Author Topic: Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series  (Read 31090 times)

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
Re: Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2019, 02:06:24 am »
+1
The show is really good at the start. I think I liked episode 3 the most, got me even hyped for the rest. But it all gets worse the further it goes.

otherwise
- absolutely horrible costumes, all of them. there is not a single one i like really, maybe only Zerrikans looked sort of all right or some guards. the same goes for most of the weapons, some are utter shit, crossbows for example are just i don't even know meh... crossbows and condoms in homo armor... who the hell was so drunk to draw them and so stoned he let them even go through, or dryad's costumes made from plastic  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
- the show is rushed, i don't believe anybody not reading the books can make any sense of it.
- monster design is not so good either I think. I can't really say I liked a single monster in the show... well geenie was great, but that doesn't really count. Striga was really off I think - a pulp of undefinable shape with teeth. Maybe hedgehog was ok except for his armor, it was supposed to be all spiky. Yarpen's face is awesome and his speach and scottish accent too, but his companions and their skinny bodies are... well they just look like a joke. Even Tyrion looked tougher.
- not that great casting, witcher I was thinking is going to be the worst is actually ok. Yennefer looks more like a cheap whore than a refined cunning woman. Marigold is crap. Ciri or Tissaia are awesome though.
- script is alright in the start, there are some things not mentioned from the books (or i don't remember them) that are actually really cool. I really liked piglet part for example. Didn't quite grasped what made her so special in the end though. The later the show goes the worse it gets imho especially when the script is not following the books.
- combat scenes are pretty good, some are even excellent like Blaviken fight is just super great for example.
- battles are anything between below average to alright.
- dialogues are alright, some are even pretty good, but again as the show progresses it gets worse.

If I'd score it for the start I'd give it 8/10 easily, the end deserves like 5/10
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:10:45 am by Beauchamp »
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2019, 08:21:08 am »
+1
Finished episode 3.

Yennefer's actress is good, but I think she was miscast anyway. The big "reveal" scene was cringy. She is not pretty enough to warrant that dramatic entrance and everyone turning to stare at her. Pretty, but not "wow, someone used magic to become as beautiful as they could and now everyone is amazed" pretty. Because of her strong jaw, I actually thought the jaw didn't even get fixed, at first...

And yes, if you haven't played the game/read the books, the show will probably make very little sense to you. That is very bad for getting the wider audience to appreciate it. Also, there are weird time jumps that aren't explained well enough for mainstream consumption.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2019, 10:38:23 am »
+1
I couldn't sit through the first 15 minutes
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2019, 06:52:49 pm »
how visible are henry's pecs and how erotic are his combat grunts? i can't decide if i want to watch the show yet

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 815
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2019, 03:15:09 am »
Saw an interview with him and he is a lot different than what I've seen so far in movies. Dunno how he manages to suck as an actor so much even tho he is able to transform into a role just fine. Honestly thinks hed be much better Superman if he didn't act at all and just be himself instead. His Geralt from little I saw today is like a caricature but he gets a pass, its video game character after all. With that muffled voice and sunglasses to cover that horrible runny mascara he can easily pass as JC Denton, not just Geralt.

Have yet to watch enough to give better judgment but from what I have read, they did everything they could. Witcher is a great video game but Sapkowski isn't a great writer and his books are average at best fantasy series. Base material is too weak.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2019, 06:17:54 pm »
how visible are henry's pecs and how erotic are his combat grunts? i can't decide if i want to watch the show yet
You should watch it, just don't go in with too high expectations. It's a pretty good show. Nothing spectacular, but enjoyable if you can ignore some bad aspects. Just like most TV shows.

I think Henry's Geralt is one of the best things about the TV show, even if it does come across as overacting a bit at times, and mostly he's just saying "hm." But that's fine, TV could use more male protagonists that aren't extremely excitable and "in touch with their emotions."
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2019, 06:29:14 pm »
You people made me give it another try. Big mistake. This show could be an essay on how to halfass a book adaptation.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2019, 10:43:20 am »
Any book adaptation is awful if you watch it ready to be critical and disappointed.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2019, 12:11:34 pm »
Finished it now, and overall.... not bad.

Definitely watchable, and actually surprisingly good, all things considered. Plenty of things they could have done better, e.g. the time jumps were WAY too confusing (not for me but for someone who didn't know they're happening and who doesn't know the show etc it'd be HORRIBLE), the CGI was often distractingly bad, some weird casting choices, Ciri-sections were often boring...

But I liked it and looked forward to the episodes, so there's that. Would recommend if you can turn off your "AKSHUALLY" reflex.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2019, 03:17:44 pm »
+2
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2019, 01:33:45 am »
+2
Went in without big expectations, wasn't disappointed. The story is a bit all over the place with the different timelines, unnecessarily so. So not great but not terrible either.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2019, 04:07:00 pm »
Went in without big expectations, wasn't disappointed. The story is a bit all over the place with the different timelines, unnecessarily so. So not great but not terrible either.
ISNT THAT WHAT I FUCKING EXACTLY SAID
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2019, 09:51:33 pm »
I agree with all of this.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2020, 05:30:51 pm »
+2
It was better than I thought, but I thought it'd be unwatchable garbage so there's that. As someone who hasn't read the books nor played the games, it was certainly confusing until episode 3 or 4 where you met the king whose child became that demon as both an adult and kid in the same episode. I didn't even realize there were 3 separate time periods (one for each character), each with their own time skips, because they never aged anyone at all. It's acceptable that Yennefer and Geralt don't noticeably age, but Yennefer even comments on how Jaskier is getting old and has crows feet wrinkles and yet he looks no different than when he first appeared. Same can be said for Ciri's grandma who didn't age at all either. All they had to do was put the year in subtitles at the bottom when you're first introduced to each main character and it woulda solved my main gripe with the show, apart from what everyone seems to agree was subpar casting for certain characters.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2020, 05:29:02 pm »
+2
As a fan of the books I think it was shit, at times almost unwatchable. Trailers were really okay, so I was hoping for something much better.  They have changed the story plenty of times, which in intself isn't bad, but their changes make no sense. Truth be told the whole show doesn't make any sense at times, because it's so weirdly cut up and rushed. Just meh.