Author Topic: Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series  (Read 31080 times)

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix to Produce The Witcher TV Series
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2019, 12:50:18 pm »
Zero chance of that not happening. Agenda completely changed Black Mirror and Stranger Things which were established shows.

By the looks of trailer, Gerralt is support character lol

Yeah, that was a bit weird since wider audience doesn't know shit about anyone but Witcher himself. Though if they want to show in season one how Yennefer became a sorceress that will be quite cool I think. And in the novels the most important character was actually Ciri, not Geralt. He was the main character of original short stories ofc. All in all I liked it.

Also, they were supposed to have Sapkowski as a guide or advisor or something. Sounds more likely that he wanted to change the Nilfgaard look just out of spite, because he got nothing from all the game sales.

Nah, Netlfix and a few people who make this show (Bagiński) announced some time ago that Sapkowski is some sort of advisor, but Sapkowski himself said a lot of times that he knows nothing about making tv shows, so he's gonna have nothing to do with it. He's happy to take money and that's all what he wants.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2019, 05:47:41 pm »
+2
Didn't look anything special to me and after realising the writers are female any expectations I had vanished, those costumes are fucking horrendous and I bet the whole thing is going to be some cuck feminist bullshit, Henry Cavill was quite clearly chosen because he is a handsome gentleman and not because he is going to be a decent Geralt. Fuck this show.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2019, 08:09:59 pm »
Ugh, my fears are coming true, and I'm not even that much of a witcher fan

I hope the show crashes, burns and somebody with actual talent picks it up and recreates it decently in 10 years or something

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2019, 09:01:18 pm »
jennydelherpes?? LOL.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2228
  • Infamy: 966
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2019, 02:32:21 am »
Henry Cavill was quite clearly chosen because he is a handsome gentleman

He can be handsome twice as much he is, does not matter. Dude has zero charisma. Good for modeling and playing hot dudes in soap operas and romantic comedies, terrible choice for any sort of serious role. Couldnt stand him as Superman, nothing changed in the mean time. Mads even tho he is a bit old would be far better choice. But he would suffocate those poor female leads they are trying to put into spotlight. Thats why they picked possibly the worst famous actor they could find nowadays, even Robert Pattinson has greater range of acting. Not to mention he would be better Geralt than Cavill. Basically anyone would make better job at it, even short actors like Tom Cruise or terribly old like Eastwood. This is a set up to make Geralt look terrible.

Yeah, that was a bit weird since wider audience doesn't know shit about anyone but Witcher himself. Though if they want to show in season one how Yennefer became a sorceress that will be quite cool I think. And in the novels the most important character was actually Ciri, not Geralt. He was the main character of original short stories ofc. All in all I liked it.

Only reason why is this being made into a show is Witcher 3, not 2 or even first game. Certainly not because of some books written by Polish author. In that game Geralt is the boss, everything revolves around him. While this may be more book accurate, very few eagerly awaiting this Netflix show give rats ass about the books.

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2019, 03:33:24 pm »
after realising the writers are female any expectations I had vanished

Wut?

Henry Cavill was quite clearly chosen because he is a handsome gentleman and not because he is going to be a decent Geralt. Fuck this show.

I think that he was chosen because he's a big fan of the Witcher games and books and wanted to take part in the series since it was announced. And he's Henry Cavill, not some no-name actor.

He can be handsome twice as much he is, does not matter. Dude has zero charisma. Good for modeling and playing hot dudes in soap operas and romantic comedies, terrible choice for any sort of serious role. Couldnt stand him as Superman, nothing changed in the mean time.

I think he was really okay in Mission: Impossible - Fallout. And I liked him in The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Only reason why is this being made into a show is Witcher 3, not 2 or even first game. Certainly not because of some books written by Polish author. In that game Geralt is the boss, everything revolves around him.

That's ofc true, but they make adaptation of books, not games. So I don't see anything wrong with making other characters more important than they're in the games.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2019, 11:05:17 pm »
Never seen a female writer write a good, strong male character. Which is fair enough. I wouldn't be able to realistically write the inner life of a feminine woman either.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2019, 11:15:32 pm »
Never seen a female writer write a good, strong male character. Which is fair enough. I wouldn't be able to realistically write the inner life of a feminine woman either.

why not hire two writers to get it right

Offline Beleg

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 300
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kapıkulu
  • Game nicks: Beleg
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2019, 01:30:59 am »
which seems to be the case. a pic i saw a while ago consisted of men and women writers.
Oh and its Gnjusoğlu Saracoğlu, you illiterate goat-shagging baklava-eater.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2019, 08:27:00 am »
Because that's not how creative processes work. Writing a character is not like building a house, where everyone contributes equally and the house is better off the more builders there are.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2019, 11:18:03 am »
+1

Hm... Kathryn Bigelow is a director of The Hurt Locker. Though she wasn't a script-writer.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2019, 01:22:18 pm »
Hurt Locker was a solid 8/10 that could be promising

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2019, 12:51:52 am »
Because that's not how creative processes work. Writing a character is not like building a house, where everyone contributes equally and the house is better off the more builders there are.
It worked for the Dragonlance books which were written by Margaret Weiss a woman and Tracy Hickman a man.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2019, 01:40:47 am »
It worked for the Dragonlance books which were written by Margaret Weiss a woman and Tracy Hickman a man.
What do you mean by it "worked for"? There are a lot of movies and shows with writing teams. The Witcher will have a writing team. Two authors is also fairly common for books.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2019, 07:39:27 am »
What do you mean by it "worked for"? There are a lot of movies and shows with writing teams. The Witcher will have a writing team. Two authors is also fairly common for books.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die