Author Topic: 0.4.0.0 - The patch of destiny  (Read 76327 times)

Offline Chosen1

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 1016
  • cRPG Player
  • din do nuffin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Castile
  • Game nicks: Chosen1, Matteo, El_Cid
Re: 0.4.0.0 - The patch of destiny
« Reply #390 on: October 27, 2014, 01:49:50 am »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:55:44 am by Chosen1 »
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings cmp, I would feel pretty bad too if I was a useless no life virgin who spent his adulthood making video games LOL
its ok though, now i have more time to - all the posters i dont like
But I wrote a poem that I would like you all to read
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #391 on: October 27, 2014, 05:09:02 am »
+1
10 arrows in a bag, infinite arrows all over the place ranged can pick up

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #392 on: October 27, 2014, 06:40:19 am »
+2
I mean what. the. fuck. Only 10 arrows in a stack of bodkins and they weight 8 kg... twice as heavy as the heaviest 2h sword in the game (the Flamberge). I mean what the flying fuck what were you thinking? I would like to know where you are getting these psychedelic drugs that made you think nerfing archery this badly was a good idea. I don't even play ranged at all and even I can tell how dumb this patch is now.

This is a medieval warfare game, not a 2h/polearm lightsaber duel sim. Archery is in the game for a reason, to be able to pick off melee and being able to support the team from distance. Now, anyone with a cookie-cutter STR build can take a dozen hits from an archer and be able to run him down and kill him, without any use of tactics or thinking whatsoever. It doesn't matter if ranged is "low-risk", that's the point of it; ranged should be able to kill people just as well as two-handers can.

I hate Kesh, and I think he's the worst nerd to ever play this shitty mod, but he's right. You fucked up Tydeus. I thought your earlier changes were ok. But changing the game like this to fit your own ideal of what the game should be like is just downright absurd and self-centered.

I actually +1ed Chosen.  One thing the whole community can bring the whole community together again is they agree on this - Tydeus is a self-centered douchebag who wouldn't know balance if it was a giant black dick slapping him in the face, even if that is his usual sunday hobby.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #393 on: October 27, 2014, 10:13:57 am »
+4
I am preeeeetty sure that more people agree on you being a giant asshole than Tydeus being a douche.

So much for "bring the community together"... :lol:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline matt2507

• King
  • Renown: 1013
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • It is when making anything that we become anyone.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Raylin The_Village_Idiot Mohamed_Ali
« Reply #394 on: October 27, 2014, 02:18:50 pm »
+1
Added a delay of swing after the shieldblock?

I have the same feeling.

No donkeys were harmed in the making of this gif.

Offline xxkaliboyx

• Earl
  • Renown: 318
  • Infamy: 104
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deserter_Merrrrrica
« Reply #395 on: October 27, 2014, 05:03:33 pm »
+3
The end of times has come to crpg! This is the first of seven signs of Crpg doomsday!

I actually +1ed Chosen.  One thing the whole community can bring the whole community together again is they agree on this - Tydeus is a self-centered douchebag who wouldn't know balance if it was a giant black dick slapping him in the face, even if that is his usual sunday hobby.
Deserter_Merrrrrica

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #396 on: October 27, 2014, 06:02:00 pm »
+2
Yeah San actually asked the community what would make sense for archery.  Was wondering what you might think of these two possibilities:
Quote from a less read thread:

Thank you San for the well -thought out post.  Reading an intelligent discussion rather than some guy's "gut feel" for archery based mostly on a day of trying different bows is such a welcome relief and promotes an actual intelligent discussion on the accurate situation we are placed in.

I would like to propose two different possibilities.

First,  make the lower tier bows near same damage with high-tier but with MUCH worse accuracy - basically the strings are not as strong and so the arrows don't fly as true.  Long range shots would just be a waste of ammo usually unless shooting into a crowd.  The reason why do it this way is that 1) varying the damage too much among the various bows creates  a lot more possibilities for broken min-max builds and imbalances and 2) shoot speed has a lot of secondary side-effects that wreck the usability of bows or create unforeseen side-effects (decreased damage, massively increased drop in arrows so arc effects, lobbing over shield walls etc.) (also why when last time shoot speed was heavily nerfed it was reverted back rather quickly and many of the low -tier bows were actually given increased shoot speed later to actually make them viable). 

The effect of this would be for low tier bows a lot of close to mid range shots using strong intuition of opponents' movements and a primary purpose of crowd control (shooting into massed up groups), whereas the higher tier bows would do slightly more damage, mostly due to higher powerdraw and serve their role as long range firing but with 2 slots being limited in either ammo or melee weapon, requiring a stronger focus on dedicated archer build.  (Think of longbow as a strong wood and sinew weapon that shoots the arrows straighter and more true to aim).  But the higher accuracy also comes with slower draw speed (and i would also consider changing weights of bows to make the biggest bows closer to flamberge weight further reducing kiting - you are serving as an accurate long-range high-damage weapon with limited mobility requiring stronger team support.  Kiting by low tier bow users would also be significantly reduced because the low accuracy makes single unit targetting much harder making a single  melee chaser have a much easier time dodging their arrows and therefore forcing melee combat.  Mid-tier bows would possibly be a balance between the two but with enough lower accuracy compared to longbow, rus bow, bow (the 3 two slot bows) to not become the OP weapons of choice for archers, but rather a selective class weapon like for the few remaining ha who don't need quite as much accuracy but need the slightly higher damage.

The second possibility is this.   Make lowest tier bows extremely heavy but also have the highest accuracy rankings (not as realistic as 1st possibility).  They would be the go to item for high agility archers still with the highest accuracy with these bows providing a good use of wpf allowing the headshots needed for extra damage, but between the weight of ammo and the bow their hyper mobility will be significantly reduced.  The high strength archers would still use the higher tier bows to make good use of their powerdraw (since would have wasted PD points with the lowest tier bows), but with the lower accuracy it would be more a high damage crowd damager as no amount of wpf would be able to counter the significantly reduced accuracy.

I prefer the 1st possibility.  But whichever way you go you need to realize roles are very important especially when it comes to how they play out on strategus.  Xbowers are the selective snipers.  Archers need at least some part of their class serve their main purpose - crowd control.  Can't emphasize this enough.  Archers main purpose is crowd control in the end as massed shield walls and masssed charges they damage and kill and break up formations, forcing greater dispersal or else guaranteeing countless hits by massed archers.  Secondary role is strong anti-ranged counter which is where having some bows with good accuracy kicks in.  Playing on battle server is only about 1/3rd of the equation when trying to understand archery's role in game - archery is an incredibly weak class in general that gains (and should gain) most of its strength in coordinated group play, ala strategus and banner stacks.

I just wanted to say, thank you san for asking questions of the community and actually listening and giving well-thought out posts.  Makes those of us in the community who still care about the game want to reply in kind.  You are a good item balancer (I wish very much you were the head one).
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Spanish

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 106
  • 2h Cav Star of the year award winner.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The official Drama Llama of Knights_Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Spaniard, BowPersona, Span
« Reply #397 on: October 27, 2014, 06:29:44 pm »
Why didnt you just quote it so I could see who wrote it kesh
My horse is named pebbles and we like to try.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #398 on: October 27, 2014, 08:55:43 pm »
+1
How to balance archery
Make all archery 1 hit kill, but you have to enter a captcha everytime you want to shoot.  If you enter it wrong, you die.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline andreakarasho

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • MEMENTO AVDERE SEMPER
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _ReaL_DeaL_ - Macrone_Legionarivs
« Reply #399 on: October 27, 2014, 10:01:46 pm »
I have the same feeling.

I hope that it is a bug...

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #400 on: October 27, 2014, 10:45:23 pm »
I hope that it is a bug...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2014, 12:19:55 am »
not sure what conditions are for this but I pulled a hierloom out of armoury and I only see "reforge".

found it on STF char inventory page

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2014, 01:04:31 am »
+1
Why didnt you just quote it so I could see who wrote it kesh

Quote came from the thread I started which is now under Balance Discussion.
That's Kesh's quote which can be found at the bottom of page 8, and here's my response.

(click to show/hide)

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2014, 03:00:55 am »
Erm "fixing" archery in any meaningful way, if your aim is to avoid kiting, is not possible by weight: drop my bow and arrows and run off is still viable
I don't know enough

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #404 on: October 28, 2014, 04:28:36 am »
Erm "fixing" archery in any meaningful way, if your aim is to avoid kiting, is not possible by weight: drop my bow and arrows and run off is still viable

This is true.
An idea was brought up earlier in the thread that athletics be capped if a character had points in PD.
Unfortunately, it apparently isn't possible to do this as it would affect everyone:

We did the athletics cap thing before, actually. It was a dynamic cap that shik made and it lasted for about a day. The problem with it, is that it affects all builds, not just the agility focused ones and the effects are larger than simply adding weight which can more easily have its effect reduced(dropping your bow). It goes back to wanting to maintain a high degree of player choice and customization, something we saw many players concerned with due to the previous horse requirement increases.