Author Topic: Ranged issue (nerf throwing in disguise)  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Empire of Palagor
  • Game nicks: Doom_Carrot
Re: Ranged issue (nerf throwing in disguise)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 09:43:58 pm »
Wait, wtf is he talking about.... theres 4 classes...

1. Horse Archery. Absolute shit, can't kill a naked guy with a full quiver.

2. Bows. Very meh, terribly innacurate, and they shoot straws at you. Never been killed by an archer that I can even remember.

3. Xbows. Decent and playable class. The xbow provides a nice alternative to people who don't want to spend all their stats on ranged but like hunkering down to help support the team with ranged fire. Decent damage and decent accuracy, but nothing outrageous.

4. Throwing. My favorite class. Very versatile, and great against all the other ranged classes. Does lots of damage, but they weigh ALOT for their ammo capacity. So having 3 sets of throwing lances is really gonna slow you down in melee. A class to be respected, but certainly not overpowered.

Am I wrong on anything here?

Oh and P.S. -- as a shield/throwing combo build, I can assure you that throwing really isn't that overpowered. I get almost no kills with throwing, I mostly just wound them and make them take cover.
It was fun while it lasted.

Offline Reaktor_Rus

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 09:51:22 pm »
Screw ranged, make a melee only server!

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 11:33:45 pm »
Screw ranged, make a melee only server!

Its called duel, and its where all the 2h spammers congregate... **sudders**

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 11:41:55 pm »
+3
Bows. Very meh, terribly innacurate

wait what?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 11:55:34 pm »
+1
Bows are neither inaccurate nor weak.  I don't know where you get that idea from.  Maybe you've only faced "new" archers with non-'loomed loadouts?  There's quite a bit of difference in power between 'loomed and non-'loomed archery.  As for accuracy; that's down to build and experience.  Players that spend generations as a dedicated archer can be annoyingly accurate even at long range. 

Try going up against an archer like Bynx, Luker or Zlutz on the NA side or Eldar Boss on the EU side (sorry, don't know that many EU archers by name) without a shield and you'll see what I mean. 
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 12:40:34 am »
I have had luker and bynx turn me into a pincsuhion and I still have 1/2 health.

Earlier today, luker headshotted me when I had a barbutte on, and it only took a little notch off my health. GG

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 01:10:16 am »
throwing needs buff, i'm tired of my pt 12 MW jarids failing to kill on a headshot, just dumb

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 02:25:03 am »
throwing needs buff, i'm tired of my pt 12 MW jarids failing to kill on a headshot, just dumb

Meh, I think throwing is quite balanced. They aren't exactly supposed to be 1 hit kills, THAT would be annoying for the poor 2hs.  :(

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 11:04:58 am »
+2
Still supporting throwing nerf, playing pure thrower atm. It is all about trolling people, forcing them to follow you while tossing stuff at them. When you run out of ammo, run around like a chicken in search for more. It is enjoyable in same sadistic way like kiting archery is, but it feels wrong imho. Dedicated class for trolls, nothing more.

Judging a class and all the ppl playing it just by your own experience as a thrower is a very self-centered point of view. And the statement, the class is for trolls only is plain stupid and wrong.

Throwing Damage is high - agreed. But throwing is the ranged class that's got the most penalties.

+High damage
+Dynamic playstyle
+Good VS Cav

-low accuracy
-low ammo
-high weight
-vulnerable against archers
-fucked when ppl start getting shields
-requests high dedication of points

A class is just as good as it's natural enemies are bad.

Throwers seem overpowered because Infantry is crying instead of fighting.

"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 12:19:39 pm »
+1
Having played a lot as thrower recently, I found one problem with them. How quickly one can change between melee mode and throwing mode is not balanced, I'd say. The amount of free hits one can get from this particular (cheesy) tactic is silly. If it was possible to create a delay there, similar length to that of changing weapons, then it would be better, as you'd have to predict more and have high awareness to do well.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 03:43:36 pm »
+1
Having played a lot as thrower recently, I found one problem with them. How quickly one can change between melee mode and throwing mode is not balanced, I'd say. The amount of free hits one can get from this particular (cheesy) tactic is silly. If it was possible to create a delay there, similar length to that of changing weapons, then it would be better, as you'd have to predict more and have high awareness to do well.

NO. I swear to god it takes like 4 seconds after I press "x" for my javelins to turn into polearms. Its absolute bullshit.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »
NO. I swear to god it takes like 4 seconds after I press "x" for my javelins to turn into polearms. Its absolute bullshit.

Then you're doing something wrong. I use javs and lances myself. Hold throw -> x -> instant stab/right swing -> repeat procedure
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 04:00:58 pm »
(click to show/hide)

This, so much this.

The cheesy weapon mode swapping, while very cheesy, i do still like it. I dont play thrower much, but when i did i did try to abuse it a lot. It's fun to have a lot of tricks. Im always prepared for a thrower doing it when im approaching, that way its generally nullified.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1117
  • Infamy: 919
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 04:45:25 pm »
+1

Fin does it all the time. But switching to melee isn't main issue there, problem is insta turn attack most ranged abuse when fighting (many players get killed this way by the likes of Shoky, SeeYa and Melsar).

Don't forget that default switching button leads to throwing weapon not switching to melee, mostly because people miss-click X or are already pressing 3 keys on keyboards that only recognize up to 3 inputs at the same time (most cheap, non gaming keyboards have that limit).

Fin is right about some things he listed, but he's axe thrower and that is, arguably, weakest throwing subclass. Throwing lances are entirely different experience.

Offline Doom_Carrot

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • NO LONGER ACTIVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 04:50:05 pm »
Then you're doing something wrong. I use javs and lances myself. Hold throw -> x -> instant stab/right swing -> repeat procedure

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, I'm gonna practice this today.

But even so, its realistic. If your holding a javelin, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to stab with it instead of throw it.

Fin is right about some things he listed, but he's axe thrower and that is, arguably, weakest throwing subclass. Throwing lances are entirely different experience.

I agree. Throwing axes/hammers really suck.