Author Topic: Kids becoming dumber  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 734
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Kids becoming dumber
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 01:15:11 am »
You blame kids but look at who raised us? Not saying 100% of blame should be on parent but cmon. Also people are getting stupider because there is no competetion. No real life of death competition. Every large country is more or less peaceful and there hasnt been a real war in over half a decade. Your average person always becomes the lowest common denominator so if nothing forces them to fight to make themselves better then they never will

Your country is pretty much constantly at war with someone and yet it produced you, perfect example of dumb human. So much for your theory.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 01:52:55 am »
Your country is pretty much constantly at war with someone and yet it produced you, perfect example of dumb human. So much for your theory.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I don't really know this cup457 guy, but this made me laugh. :D
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 02:29:29 am »
You blame kids but look at who raised us? Not saying 100% of blame should be on parent but cmon. Also people are getting stupider because there is no competetion. No real life of death competition. Every large country is more or less peaceful and there hasnt been a real war in over half a decade. Your average person always becomes the lowest common denominator so if nothing forces them to fight to make themselves better then they never will
Blame's got nothing to do with whether kids are getting dumber or not.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2015, 05:19:56 am »
Stupid people are blissfully unaware of how stupid they really are..........
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2015, 05:56:41 am »
+1
The main reason why kids today are stupid is the fact that they lack concentration and passion to develop decent skills. Books got nothing to do with it. Reading books does not necessarly increase intelligence. Majority of books do not develop your brain. Only certain books do. I think one could get all the info and general understanding from Wikipedia about WW2 IF and IF one would just concentrate and bother to read a lot about it, instead of reading about a single event or fact. It doesnt matter if you throw a textbook or a smartphone filled with the same info infront of their face, if they dont want to read it and nobody is there to force them to read it, they will not read it and continue to be dumb.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2015, 08:11:17 am »
+2
The main reason why kids today are stupid is the fact that they lack concentration and passion to develop decent skills. Books got nothing to do with it. Reading books does not necessarly increase intelligence. Majority of books do not develop your brain. Only certain books do. I think one could get all the info and general understanding from Wikipedia about WW2 IF and IF one would just concentrate and bother to read a lot about it, instead of reading about a single event or fact. It doesnt matter if you throw a textbook or a smartphone filled with the same info infront of their face, if they dont want to read it and nobody is there to force them to read it, they will not read it and continue to be dumb.

Nah, that's not true. Books, and especially books for very young children that you read to them are very healthy for your brain because you automatically start using your imagination.

Another problem I see today in my surrounding and had some discussions with 'pedagogues' or similar is that small children are constantly being underestimated and not challenged in many ways. For example books, audiobooks and tv and film, everything has to be 'kindgerecht'. Many believe that if you read a book to a small child with complicated prose or difficult wording that it is somehow dangerous for them because you overstrain them. In my experience most small kids (even at the age of 3 or smaller) especially love old and complicated prose, the sound of it alone makes them come sit by you in hordes. The worst thing that can happen is that some kids are bored, no harm done.

Similar to that there was a discussion a few years ago that the books of Astred Lindgren are not appropriate for children or at least should be altered because the word 'friend' is used in them. If you'd argue that it is maybe a good thing that children learn that this word was used in the past and explain to them why it was used and why it is not used anymore the majority (including our education minister) would say that children cannot grasp such a complex thing and so it is better to pretend the word doesn't exist until a certain age. Again I say this is bullshit and we need to stop protecting children from complexity.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2015, 11:52:16 am »
Yes, reading books in your childhood really does have an impact on your intelligence.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2015, 12:45:28 pm »
+1
Every gen thinks the younger one is shit.

And with that this thread should be already done. Or do you believe that old people thought that kids from the 80ies were smart? Or even looked smart?
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

here, have some brilliant metal gear solid 5 camera work instead

have some major adventure time spoiler

also we should set up a nice KaiserRound of Napoleonic Wars soon, that game is hilarious

Offline cup457

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RavenR_cup457
  • IRC nick: cup457
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2015, 04:39:37 pm »
America has not delcared war on anyone since WWII and when i say war I mean a real war. Not foreign "intervention" If we hadn't invaded Vietnam or Korea what would have happened  to us? nothing at all most likely. and why do you say im dumb? I'm most likely 1-2 standard deviations above the mean.
CUP CLAN BEST CLAN
Okay, I need your protection, your love. :P

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2015, 05:01:53 pm »
And with that this thread should be already done. Or do you believe that old people thought that kids from the 80ies were smart? Or even looked smart?
Because looks have nothing to do with anything? Why did "old people" think that "kids from 80s" weren't smart? Can you name the reason? If so, do you think that reason has any credibility? No?

It's like claiming that an asteroid can never hit Earth because religious nuts have been proclaiming the end of the world for so long and nothing has happened. Reverse stupidity is not intelligence.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ikarus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2015, 08:15:35 pm »
+1
Because looks have nothing to do with anything? Why did "old people" think that "kids from 80s" weren't smart? Can you name the reason? If so, do you think that reason has any credibility? No?
Because what I did was generalizing a specific group of people based on a specific part of that group, which yet does not represent the whole group after all.

Generalizing.

It´s like saying
Instead of learning to write properly, they use lol txt chat in Whatsapp as their primary means of communication.

I liked this part the most though
The youngsters these days play CoD: 14 instead of Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear or Baldur's Gate 2.
That´s even better than the old grandpas saying that video games make "these kids" dumb, although they spent their whole life in front of TVs themselfes. Now we got old people claiming that video games back then were smarter than those of today.
(click to show/hide)

Brilliant.

It´s not as if I´d ever compare Doom with Europa Universalis IV or stuff.

Why did you make a thread then when you knew the answer to this topic all along :/
The youngsters have always been stupid through the ages, it´s just the way they´re being stupid that changes.

"Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children."
-George Bernard Shaw
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:24:45 pm by Ikarus »

Offline Ikarus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2015, 08:29:07 pm »
Well, at least he´s not reading "The Sun"
(click to show/hide)

still one of the most successful papers out there, woop dee doo  :rolleyes:

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2015, 09:18:04 pm »
Because what I did was generalizing a specific group of people based on a specific part of that group, which yet does not represent the whole group after all.

Generalizing.

It´s like saying
No, it's nothing like that. You're completely avoiding my question and your answer has nothing to do with anything. Okay, you're generalizing, so what? What is the point of your "generalization"? How is it similar to what I said? I provide a reason for why kids are having a harder time writing properly, you provide nothing but a straw man about old people not liking how 80s people looked.

Why did you make a thread then when you knew the answer to this topic all along :/
The youngsters have always been stupid through the ages, it´s just the way they´re being stupid that changes.
This is argument by assertion and you provide no reasoning to back it up, only circular logic.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2015, 10:05:42 pm »
+1
its the jew controlled media blasting the hidden frequency sound waves into our brains, the signal makes us dumber, stupid and complacent. This is how they control us!

WAKE UP PEOPLE
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Porthos

• Marshall
  • Renown: 779
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • The February Patch Survivor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hello Kitty Clan (aka 'Clan For Fun')
  • Game nicks: Porthos_Woodstock, InvasionOfGiganticLANDCRABS, Random_Nobody, cRPG_Addict and many more
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2015, 12:46:16 am »
+1
I became dumber playing EU1 battle shitlord gankfest mode. Dear devs, pls apply the new map rotation made by Teeth, so some people could play siege (and not conquest) again. Thank you.
<=== thanks to Tiny_Glancer <3 (never click on that image)
I'm not sure if ships are ingame
You Can't Kill Me