Author Topic: Mass Slaughter  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Mass Slaughter
« on: July 25, 2015, 09:08:08 pm »
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Slaughter
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 09:18:25 pm »

Good background music when you watch it. It's the 'Grindavísan', written by a Danish governor to the Faroe Islands in the 1830s to celebrate the killing of whales ('grinde'). The first line says: 'Fresh boys whales to kill, it is our joy'. It has since been a staple in traditional Faroese ring dance.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:12:22 pm by Angantyr »

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:23:02 pm »
+5
Typically meat comes wrapped in these convenient packs in a supermarket, im not sure how they get it, i assume it must be grown on plants or something, but its really delicious.  Hunting, oh no, thats horribly inhumane, i only eat hamburger meat from the store.

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 10:48:22 pm »
Yup, I couldn't agree with you more.  Though I don't eat hamburger meat.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 11:15:01 pm »
+6
Pilot whales aren't endangered. Just pointing that out cause I've seen a whole slew of articles on this subject, and some of them contain blatant lies. Personally I think unless you're a vegan you have no moral leg to stand on calling this "mass slaughter". There's more slaughter on any big fishing port daily, it's just kept safe from your precious dear eyes so you can go and buy pieces of fish wrapped in plastic and pretend it didn't come from a living, breathing creature.

Anyways, I think kids should have to kill, clean and eat at least a chicken once in their life, if they want to continue eating meat. Fish in general are too far removed from humans to elicit the sort of sympathy that entirely urban culture, completely separated from the necessities and realities of nature, combined with constant anthropomorphization of animals, creates for mammalian or at least warm blooded farm animals (Fish don't scream out in pain or panic when you pull them out of the water, bash their brains out with a handy blunt object, or just a concrete floor if that's all that's available, then slit them open to remove the guts)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 11:17:37 pm »
Typically meat comes wrapped in these convenient packs in a supermarket, im not sure how they get it, i assume it must be grown on plants or something, but its really delicious.  Hunting, oh no, thats horribly inhumane, i only eat hamburger meat from the store.

Killing and eating whales and seals is a crime against nature. Unless you are a little tan person who was born and raised in the arctic. You will be increasingly marginalized by white globalized culture until you are kept on a tiny reservation, like a relict population of some ancient beast. But you get to eat cute and sometimes endangered animals. Pretty even trade-off if you ask me.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 11:23:12 pm »
In the case of seals it is usually a literal cull, as in there's so many that natural predators aren't enough to keep the population down. The only reason anyone gives a shit is because seals look cute to western urbanized humans, with their big melty puppy dog eyes and whiskers. If tuna weren't being fished out of existence already and there were so many that yearly culls was the only way to keep population from exploding, no one except the most vociferous and insane PETA vegans would give a shit.

Offline Falka

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 11:48:28 pm »
Personally I think unless you're a vegan you have no moral leg to stand on calling this "mass slaughter".

I'm a hypocrite and I'm fully aware of that.

Anyways, I think kids should have to kill, clean and eat at least a chicken once in their life, if they want to continue eating meat.

Erm, what...

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 11:55:30 pm »
Anyways, I think kids should have to kill, clean and eat at least a chicken once in their life, if they want to continue eating meat.

At what age? I'm pretty convinced that would significantly increase the number of people who become vegetarian out of principle.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 12:04:16 am »
Good. It's better than the whiny hipocrisy. More for the rest of us.

Falka, what do you find soooo shocking about that? Strangely humans have managed to do things like that from very young ages for millenia. Still are, in the vast majority of the planet. They don't watch cartoons about anthropomorphisized rabbits and ducks and chickens and cows, then have meals where meat is consistently present, and completely fail to make the link between the meat on their plate and actual, living breathing animals because their only interactions with them are from at most videos and maybe petting zoos. If you eat meat from an animal you wouldn't personally kill you're a gigantic fucking hypocrite, which you at least admit. Willingly killing an animal to eat it isn't some fucking psycho shit, it's called reality.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 12:06:44 am »
150 whales out of about a million + is hardly a massacre. And I didn't see anything especially brutal about their death. Please rename "This Happens"

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 12:11:55 am »
+2
Yeah, I am always pitching this idea too. I am afraid Kafein is right in that this would probably drive people to vegetarianism, which is why it is a good idea. Killing a chicken or knowing that pilot whales get slaughtered by the dozens should not be a problem for anyone who eats meat. Any detached hypocrites that disagree can go and reduce the strain on the planet, while I enjoy my lovely hand-slaughtered chicken breast.

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 12:27:59 am »
Can somebody please dig out a video of a modern slaughterhouse where cows are processed in unbelievable numbers every day. After seeing this you would feel happy for those wales that they had a live in freedom and a fast death.

Edit: I found some examples (was a quick search so not the best material):
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=16d_1431783596
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=429_1203341293
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:45:50 am by Utrakil »

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 12:38:45 am »
+2
Or go take a look at an industrial chicken farm. It's some of the worst animal cruelty I've seen. I have no problem that we kill animals and eat them, but I think we should at least strive to not torture them and make their lives living hell before doing so. I try to buy ecological meat whenever possible, and luckily ecology is expanding in Denmark (and Sweden) due to state subsidies and supportive consumers and you can get it almost everywhere.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 785
  • Infamy: 2075
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 12:47:51 am »
Pilot whales aren't endangered. Just pointing that out cause I've seen a whole slew of articles on this subject, and some of them contain blatant lies. Personally I think unless you're a vegan you have no moral leg to stand on calling this "mass slaughter". There's more slaughter on any big fishing port daily, it's just kept safe from your precious dear eyes so you can go and buy pieces of fish wrapped in plastic and pretend it didn't come from a living, breathing creature.

Fish ain't mammal. We humans tend to feel for other mammals (whales and dolphins included). Not so much for rest of the fauna.

Edit: Didn't realize you said the same thing in next paragraph.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:54:02 am by Leshma »