Author Topic: Stronghold concern  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
Stronghold concern
« on: December 06, 2014, 03:56:13 pm »
+3
First off, let me start by saying Stronghold sounds like the ideal game-mode, it offers RP, combat, siege, strategical thinking, more persistence and lots of freedom to build the castle you want. My great concern with this mode however, is that I see numerous opportunities for trolls to take advantage of people who want to play the game-mode as intended. How will a team manage to use all the resource points to build one castle instead of 20 different people all wanting their plan to be executed? How will you make sure some *sshole isn't going to deliberately spend all the resources on building five gatehouses next to each other just because he can? The lack of a anti-troll/anti-noob mechanic for artillery and sapping is one of the reasons Napoleonic Wars failed imo. There are pretty much four types of people in NW when you look at sappers and artillery, which in M:BG will be the exact same case. There is the innocent noob who is trying out all the different kinds of props and ammo and this way waisting resources, you can't really get mad with this kid. Then there is the obvious troll who is putting planks up all around just to f*ck with everyone else. Also there is the "pro" who thinks he knows everything, is constantly CAPSing in the chat about how wrong everyone else is placing stuff and destroying all but his creations. Last but not least there are the clan members who, generally speaking, know what they are doing and are just trying to help their team/clan the best they can. in Crpg we have seen similar things with ladder placing back in the day. you might say admins would be able to solve the problem, but with the intended 200 player servers, admins struggle to keep an eye on everything.
I think the Stronghold game-mode is a very good pro for this game and is an important feature to differentiate M:BG from other games alike, but being such a complicated game-mode, which makes it such a great concept, could also become its downfall. I think the press is also aware of this and it might slow promotion and funding down. I don't know if you guys already have solved these kinds of problems for Stronghold, but if you have, sharing them would bring good things I think.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
Re: Stronghold concern
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 04:10:16 pm »
Could have it so each team member gets an equal allowance and can manually select team mates to grant access to it.

Specific team votes would also be helpful - eg. vote to ban someone from operating gates or siege engines if they prove irresponsible. Could be a perma, needing an unban vote to pass, since it would be a lot less restrictive than being banned from the server or from the game.

Offline Harald

• The old
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 04:17:35 pm »
+7
All players will have their own resource inventory, any income is shared amongst all. They can either:

- keep it
- sell it to the bank or another player
- donate it to initiated buildings

Any player can initiate to build something, but in order to actually build it that player needs the required resources in his inventory.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 04:18:49 pm »
Could have it so each team member gets an equal allowance and can manually select team mates to grant access to it.

Specific team votes would also be helpful - eg. vote to ban someone from operating gates or siege engines if they prove irresponsible. Could be a perma, needing an unban vote to pass, since it would be a lot less restrictive than being banned from the server or from the game.
Though it would prevent trolling, doing this would probably only get clanmates or certain people to build every single round, new people should also be given the chance.
good idea, not having them perform specific tasks that are important is great! though voting usually takes a long time and multiple polls before eveyone realises someone's medding up.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline enigmatic_stranger

• King
  • Renown: 1118
  • Infamy: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 04:21:37 pm »
All players will have their own resource inventory, any income is shared amongst all. They can either:

- keep it
- sell it to the bank or another player
- donate it to initiated buildings

Any player can initiate to build something, but in order to actually build it that player needs enough resources in his inventory.
Nice.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 05:28:46 pm »
+4
*cough krems cough*

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 07:02:13 pm »
+4
*cough krems cough*

Only if the game has voice commands and the ability to spam them, if not M:BG will probably be a Krems Free Zone.   :|

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 07:51:01 pm »
+2
voice spammands are pretty much confirmed afaik ;D

But on topic:
I guess the OP concern is valid ... at least the main keep might be pre built or pre framed, so .. a team has to build up at least a premade main stronghold ...
Forward bases then could be built freely ... this might perhaps put the gameplay on the right track .. just an idea

... i guess, all will come down to beta testing tho ... everything can be changed and improved later ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:59:28 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 10:37:27 pm »
Though it would prevent trolling, doing this would probably only get clanmates or certain people to build every single round, new people should also be given the chance.
good idea, not having them perform specific tasks that are important is great! though voting usually takes a long time and multiple polls before eveyone realises someone's medding up.

Well, I think that would only be a problem if a clan is the majority of a team and is full of arseholes. I can see it being annoying having unban polls from known criminals every round, but I think it's a better outcome than just letting them wreak havoc.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 10:47:02 pm »
+3
I'd be terrified as fuck if anti trolling/anti clan douchebaggery measures were put in place in this game.  No Krems means half or more of the player base will disappear.

This is a troll game with a troll community, attempts at seriousness will destroy it

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 11:45:42 pm »
+1
Then give me back my ladderpault. :mrgreen:

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 09:40:36 pm »
What if you can choose, create a faction for yourself, or join a faction.

Only faction leaders can place blueprints, thus, you can build yourself a house, perhaps a tower if you can keep it up long enough.

OR, you can join a faction, and only help build where the faction leaders has placed blueprints.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 11:10:29 pm »
What if you can choose, create a faction for yourself, or join a faction.

Only faction leaders can place blueprints, thus, you can build yourself a house, perhaps a tower if you can keep it up long enough.

OR, you can join a faction, and only help build where the faction leaders has placed blueprints.
Not to bad idea, BUT ...
Would rather like to see faction leader being able to assign lead builder (himself or a member) for overviewing and controling base building (e.g. being the only one able to destroy missplaced things) ... that might reduce missbuilding and trolling, aswell as it would increase freedom and varietiy ... ofcourse it puts responsibility into a players hand, which might lead to social problems ... e.g. if some people disagree with the lead builder, he might get flamed .. which should certainly not be encouraged or supported by the game mechanics ... again, needs testing; maybe it would work out well
As fallback there would still be the option to use (partially)premade build blueprints ...
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 01:15:48 am »
Just noting, the word "blueprint" refers to C19th technology, so it would be an anachronism in this game.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 01:04:39 pm »
It doesn't even have an official name yet.. Drawing, plan? :D I'm sure whatever we did short of delving deep into actual medieval construction and planning methods would be anachronistic. Think I read somewhere there aren't that much info available about planning methods either. Blueprint is very clear for now, especially because the visual mesh you place where you want something is glowing bluish. :)

Micah, yeah, it should of course be expanded upon, but the core idea, that you are free to do what you like, but must deal with the consequences is valid.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.