Author Topic: Side blocking for shield  (Read 1405 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Side blocking for shield
« on: March 18, 2014, 12:19:23 am »
+13
One annoyance I have as a shielder is having to spin around back and forth to block at multiple angles against ranged. In most cases, it's really only 45 degrees on the left and right. Sometimes, you can't spin fast enough to block the projectiles you want. I learned from the shield nudge that there is an always active force field against ranged at the shield's position that gets expanded once the block is held, making me think that slightly offset shield positions could work.

I think that if you perform left+block and right+block, separate blocking positions with the shield pointed more towards the left/right should occur, with the cover centering closer to the appropriate shoulder. The shift shouldn't be so great that you can't block directly in front of you, too. You'll just have a slightly bigger gap on the opposite side of yourself. Up/down block would use the default blocking animation.

This could also help for hitting around shield on your sides a little bit at the cost of making you more open to the other side as long as it works that way against melee in the code.

1 problem outside of whether it's possible is that the right block may be a little glitchy with feinting since the weapon would have to rest at the player's side.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Side blocking for shield
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:53:42 am »
+14
I think shielders should provide a much better counter to ranged, I don't care how. I have never dared to pick any other shields than round shields because archers shoot past a shield on the side incredibly easily. Perhaps it is due to my preference for having no higher than 4 shield skill, but the one time I tried using a knightly kite, archers literally shot past my shield at about a 30 degree angle, which I think is ridiculous. 45 degree coverage should be the bare minimum in my opinion.

Then there are tons of other things that make shielders not the counter to ranged they should be. Crossbows penetrating shields, terrible mechanic. Very awkward and hard to trigger interrupt for walking into a ranged player allowing them to pull of gay ass face hug shots, should trigger much faster. Slow movement speed when blocking with a shield, shielders are unable to use their shield while trying to catch up with ranged. So much factors that make groups of ranged incredibly hard to fight even with an equal number of shielders. Sure this change might help a little, but it is probably too dev time intensive at this point.

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:01:08 am »
Shielders being buffed vs ranged would be fine but they need some sort of "counter" for other melee classes when they decide to play awfully like they can. It's honestly the absolute worst thing in the game when you're in a 1v1 with a shielder in battle and they s key to their team while blocking if you go after them, their shield never breaking and them hitting back once every 5-6 of your attacks, and then if you decide "fuck this it's not worth it" they just follow you and attack you from behind so you have to fight them. (worst with hoplites)

Make it so a certain number of repeated attacks against a shield by the same person, say 3-4 cause the shield to instantly drop to the ground. Thanks in advance  :arrow:.

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 01:06:22 am »
+3
Shielders being buffed vs ranged would be fine but they need some sort of "counter" for other melee classes when they decide to play awfully like they can. It's honestly the absolute worst thing in the game when you're in a 1v1 with a shielder in battle and they s key to their team while blocking if you go after them, their shield never breaking and them hitting back once every 5-6 of your attacks, and then if you decide "fuck this it's not worth it" they just follow you and attack you from behind so you have to fight them. (worst with hoplites)

Make it so a certain number of repeated attacks against a shield by the same person, say 3-4 cause the shield to instantly drop to the ground. Thanks in advance  :arrow:.

I think what San is proposing also adds in that counter for melee. They can use the side blocks to turn their shield to one side and cover that side a bit, but if they make a mistake they open up the wrong side and give you an opening to hit them, thus making blocking with a shield more diverse and a little more challenging.
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:40:35 am »
+1
^What he said.

I'm not thinking about this in terms of buff/nerf, since blocking and turning accomplishes the same thing. It's just that it disorients your view and you often times have to turn the other way right afterwards. The end result is a shielder that has to spin like a ballerina all the time.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:46:28 am »
+1
Then there are tons of other things that make shielders not the counter to ranged they should be. Crossbows penetrating shields, terrible mechanic. Very awkward and hard to trigger interrupt for walking into a ranged player allowing them to pull of gay ass face hug shots, should trigger much faster. Slow movement speed when blocking with a shield, shielders are unable to use their shield while trying to catch up with ranged. So much factors that make groups of ranged incredibly hard to fight even with an equal number of shielders. Sure this change might help a little, but it is probably too dev time intensive at this point.

Good to read I'm not a complete lunatic when I talk about that,

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:30:07 am »
I think that if you perform left+block and right+block, separate blocking positions with the shield pointed more towards the left/right should occur, with the cover centering closer to the appropriate shoulder. The shift shouldn't be so great that you can't block directly in front of you, too. You'll just have a slightly bigger gap on the opposite side of yourself. Up/down block would use the default blocking animation.

love it. would bring alot more facette to shielder gameplay. cut to the chase, shielder is easymode (just like any other class, right jarlek?  :lol: )

I think shielders should provide a much better counter to ranged, I don't care how. I have never dared to pick any other shields than round shields because archers shoot past a shield on the side incredibly easily. Perhaps it is due to my preference for having no higher than 4 shield skill, but the one time I tried using a knightly kite, archers literally shot past my shield at about a 30 degree angle, which I think is ridiculous. 45 degree coverage should be the bare minimum in my opinion.

Then there are tons of other things that make shielders not the counter to ranged they should be. Crossbows penetrating shields, terrible mechanic. Very awkward and hard to trigger interrupt for walking into a ranged player allowing them to pull of gay ass face hug shots, should trigger much faster. Slow movement speed when blocking with a shield, shielders are unable to use their shield while trying to catch up with ranged. So much factors that make groups of ranged incredibly hard to fight even with an equal number of shielders.

dis ^ good teeth. wise words. good stuff.

but 4 shield, lol, then id rather spend 4 points in IF or riding  :lol: in my head, if you gonna use shield, MINIMUM 5 shield skill regardless of what shield you use. but hey thats just me :p

Sure this change might help a little, but it is probably too dev time intensive at this point

yes, they are working on new items.  :lol:

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:27:07 am »
There is something borked not just with anti ranged equipment but the way it is so easy to counter melee in melee range and how good ranged classes can be in melee. It is 10x easier to defend against melee in melee range than it is to defend against ranged at a distance, and melee vs melee is like rock vs rock, while ranged versus melee is rock vs paper. There is no real scissors as a melee class to counter ranged like ranged can counter melee at a distance. The real counter to ranged is more paper and very situational cav

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:43:12 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 01:52:49 pm »
+1
Just add dual wielding.

For shields.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 05:04:49 pm »
+1
love it. would bring alot more facette to shielder gameplay. cut to the chase, shielder is easymode (just like any other class, right jarlek?  :lol: )
Shielder is by far the hardest class to do well with. I'll go 1h no shield any time over 1h w/ shield just for the 1 extra PS or athl. Shielders are my number one target on my archer or crossbow alts because of how much easier they are to shoot. There's a reason every time I go on my shielder I rage-switch to my any of my other alts because it's just terrible.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 12:49:16 am »
Shielder is by far the hardest class to do well with. I'll go 1h no shield any time over 1h w/ shield just for the 1 extra PS or athl. Shielders are my number one target on my archer or crossbow alts because of how much easier they are to shoot. There's a reason every time I go on my shielder I rage-switch to my any of my other alts because it's just terrible.

tnx for your input mate :*

couldnt agree more and love that someone else said it, haha

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 01:13:47 am »
Shielder is by far the hardest class to do well with.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 03:00:20 am »

this so fucking much, quoted for truth
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Shemaforash

• Duke
  • Renown: 533
  • Infamy: 169
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shemaforash
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 03:23:23 am »
One annoyance I have as a shielder is having to spin around back and forth to block at multiple angles against ranged. In most cases, it's really only 45 degrees on the left and right. Sometimes, you can't spin fast enough to block the projectiles you want. I learned from the shield nudge that there is an always active force field against ranged at the shield's position that gets expanded once the block is held, making me think that slightly offset shield positions could work.

This could also help for hitting around shield on your sides a little bit at the cost of making you more open to the other side as long as it works that way against melee in the code.

1 problem outside of whether it's possible is that the right block may be a little glitchy with feinting since the weapon would have to rest at the player's side.

hmmng, the reason there's a forcefield is to compensate for real life movement that isn't possible illustrating in-game. I'm not against the change but I prefer it to stay as it is.
You should be punished for having a shitty attitude.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »
+1

Counter=Axes.

I can't say anything about the suggestion before trying it out by the way.
It may be epic and bring an end to shield blocks being useless compared to weapon blocks in melee aswell.
It may be a total mess with fail hit detection , causing more rage on already fucked up shielder class.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:29:32 pm by koyama »