Author Topic: Nerf crossbows.  (Read 10249 times)

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
Nerf crossbows.
« on: June 22, 2015, 03:31:30 pm »
+9
Just do something about that crap, there are like 8 xbowmen on eu1, with 30 players. Add power draw requirements to crossbows, or do ANYTHING so it doesn't turn into a fucking sniping simulator. People complain a lot about throwing, but I guess being able to camp and fight well in melee plus having a shield and the ability to wear an armor without a lot of penalties is way more game breaking.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 1408
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf crossbows.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 04:25:01 pm »
+4
Ranged classes need nerf, not just crossbows.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 05:28:48 pm »
+1
Do they really hit that hard? I rarely seem to be bothered with ranged while playing.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 2127
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 05:44:57 pm »
+1
Depends how you look at things. I've been playing a shielder for far too long and still been bothered by ranged. Now I want to go back to my 2H and expected this patch to go into more melee-oriented direction, but sadly they didn't nerf ranged actually it is buffed a little bit.

It is all about perspective actually. If you're Kremlite who gets enjoyment from, well I dunno (not a Kremlite, so unable to understand), then you'll be fine with whatever balance is currently. For someone who actually desired that after 4 or 6 months of strong ranged, we'll go back to "broken" ranged where they did laughable damage and carrying shield wasn't necessary, changes aren't really up to expectations.

If they decide time has come for fully melee oriented gameplay, then I'll be up for some more cRPG. But currently, that's not the case and I've been playing for long time without quality break. This patch was a crossroad for me, to go on a break if things aren't how I want them to be.

tl;dr If you like to shoot people in cRPG, this patch is fine I guess. Nothing epic, because it can always be better for you (one shot kills etc). But if you're after melee gameplay, you won't be pleased with the way this patch turned out because is still reasonably strong, enough to piss you off at times and lower enjoyment you get from playing the mod.

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 05:50:27 pm »
+2
It's not only about hitting hard, it's about having a crap load of options, that ends into something 200% OP. Two simple builds, level 35 (which means that you can try them on your stf):

Strength:21-
Agility:21-
One Handed:82-
Crossbow:151-

Weapon Master:7-
Athletics:7-
Iron Flesh:7-
Shield:4-
Power Strike:7-

On this one, you can put 7 shield and 4 IF instead, it's up to you. Note that you can remove IF for more agi/str and get more PS or athl/wm. Keep in mind this is a level 35 build, and the level 37 counterparts are broken.

You can also abuse of the 0 slot bolts, and be a ranged player while being extremely potent with a melee weapon.

Attribute points:0
Strength:24-
Agility:21-

Two Handed:140-
Crossbow:103-

Weapon Master:7-
Athletics:7-
Iron Flesh:4-
Power Strike:8-

Another level 35 build. Over powered with loomed items, considering you can be really accurate in the range of 20/30 meters, and kill someone in 2 melee hits, while not being penalized by wearing an armor. As I said earlier, just try to guess how op it is on level 37.

The problem is xbows are a jack of all trades, they are point and click, don't require PD, nor skill from the user. They are accurate at 150wpf, and they are quite nice already around 100/120 wpf in you are close of melee fights. As they don't require PD, you get more PS, shield, IF, athl, or whatever, and you get enough wpf to wreck shit in melee.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 05:56:04 pm by Algarn »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 09:22:23 pm »
+9
Imo, out of the 3 ranged classes, crossbows are the least deserving of a nerf.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:58:48 am »
+2
still, due to the ammo nerf, you run out of bolts really quickly nowadays. Even with Arbalest, +3 bolts and careful aiming I often find myself switching to melee and scavenging for bolts

rather nerf throwing, 80% of throws I receive end in headshots. These hitboxes...

In fact, I wouldn´t mind a general range nerf
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:02:27 am by Ikarus »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 05:04:44 pm »
+3
I find crossbows hard to do well with, and i dont get killed by them often enough to consider them op. Archery is slightly easier, still not OP strong. Throwing is quite annoying to fight against, but for the ammo they get, they really arent dealing that much damage.

Dont nerf ranged plx, in a recent patch they were so useless i wouldnt even bother putting up my shield and i would run in a straight line towards most ranged because they dont do shit anyways. Id rather have to consider them a threat, and actually adapt, compared to having basically a melee only server, where the team with less people choosing to play shitty ranged classes wins (this still is actually a thing, unless you are really good at ranged, you wont really make much impact from my experience)
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2036
  • Infamy: 2664
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 05:31:04 pm »
Don't worry. If they wanted to nerf ranged, could it this patch. Devs obviously have no such intentions. Also, xbow was definitely buffed, not sure by how much, but I used to survive headshots, it isn't possible anymore. Good thing, people play siege because battle exp is broken and on siege ranged is mostly useless. At least they played siege yesterday, right now competetive modes seem deserted. Will liven up in few hours I hope. Ranged buff or not, patch or not, cRPG has become four hour mod, game where which is decent populated only for few hours in the evening and night.

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 04:01:23 am »
+4
I think ranged is just becoming more obvious and more annoying/"powerful" because of the lower server populations

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Empire of Palagor
  • Game nicks: Doom_Carrot
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 09:43:13 pm »
+2
Just do something about that crap, there are like 8 xbowmen on eu1, with 30 players. Add power draw requirements to crossbows, or do ANYTHING so it doesn't turn into a fucking sniping simulator. People complain a lot about throwing, but I guess being able to camp and fight well in melee plus having a shield and the ability to wear an armor without a lot of penalties is way more game breaking.
Carry a shield. Problem solved.

Its annoying when 2h spammers complain "Waaaa arrows kill me waaaa they must be unfair..." No. Thats kinda what ranged is for. Its MEANT to be good against 2h spammers. Like I said, wear some armor or carry a shield. Arrows are literally freakin straws in this game lol.  :rolleyes:
It was fun while it lasted.

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 10:55:18 pm »
+1
Its annoying when 2h spammers complain "Waaaa arrows kill me waaaa they must be unfair..."
Its annoying when 2h spammers complain
2h spammers

I'm none of both. And if you look a bit further, you'd learn I've played ranged classes for years, and I regret that now literally everyone is going ranged. This is just not fun when like a third of players in the whole server are ranged. I made the choice to stop being archer for this reason, and I really hate having to do that because of people who are like "OH, ITS KEWL TO PEW PEW ON EU1 XDDDDDDD". You're NA, and you don't know what's happening on EU servers obviously.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 2901
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 12:03:38 am »
+1
Actually, at one point today 90% of server had ranged weapons (many, many hybrid throwers). That didn't stop my pure 2H warrior to finish map first with 5:1 kd ratio, way above anyone else but must say that playing on server with so many ranged isn't enjoyable experience, despite getting many points and kills.

There is something wrong in treating this game as ranged sim, which is what most players seem to do these days.

Sadly, the way classes work in this game the one which makes most sense (shielder) has sub-par mechanic and many disadvantages placed artificially to get shielders in check and stop them from dominating. That is why so many people play 2H/polearms, no one wants to play limited class. And others as their way of protesting against numerous 2H heroes, pick ranged classes.

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 12:20:35 am »
Shielders are fine. There are plenty of really good one handed swords/maces/axes, and the shield bashes are broken. But having lots of ranged players is really bad for the game.

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Empire of Palagor
  • Game nicks: Doom_Carrot
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 03:36:48 am »
+1
Shielders are fine. There are plenty of really good one handed swords/maces/axes, and the shield bashes are broken. But having lots of ranged players is really bad for the game.

Shielders really suck sometimes actually. As I am one with like 7 in shield skill, I can assure you a typical spammer will dominate my ass due to massive reach, crushthroughs with many weapons, and being able to one hit me if I make a little mistake. However I still play it (1) because its fun, and (2) because I like blocking archers then headshotting them with a javelin.

However, I do agree LOTS of ranged gets really annoying with archer faqqotry when they surround you and run away/pew pew from all directions. But that really applies to anything. Too much cav is stupid, too much throwing, too many 1h ninjas, too many 2h hammer weilding juggernauts, you get the point.
It was fun while it lasted.