cRPG > Guides

Changing CD Keys Quick and Easy

(1/1)

Socrates:
Hello today I'm going to tell you how to change Warband CD Keys Quick and Easy. First downoad this RAR provided.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4afcs7c5o1kezxa

Once that is done extract all the files to somewhere you'll remember. This RAR contains two REG files. One for your Main key and one for your ALT key. To edit them right-click them and open with notepad.
Once you do that you'll see something along the lines like this inside.

--- Code: ---REGEDIT4
Blank line
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MountAndBladeWarbandKeys]
"serial_key"="ALTCDKEYGOESHERE"
Blank line

--- End code ---

Just simply replace your Alternate CD key in the quotes with all the hyphens and such and you're done.
Now you'll have to put your main CD key in the other REG file.

--- Code: ---REGEDIT4
Blank line
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MountAndBladeWarbandKeys]
"serial_key"="MAINCDKEYGOESHERE"
Blank line

--- End code ---

Same thing again. Replace the letters in the quote with your CD Key and you should be done.

Once you are done to switch Keys just simply click on a REG and it's done start up Warband and play.

STEAM USERS LISTEN CAREFULLY

If you bought Warband on steam you'll have to install the non-steam one so you can play on your alternate CD key. This is, because if you change the CD Key and launch the Warband from steam it'll change the Key back to the original steam one. This is a double-edged advantage. This means you only need your alternate REG so you can run that once and play on Non-steam and then when done just launch the Steam Warband without using the other REG.

Also if you are on Steam and using a key make sure it's not the 5 code key and the 4 code key. IE XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX. To fix this goto here and convert it to a 4-key code so it works in the REGedit.

http://www.taleworlds.com/main.aspx?dir=convertserial.aspx

Cyclopsided:
I change my cd keys all the time manually and it takes me less than 5 seconds.
Just to let you know, 5x5 and 4x4 keys both work. There are no problems, not one, with using them interchangeably in regedit. You don't have to go through any of that trouble.
The thing about launching with steam is that steam automatically over-writes the registry with the steam key. So this causes all kinds of head aches no matter what. I just don't play with steam usually anyways.

For me, all I do is hit start --> run and type in regedit. Luckily, I don't even have to do that the second time since run saves the most recent thing typed already in it.
regedit launches and you go to My computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MountAndBladeWarbandKeys and double click on serial_key and paste in the CD key you want that you save in a text file on your desktop for ease of use. You don't have to find that file path a second time since regedit saves the most recent filepath in it every time you launch it.

And bam! you are done! That is it. All I do is open a text file on my computer, copy the cd key, click start, click run, click ok for regedit, double click on serial key, Hit paste. Less than 5 seconds. You don't even have to close warband to do it, since it is just a registry check upon joining the servers, so you can sit at the server select screen while doing it if you want.
I've never changed CD keys while in a server, and I highly suggest you don't in case it kicks you or something.
idk, I just don't see why you should go through the trouble of downloading anything or switching a 5x5 key to a 4x4 key.

Classical:

--- Quote from: Socrates on June 24, 2011, 09:52:03 pm ---STEAM USERS LISTEN CAREFULLY

If you bought Warband on steam you'll have to install the non-steam one so you can play on your alternate CD key. This is, because if you change the CD Key and launch the Warband from steam it'll change the Key back to the original steam one. This is a double-edged advantage. This means you only need your alternate REG so you can run that once and play on Non-steam and then when done just launch the Steam Warband without using the other REG.

Also if you are on Steam and using a key make sure it's not the 5 code key and the 4 code key. IE XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX. To fix this goto here and convert it to a 4-key code so it works in the REGedit.

http://www.taleworlds.com/main.aspx?dir=convertserial.aspx

--- End quote ---

As an alternative, this is what I would do, if I hypothetically had another serial.

Steam will automatically set your registry to the key registered to that Steam account on the start/launch of Mount&Blade, so once you start your client up, simply minimize and double click a registry key with the alternative serial on it. That will add it to the registry, not to be replaced since Steam already did it's check, and shapow, you're using your alt. serial key.

To go back to your original serial key, simply start the game through Steam, and it will replace your old serial (The one you just set) with the one linked to that account. If you have a 4 code key, I'm fairly certain things get a little trickier, but it's still technically doable.

This solution is only viable if you're a lazy bastard who doesn't want to switch Steam accounts every five minutes, and doesn't want two installations of the game floating around on your hard drive. You can also change your keys in the registry manually everytime, but I find it easier just to setup a reg key and double click it after starting the game everytime, rather than going into the registry.

Cyclopsided:
4 code (4x4 keys) and 5 code (5x5 keys) have no issues. Both work. You don't need to change one into the other or anything.
Just had to say it again.

Classical:

--- Quote from: Marathon on July 06, 2011, 09:50:50 am ---4 code (4x4 keys) and 5 code (5x5 keys) have no issues. Both work. You don't need to change one into the other or anything.
Just had to say it again.

--- End quote ---

Plus, isn't it the case when you change a 5x5 to a 4x4 you are essentially changing your serial key and your characters in cRPG, etc, are lost? I was always unsure on this detail, but it seems logical in how the cRPG database might link your accounts with serial, unless it's just a derivative of your unique ID.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version