Author Topic: Bows  (Read 1813 times)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Bows
« on: October 21, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »
+1
"Let's talk about it, let's talk about sex." ~ Salt'n'pepa circa 1990.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Bows stats as of 10/21/2014

The bow is half the price of the rus bow and is basically exactly the same. So that right there should probably change. The differences between them amount to nothing in practice. The main disadvantage the bow has is that it looses out on 2PD potentially but for most builds it's not an issue and the bow wins out. Also the damage out put difference between them when factoring in the extra 28% is low.

I pegged the bow with bodkins at about 19-20 damage against 55 armour. Once you apply the wpf loss to the rus bow build the damage equals out, like almost to the dime. So that fundamentally bones the rus bow as a thing.

Over all the damage output has been made so laughably bad that whether you're a pure build, HA or hybrid melee you aren't going to be doing much of anything. If you run the lighter gear you probably won't even be able to stun people. As in; if it isn't a long bow go home.

Having used my dedicated archer I can see the difference between 6PD and 8PD in relation to the long bow, it helps, a little bit. But then again going off the damage calculator it doesn't help much. Apparently it's supposed to be 2-4 shots on 55 armour with 70 health, but in the real, fake, world shooting into god knows what I've been dropping 10 bodkins into people with a long bow and having them keep chugging along and take a couple hits to go down after that. It's not very... good.

----

Currently my battle plan is to faff about avoiding getting hit from behind and then once the battle heats up I go back to hanging around waiting for people to get beat up and then, just then, I sit around and wait a little longer. Once people are all smooshed up I start shooting.

The build is 24/21 and it's laser accurate, like stupid levels of accurate. The reticle closes down completely. The issue with the build is that I have no ath at all and so often find it hard to even get to the battle front in one piece. I do have IF though, so I could probably crutch some armour :/

Over all I see the issues with bows being they are don't offer much damage potential and they are too damn accurate with current builds. It's just stupid how accurate they are.

So if your going to work on making them a more entertaining part of the game, make them shoot like drunken sailors and hit like battleships.

That is all

Frank

PS everyone with any archery experience, especially lots of time pre patch, please chime in.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Bows
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:59:23 am »
Bow does seem better when the accuracy is overall much higher now. I dunno, I like accuracy being pretty high, but I'm not much of an archer, lol.

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:28:46 am »
+3
Thank you Frank, well said.

Kesh has been raging in the patch notes thread, but I don't know if it's helping our cause.

My thoughts:

Costs are now too prohibitive given we are "forced" to use high-tier bows and bodkins to be effective:

(click to show/hide)

I am now a less effective archer at 34/35 than I was at level 30 pre-patch - this cannot be said of any melee class post-patch:

(click to show/hide)

I am confused over whether high agi, or high str give better damage.

Damage has been sacrificed for accuracy (?) - The accuracy now achieved is way beyond what I would expect as an archer. I'd gladly trade it back for some damage.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:31:42 am »
Complete derail because tbh, fuck archers, I was archer for 16 gens I can officially say its for cockmunching toesniffers:

Nice song, talk about memory trip.
I don't know enough

Offline Primo

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • non dvcor, dvco
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
  • Faction: Acre, VeraCruz
  • Game nicks: KotSA, Primo, Colleone
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 06:46:23 am »
+1
Definitely there's a lack of damage, as a 2h that gets shot a lot, i can take up to 4 or 5 arrows with no life risk at all, and about like 3 in the head.

Overall, archers are getting smarter btw, they are now shooting people that doenst wear a shield  :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:52:01 am by MtPrimo »

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 01:55:33 pm »
+2
I feel like that took things in the wrong direction, increasing accuracy but decreasing power. Again i'm not an archer so these are just my half-baked musings, but i'd always seen archery as a volley or crowd control class, not a sniping one. I'd always hoped for high damage, but not pinpoint accurate performance to simulate this and the role of archers on the battlefield.

But i appreciate that for gameplay archers probably want the pinpoint accuracy to make counter-strike style satisfaction and consider it more 'skill-based', the offset of high accuracy should be low damage and vice versa.

I might be alone in saying this but as a HA and with foot archer that I use often as well I want power and less accuracy. I don't want to snipe like a toffty bum on a hill.

How I envisage both foot and HA is like this.

1. Mob control - At a distance if a bunch of people rolling around with out shields all group together the half aimed carnage from the sky breaks up their formation or forces them to seek cover behind shielders.
2. Mob control support - a lone player being gang banged can get a bit of tactical help by having an archer fire into the flanks of the group that's attacking him forcing them to break for cover or risk getting a pounding. Current meta game of this with both HA and foot is to shoot super close to your own guy hopefully stunning someone taking a swing or opening up someone that's blocking.
3. I want risk reward. I don't want to be able to cruise around like some kind of roving gun plate form with laser accurate shots, I want to have to get up close and dangers and drop shots in point black to deliver some pretty hard hitting damage.

Currently I've got 90 wpf and it's pin point accurate when I stop riding around, while I'm riding around it's a little bit better than native MP HA. Which is just silly imo.

If I was setting the specs for the bows I'd start by taking accuracy and putting it down as low as 80 and then bring it up from there. Also knock missile speed back a little and force people to really compensate and think about their shots, that will boost the skill needed. Currently you just put the guy in the middle of the pin point reticle and pop him in the head. The only reason I'm not landing 80%+ is my lag and even then, when people are dancing with only 90 wpf and 3 HA I will pretty much hit the vast bulk of my shots when people are not dancing all over the place.

If you guys could patch say once every two days I'm sure I could round up a test squad of archers that would help this process along a whole bunch. We can start with accuracy and then move onto power that way the community will get to see us start shooting like retards and then slowly feel the pain :twisted:

----

After doing un-scientific testing Phantom I find the best approach is to balance it out. Any more than 8PD and the wpf drop eats into the power.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:02:30 pm by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:27:36 pm »
+2
After doing un-scientific testing Phantom I find the best approach is to balance it out. Any more than 8PD and the wpf drop eats into the power.

Thanks Frank :). I'm currently 21/21 was going to go 24/21 maybe - now definitely not. I'll be staying 21/21 or trying 21/24 instead.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:55:41 pm »
+1
#put the arch back in archery 2014!

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 02:49:24 am »
If you want pinpoint accuracy and sniping like cs:go - thats what the arbalest is for with its high shoot speed.  Archery never was meant for that, its a class for those of us not in the cs:go wannabe crowd that like a challenge with tougher accuracy but decent damage.  Damage over excessive accuracy any day of the week.  There is a great but different degree of skill in using less accurate weaponry.  Timing and situational awareness play larger part.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 03:06:20 am »
Thanks Frank :). I'm currently 21/21 was going to go 24/21 maybe - now definitely not. I'll be staying 21/21 or trying 21/24 instead.

Also Go for 6-7 ath. Don't bother with too much, you don't need more than people, maybe even 5 might be enough.

I say this because I find that the new tactic is the old tactic aka #ditch&run

It can be a bit of an adventure tossing your shit on the ground and running for it. I had an amusing one happen on EU1 where I manage to run all the way over to the other teams set up point on one of the maps and got to an archer that had been killed, looted his MW gear and got back to the pewpew.

If you want pinpoint accuracy and sniping like cs:go - thats what the arbalest is for with its high shoot speed.  Archery never was meant for that, its a class for those of us not in the cs:go wannabe crowd that like a challenge with tougher accuracy but decent damage.  Damage over excessive accuracy any day of the week.  There is a great but different degree of skill in using less accurate weaponry.  Timing and situational awareness play larger part.

It pretty much looks like everyone that uses a bow with any level of enjoyment and lets just say "seriousness" is in agreement.

Give us back our damage and for the love of god take away our accuracy and missile speed!!! I want to ride into a crowed screaming bloody murder and letting rip with the hail mary's.

Fammi un pompino!

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 03:08:14 am »
+1

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 05:39:12 am »
+1
I like than an item balancer downvoted your post.
I chimed in here, Frank.
Seems like something needs to happen.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:24:09 pm »
I like than an item balancer downvoted your post.
I chimed in here, Frank.
Seems like something needs to happen.
Because form the very first assertion it was clear that he judges things by appearances(the bow comparison).

The bow is half the price of the rus bow and is basically exactly the same. So that right there should probably change. The differences between them amount to nothing in practice. The main disadvantage the bow has is that it looses out on 2PD potentially but for most builds it's not an issue and the bow wins out. Also the damage out put difference between them when factoring in the extra 28% is low.

I pegged the bow with bodkins at about 19-20 damage against 55 armour. Once you apply the wpf loss to the rus bow build the damage equals out, like almost to the dime. So that fundamentally bones the rus bow as a thing.
The Nomad and Tatar Bows have less effective differences than the Bow and the Rus Bow, by far, not to mention the Tatar costing three times as much. The difference in accuracy between the Rus and the Bow is equal to that of about 4 WM (52 wpf worth). The higher your wpf, the less of an inhibition the inaccuracy is, but that directly speaks to the Bow's lesser potential (what gold is supposed to reflect).

Some people complained about not being able to handle upkeep for archery if they wanted a build that could actually deal damage (they weren't satisfied by non Rus or Long Bow damage). Since the Bow wasn't being used, ever, there was no reason not to make it a poor man's Rus Bow.

As to the effects of the addition pd when accounting for the wpf penalty, that's just not true, especially if the lower str character is getting penalized by weight. I'm not sure what calc you're looking at, but unless you think it's fine to describe a 15%-20% damage difference with "equals out", that's simply not true. You made a mistake somewhere in your comparison, and it has negatively affected your perception of balance, as well as spread misinformation.

This is why I gave his post a -1. I know he means well, but you can't make statements like the above, if you're going to be off by so much.

I'm not saying we can't change the Bow's stats, but his reasoning fails from step one. We should change both the Tatar and Nomad for being too similar to the Horn bow if that's the case.

If you want pinpoint accuracy and sniping like cs:go - thats what the arbalest is for with its high shoot speed.  Archery never was meant for that,
According to who? Why does it have to be that way? Have you used crossbows recently? They aren't pinpoint accurate. They also have lower effective projectile speed than most bows.

its a class for those of us not in the cs:go wannabe crowd that like a challenge with tougher accuracy but decent damage.  Damage over excessive accuracy any day of the week.
Inaccuracy relates to an increase in RNG within the context of warband. There is no precision offset, it's just center screen aiming unlike the CS bullet spread algorithms. It's fine if you want lower accuracy for higher damage, but that's pretty much what the Long Bow is to, well, all the other bows. What you make this sound like, is wanting to have increased damage and high mobility, while only having to sacrifice accuracy, aka exactly what I made the Bow when last I changed it.

There is a great but different degree of skill in using less accurate weaponry.  Timing and situational awareness play larger part.
You'll have to help me on this one. Exactly how do you correlate necessity of timing and situational awareness with "less accurate weaponry." See, the thing is, when you reduce projectile spread (read: RNG), you allow for skill to develop, as you then create something that can be learned, overcome and utilized. Higher amounts of RNG has long since been argued against in the e-sports video game scene, precisely for the reasons stated earlier. Inaccuracy and RNG are just that, random. Sure, adaptation is a skill, but in this setting that's something that is coming into play after being subject to said randomness. Whereas a lower RNG driven system creates skill from the first step, and bring adaptation as a skill onto the scene as a reaction to your own mistakes. One grants the player control, the other takes it away.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:45:54 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:30:46 am »
+1
I was using this http://alpha-lider19.ru/MB/?go=archercalc and plugging in the relevant information by using bows that kicked up the same stats as what is currently available.

Does anyone have the formulas available in a clear format? I've not been able to find them.

All of my thinking is based on what I've experienced in game and what that calculator punches out.

Is there anyway to turn on the damage reporter in game? Because I'm going off "live" tests where I just pick someone on the other team and chase them around for a few rounds seeing how many times I need to hit them before I do some damage or kill them.

I know I'm getting hit with the HA penalty and using my long bow archer it's quiet a different "bow" experience so perhaps I should have just stuck to a HA thread but it seems to me that the biggest problem stems from there. Followed by that 15 point cap. The reason I say followed by is because it seems to me that most of them I'm not getting close to even hitting that cap with 6PD and a horn bow.

----

I also agree that the nomad and tartar sit right on top of each other and do pretty much the same damn thing. I pointed to the bow vs rus for no other reason than to get the conversation going. I should have mentioned the difference between the nomad and tartar which is even more slight.

My testing shows that 4WM is = to 100 wpf when starting from 1 wpf. I don't understand what you mean by the difference in accuracy between the bow & rus bow being about 54 wpf worth. My experience (18str 6PD 130 wpf) has been that both bows perform identically when it comes to accuracy. I was unable to tell the difference, I did those tests on the Australian server with a friend so latency wasn't at all an issue.

Because form the very first assertion it was clear that he judges things by appearances(the bow comparison).

I thought I was basing my statements off testing and the information I had at my disposal via the calculator.

The differences between them amount to nothing in practice. The main disadvantage the bow has is that it looses out on 2PD potentially but for most builds it's not an issue and the bow wins out.

I should have followed that with "If you are going to go to 10PD and max damage then it only makes sense to use the long bow". For 8PD builds there isn't any reason to use the Rus Bow, it's either the Bow or the Long Bow. Also the weapon speed and missile speed are more useful than the 4 accuracy given how easy it is to ratchet wpf, but like I said I found no noticeable difference between the bow and rus bow with a 6PD 130 wpf build, call me blind I just didn't see it.

I don't judge things by their appearance alone. I also care about their personalty and how good they are in bed.

I don't think that the bows should be a linear progression of "This one is better than this one because it costs more and has a slight increase in damage" and I don't think you guys do either.

I'd love to see the nomad and tartar bows being the primary bows for HA and having two pretty different roles. One being more of a close range shot gun and the other a more accurate less powerful hunting bow. Even have the same 3k price tag but offer different experiences and different tactics.

Much in the same way their are categories of weapon in 1h/2h/pole that are all with in a couple hundred gold of each other but offer totally different experiences Tow Handed War Axe/Mace/Bardiche.

Either way it's become apparent that HA is now boned, excessively so. It's not a learning curve factor issue either. There needs to be a middle ground where HA is playable and not the scorn of every half wit playing the mod.

I made a brand new bow today just so we could do extensive testing with Drakanis.  The class seems unplayably bad now, particularly at what I think the class is least gay and most useful at doing, killing other cavalry.  He shot one of our chargers like 5 times and it was only at 90% health.  I saw him shoot an agility build player many, many times to no avail on multiple occasions, as well. 

I actually think the slowdown was a fantastic stand-alone nerf and I would be totally fine if HA never did good damage to infantry again.  However, them being shitty at bringing down really good cav players who are otherwise pretty untouchable really hurts the game in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:26:11 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 05:06:47 pm »
Don't use that calculator, it's grossly outdated, use this which has been updated by San.

I'm not familiar with any archer builds that get only 4WM (not to mention less) so it should be guaranteed that everyone already has passed the extreme initial scaling WM has.

I have been testing both the Long and Rus Bows at 10PD. What I have found, is that both are equally effective, or nearly so. If I had to give one the edge, I'd probably grant that edge to the Rus, not the Long Bow. This is due to increased accuracy, increased projectile speed and increased shoot speed. Regardless of the Long Bow doing a good 15-20% more damage to some targets, the Rus is just that much more versatile.

I have to disagree with your assessment on how bows are a linear progression of increases in effectiveness. True, for many bows there is a pattern of incremental changes from one to the next, but those don't necessarily result in clear effectiveness gains. Likely there is some correlation, as that's partially the intention, but each bow has its own purpose and objective (with the Nomad and Tatar sharing the same).

There isn't really much room for variety among bow stats. Not with how TaleWorlds coded Warband and the necessity of having both the Rus and Long bow maintain competitive accuracy (especially the Rus). We can reduce accuracy of the 1-4 slot bows, perhaps the horn as well (I have yet to do any tests with the Horn/Yumi/Tatar/Nomad, but they can at no point deal more damage than the 2s bows, nor can they receive a projectile speed buff. Sure, a damage increase is on the table, but it's not going to be very large unless further reduce the differences between bows.

You're not going to see those to bows as the primary HA bows. The Yumi will always be designed to be the best HA bow (you can expect the ha penalties to change, but I wouldn't expect to gain a high degree of effectiveness back). Furthermore, because we want to dissuade players from choosing that playstyle, upkeep will remain a balancing factor (thus the cheapest bows shouldn't be the best).

Wanting to have high variation in bows in great, it's something to strive for. Unfortunately there just isn't much that can be created without making some bows severely under/overpowered. "Shotgun" playstyles aren't something we want to reward, either. They're extremely gimmicky, skill irrelevant and fun thieving playstyles. There's zero net gain to the mod's overall enjoyment by having more of them (the players choosing those builds might gain more enjoyment, but every single person who dies to them gets severely frustrated). Again, perceptions matter, whether or not it's "balanced" is aside from the point.

For all the reasons stated in the past. HA(horse ranged) will henceforth remain, intentionally, the least effective class in this mod. There is very likely room for buffs from where they are now, but everyone needs to keep the previous statement in mind.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:10:26 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character