by Anti »

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
Re: Another Cavalry Balance suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:27:25 pm »
+1
One of the most inteligent cav balance suggestions that Ive ever seen, not sure if the acceleration of horses is hardcored or not, though.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 07:52:54 pm »
And yet again, this suggestion nerfs the usefullness of armoured horses even more.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Anti

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 07:58:25 pm »
I merely suggested a universal decrease in acceleration, perhaps more in line with what horses in native are. I fail to see how that will nerf armored horses specifically. As I've said, my suggestion will only punish bad cavalry players that rely soley on couches and tramples to get kills. If you fall into this category, then, I suppose I see why you dislike the idea.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:00:45 pm »
I merely suggested a universal decrease in acceleration, perhaps more in line with what horses in native are. I fail to see how that will nerf armored horses specifically. As I've said, my suggestion will only punish bad cavalry players that rely soley on couches and tramples to get kills. If you fall into this category, then, I suppose I see why you dislike the idea.
Solely relying on those risky manouvres would be idiotic.

I am just saying, the more you nerf stuff like speed and manouverability across the board, you will make the lighter horses better and better than armoured ones.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:01:32 pm »
+2
We, of course, thought of this before. Actually chadz himself had the idea to lower horse accel. Unfortunately both horse accelation and the ability to turn are hardcoded to share the horse maneuverability stat. We can't reduce them seperately. Lowering this stat significantly means hurting sword&board cavalry the most who need their horse agility. Instead there will be a specific change that is targeted at lancers only as well as some lesser speed and maneu reduces for unarmored horses.

For the future we might be able to seperate horse maneu into accelleration and turn ability with WSE, if cmp cba to do that.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 08:04:06 pm »
We, of course, thought of this before. Actually chadz himself had the idea to lower horse accel. Unfortunately both horse accelation and the ability to turn are hardcoded to share the horse maneuverability stat. We can't reduce them seperately. Lowering this stat significantly means hurting sword&board cavalry the most who need their horse agility. Instead there will be a specific change that is targeted at lancers only as well as some lesser speed and maneu reduces for unarmored horses.

For the future we might be able to seperate horse maneu into accelleration and turn ability with WSE, if cmp cba to do that.
That's just great, the archers are perfectly fine! But the lancers are not! Nope, while anyone can counter them with a mere downblock, they need a nerf!

Glad I switched to 2hander cav, jeesh.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:05:47 pm »

aw :/
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 08:07:43 pm »
aw :/
Dont worry mate, they will see in the future that they will do wrong by doing this. Ranged spam has already commenced, it won't be long after the next patch that they will see they had overnerfed lancers.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:09:02 pm »
I didn't say archers aren't violated as well.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 08:10:06 pm »
Dont worry mate, they will see in the future that they will do wrong by doing this. Ranged spam has already commenced, it won't be long after the next patch that they will see they had overnerfed lancers.

or theyll just nerf ranged than.  nerf this nerf that untill we are all a happy crowd of carebears throwing rainbows at eachother : D
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 08:11:43 pm »

Don't forget the xbows too.^^
Was fun seeing DaveUKR on irc, speaking about a 30% less damage or something, on a high armored fellow.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »

or theyll just nerf ranged than.  nerf this nerf that untill we are all a happy crowd of carebears throwing rainbows at eachother : D
It's getting kinda retarded imo, the cycle of nerfing everything. Untill we come to a point where we almost don't deal damage anymore :/.

But meh, cRPG isn't a mod for the community, but a mod supported by the community. Alas, the devs thus don't care about our opinions.

@Paul: Seeing as how only archers and random noobs who get backstabbed seem to whine about cavalry, I wasn't expecting them to be nerfed too.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 08:13:18 pm »

^^

i just wonder where the challange will be if there arent anymore threats : /

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 08:15:22 pm »
@Paul: Seeing as how only archers and random noobs who get backstabbed seem to whine about cavalry, I wasn't expecting them to be nerfed too.

Archers complain about cavalry?
Cavalry can go fuck itself, I have a god damned War Bow and it is master worked.

It is more often then not Melee users who complain about Lancers.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.