Author Topic: Is the melee gameplay staying like this?  (Read 3629 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Is the melee gameplay staying like this?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 05:00:49 pm »
Slower movement means people have more time to think about their decisions and encourages people to get closer together before engaging, because once the fight is on you aren't getting backup as easily. Slower swing speed makes blocking easier but it encourages people to really think about which attack type to use and outplay the other guy. With more weapon stun you could still spam and get past people's blocks..the lack of weapon stuns now is causing some of the issues imo.

More survivability means you can make tactical plays like flanking that might just get you recked if you die from a stray hit. It seems now people just try to spam as much as they can before their inevitable quick death. There isn't much tactical play like before imo. Its also fairer for the less "twitchy" gamers - fighting games should be more than who has the fastest reactions, lowest ping or best spam technique

Also the game got harder for the mediocre/noobie players and easier for the better players imo. Any good player will still block really well, but the less decent ones just have to make 1 mistake and they are pretty much dead

Grumbs either you're dumb or you're inexplicably ignorant of even the most basic principles that make M&B combat work.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 05:07:46 pm »
+4
Grumbs either you're dumb or you're inexplicably ignorant of even the most basic principles that make M&B combat work.

Would appreciate more than "i don't agree therefore you're dumb". Care to elaborate a bit?
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jtobiasm

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Tobi
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 05:22:26 pm »
I hope that playing archery is more rewarding, all i got was "fuck your mother" from random russians

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 05:53:16 pm »
Make it more like native, fast weapon swings without artificial limiters (implemented over time in cRPG) but slow movement speed. Fights cannot last forever, we're not talking about duel server. You have like 5-10 seconds to quickly dispose of your opponent before someone else approaches. With slower movement speed it is actually easier to kill people because if they cannot block or their footwork is atrocious, they die. Currently, they can get out of range if they play most popular build which seems to be 15/30 these days.

cRPG gameplay is incredibly dull compared to native servers.

this ^

also, nerf lag, servers are basically unplayable last few months, constant animation skipping
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Kidduis

• Baron
  • Renown: 146
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Kiddius, Fittius, Shittius, Svedjan
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 06:03:33 pm »
+1
Make it more like native, fast weapon swings without artificial limiters (implemented over time in cRPG) but slow movement speed. Fights cannot last forever, we're not talking about duel server. You have like 5-10 seconds to quickly dispose of your opponent before someone else approaches. With slower movement speed it is actually easier to kill people because if they cannot block or their footwork is atrocious, they die. Currently, they can get out of range if they play most popular build which seems to be 15/30 these days.

So you would like to have more 2h players because its hard right, If you whant to have the native combat speed then you would make it even harder for them...

I for one love the cRPG combat system, it is fairly harder compared to native.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:09:57 pm by Kidduis »

Offline Kaoklai

• Tournament Champion
  • Earl
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Free Huey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 08:28:53 pm »
Complaints about spam?  Suggestion to make both attacking and blocking slower?  Desperate plea for more "tactical" gameplay.  Is this thread actually just a parody list of Awful Player ideas? 

Slower swing speed makes blocking easier but it encourages people to really think about which attack type to use and outplay the other guy.

It's like you've never even played the game. 

Offline Kaoklai

• Tournament Champion
  • Earl
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Free Huey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 08:33:29 pm »
You're right, objecting to one person's proposed changes is the same thing as objecting to all change... derp

Offline Ulter

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Duke_Henry_HRE
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2014, 02:07:38 am »
+1
Higher survivability in c-rpg is actually what encourages spam. People can sometimes shrug off a couple of hits, so spamming isn't as risky.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 02:08:23 am »

It's been awhile since I played any native servers, would Viking Conquest be considered native? Because I swear I move 10x faster there than I do in crpg with 7 athletics.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 10:10:36 pm »
Would appreciate more than "i don't agree therefore you're dumb". Care to elaborate a bit?

I don't really feel I need to do that in much detail. It doesn't take much experience in this game to understand that increasing block stun, slowing down attacks or decreasing lethality is dumbing down. You literally encourage spam as the only legit way to get past other people's blocks. It's more of a case of "the things you say are so dumb they make me think you are probably dumb".

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 10:53:23 pm »
+5
I dislike the way Kaoklai interacts with people, but he's got a better model of game mechanics than most players in this game. A lot of what you're seeing here comes from having an incorrect understanding of how the game work. The only way to figure out what 'correct' is involves making predictions and testing them. This is something he does more than just about any NA (who aren't on the balance team) player. I don't play enough EU to make a judgement there.

We had a long period in which to experience the form of gameplay that the OP reportedly wants. It wasn't terrible. It's better for high-ping balance and introducing newer blood into the game, but it does not make for a more challenging game 'akin to Native'.

I like Native well enough to play every other month or so, but it is far from balanced. I suspect people like Native more because the lack of variety in stats makes it more predictable (note how much easier it is to chamber in Native) and, to be honest, the average (not comparing competitive clans/duelists) player in Native is easier to beat. Have you SEEN the Native greatsword stab?

I'm not saying the mod is perfect, just that it is better than Native from an individual balance perspective. I do believe that cRPG leaves much to be desired on the tactical front, but I place a lot of the blame for that on the game's current dominant culture: 'lol wai u try so hard'. It's not that tactics don't work- the few times people try to actually work together, they seem to roll the other team. Then people on the other team leave. I do not doubt that the old hammer-and-anvil would work just as well now as it did in 2011. It's just that you no longer have a couple dozen people willing to try it and coordinate anything of the sort.

Admittedly, buffing support (ranged + cav) would serve to encourage play like that, but it's still a cultural problem at it's core.

Also, mothertruckers, spam is a god damn trick your mind plays on you. It's an easy excuse for your mistakes. The beauty of this game (in melee engagements, at least) is that so much of whether you win or lose comes down to player control. Blaming your losses on spam is a rationalization from someone who doesn't think it's possible to get better than they are. Just like the trend (not as common now) of claiming every other decent player had autoblock.

Now, if there was a limit on blocking or some sort of stamina mechanic, well, you'd have a point. There isn't.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 11:20:53 pm »
+1
lower movement speed a bit and increase attack speed, but also increase WPF penalty for armour +++

although, TBH At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square. so dont bother.
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 12:04:57 am »
I don't really feel I need to do that in much detail. It doesn't take much experience in this game to understand that increasing block stun, slowing down attacks or decreasing lethality is dumbing down. You literally encourage spam as the only legit way to get past other people's blocks. It's more of a case of "the things you say are so dumb they make me think you are probably dumb".

I wonder why the game is such a total spam fest now then compared to before the patch. Before the patch you beat people's blocks by playing better, it wasn't about the speed of your attack but holds, feints, shit like that. Now its more dumbed down because its a case of brute forcing a fight - you win through better reactions and volume of attacks. If you die in a couple hits you might as well try to get a lucky hit in with spam. Also the longer the fight goes on the longer people have to adapt to a fighting style which again results in the better player winning

Also, mothertruckers, spam is a god damn trick your mind plays on you. It's an easy excuse for your mistakes. The beauty of this game (in melee engagements, at least) is that so much of whether you win or lose comes down to player control. Blaming your losses on spam is a rationalization from someone who doesn't think it's possible to get better than they are. Just like the trend (not as common now) of claiming every other decent player had autoblock.

Well I just see an awful lot of average - poor players getting cheap kills they wouldn't get before. There is a skill in some spamming, but it shouldn't be the go-to skill people use imo. The difference is like between a tactical shooter and a quake style twitch shooter. Different types of skills come into it. Muscle memory and reactions should take a back seat to more cerebral fighting styles imo
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:11:13 am by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 12:19:39 am »
+3
Does someone even play cRPG now ? Only thing I see from website is basically 15 to 30 people on EU1/EU2, and something around 5/10 people on DTV. Why can't you decide to move on ?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:59:25 am by Algarn »

Offline Protemus

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 270
  • cRPG Player
  • EZ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan EZ kills
  • Game nicks: niluK_the_Annoying aka EZ
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 12:52:33 am »
+1
I like pancakes with nutella.
Quote from: Melee Gaming
Protemus, You have received a warning for non-relevant posts in ban section also for personal attacks with disgusting insults on the forums. Chill out and enjoy the game. Regards, cRPG Team