Author Topic: English proficiency index  (Read 5888 times)

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: English proficiency index
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2014, 12:56:01 pm »
+3
being european I can safely say europeans are majority racist, ignorant and overall bad compared to americans.
you won't find an american willing to say that about america.

Offline NejStark

• Marshall
  • Renown: 918
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
    • Personal wesbite
  • Game nicks: GK_NejStark, Anything with "Nej" in it.
  • IRC nick: itsnej
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2014, 12:57:17 pm »
As an English person who has been to 12 of the top 17, I'd say: Netherlands should be one higher. Singapore should be way WAY higher!

edit: thats just from my own experience though.
"A man on the steppe with no friends is as narrow as a finger; a man with friends is as wide as the steppe"

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:20 pm »
English proficiency index - it's supposed to be the world's largest ranking of English skills. And has some weird numbers, Poland better than Belgium and Germany, RUssia better than Italy. Ruskies speak english?

From working in an English language school for foreign students for a while in Brighton I can safely say that Russian English skills were far ahead of the Italians and Spanish. I'm surprised Spain ranks so highly. The main issue I found with the Russians was that they were much quieter in comparison.

The Norwegian students were always by far the most fluent. I also worked with around 200 Polish guys in a warehouse for a few months and their English was excellent, despite many of them not having been here long.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2014, 01:15:34 pm »
being european I can safely say europeans are majority racist, ignorant and overall bad compared to americans.

Really? You wont find lets say an atheist NY-er saying bible belt is racist, ignorant and bad?

You will find holier than thou syndrome in any country in the world. It is not exclusive to one area

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:02 pm »
+1
Yes, out of 300 million Americans, not a single one will say that. Guaranteed by BADPLAYER, you can take that to the bank.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »
+2
Were's England? I looked all other 'Moderate', 'Low' and 'Very Low'...

Same. Guess its so bad they didn't even place.

Whenever I see this kinda list I laugh and think about people I know from where I'm from, speaking English "*awful hawking noise*ELLO, WELCUM TUH EXPAIN"

What would happen if I tell you I'm gypsy?

I am too, and rather than making us bond, that knowledge makes me trust you less.

One my fav. jokes: Gypsy buys new car, crusing home proud as you like, BRANDNEWCARMAN.jpeg, blows a tire.

He gets out, jacks the car up, gets the tire off. Just then a second gypsy comes running up and puts a brick through the car window;

"WTF R U DOIN?!" Explodes first gyppo.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:25:21 pm by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

Offline Chosen1

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 1016
  • cRPG Player
  • din do nuffin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Castile
  • Game nicks: Chosen1, Matteo, El_Cid
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2014, 02:56:25 pm »
English as lingua franca is the legacy of centuries of the British Empire. Yes, American history is short but the last 60 years is a historical footnote.

No, Deutsch used to be the language of the educated world until after the second world war. Only after WW2 did English become the international language

Yes how useful to speak only one language

I actually speak three
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings cmp, I would feel pretty bad too if I was a useless no life virgin who spent his adulthood making video games LOL
its ok though, now i have more time to - all the posters i dont like
But I wrote a poem that I would like you all to read

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2014, 07:28:16 pm »
+1
German was never a lingua franca, sorry. Except for ~5 years over Europe only. Can you guess when this was?
And fucking americans of all people calling europeans racist, HAH. You fuckers pretty much still operate on the paper bag test for "race". You still record and identify "race" in national statistics. Practically every single american city is heavily segregated based on "race". In fact, you fuckers are OBSESSED with race. And you're so ridiculously ethnocentric you project your own (unique, extremely fucked up, divisive, hateful) perceptions of racial relations to the rest of the entire planet, no matter how innapropriate and flawed it is. Sorry, US=/=entire world, I know it's hard to understand.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2014, 08:41:13 pm »

And that proves... what exactly?

Offline Chosen1

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 1016
  • cRPG Player
  • din do nuffin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Castile
  • Game nicks: Chosen1, Matteo, El_Cid
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2014, 09:37:18 pm »
German was never a lingua franca, sorry. Except for ~5 years over Europe only. Can you guess when this was?
And fucking americans of all people calling europeans racist, HAH. You fuckers pretty much still operate on the paper bag test for "race". You still record and identify "race" in national statistics. Practically every single american city is heavily segregated based on "race". In fact, you fuckers are OBSESSED with race. And you're so ridiculously ethnocentric you project your own (unique, extremely fucked up, divisive, hateful) perceptions of racial relations to the rest of the entire planet, no matter how innapropriate and flawed it is. Sorry, US=/=entire world, I know it's hard to understand.

I would be pretty mad too if I didn't live in the greatest country in the world.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings cmp, I would feel pretty bad too if I was a useless no life virgin who spent his adulthood making video games LOL
its ok though, now i have more time to - all the posters i dont like
But I wrote a poem that I would like you all to read

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2014, 09:13:54 am »
From working in an English language school for foreign students for a while in Brighton I can safely say that Russian English skills were far ahead of the Italians and Spanish. I'm surprised Spain ranks so highly. The main issue I found with the Russians was that they were much quieter in comparison.

The Norwegian students were always by far the most fluent. I also worked with around 200 Polish guys in a warehouse for a few months and their English was excellent, despite many of them not having been here long.

I believe that's due to their mother languages. Spanish makes it very hard to learn new languages because there are extremely few sounds in Spanish. Most of them have huge problems learning the pronunciation of another language. Japanese has the same problem. On the contrary, Russian has a very large variety of sounds and Russians usually have fewer difficulties with foreign languages.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:36 am »
I believe that's due to their mother languages. Spanish makes it very hard to learn new languages because there are extremely few sounds in Spanish. Most of them have huge problems learning the pronunciation of another language. Japanese has the same problem. On the contrary, Russian has a very large variety of sounds and Russians usually have fewer difficulties with foreign languages.
Do you have any sources for this or is this just your own thinking?

Because Russians tend to be the worst at English, even on this forum there's only a couple of Russians with decent English. From my experience, the Japanese have spoken English relatively well.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2014, 09:34:12 am »
Do you have any sources for this or is this just your own thinking?

Because Russians tend to be the worst at English, even on this forum there's only a couple of Russians with decent English. From my experience, the Japanese have spoken English relatively well.

Many Russians don't write English well for several reasons. The first one is the alphabet, the second one is because you can live your whole life in Russia speaking Russian and nothing else. However, those that do learn English usually don't struggle with pronunciation. On the opposite end, Japanese is one of the languages with the lowest sound variety. I'm not really convinced about the Japanese speaking English well. Anyway yes, this is mostly conjecture and my own experience of Spanish speakers. Ultimately I believe the reasons why people from different countries have different proficiency in English is largely due to the local culture/nationalism. In France, English is perceived by many people (and first of all the Académie Française) as a threat to French.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2014, 10:59:00 am »
Many Russians don't write English well for several reasons. The first one is the alphabet, the second one is because you can live your whole life in Russia speaking Russian and nothing else. However, those that do learn English usually don't struggle with pronunciation. On the opposite end, Japanese is one of the languages with the lowest sound variety. I'm not really convinced about the Japanese speaking English well. Anyway yes, this is mostly conjecture and my own experience of Spanish speakers. Ultimately I believe the reasons why people from different countries have different proficiency in English is largely due to the local culture/nationalism. In France, English is perceived by many people (and first of all the Académie Française) as a threat to French.
Pronunciation is a separate issue, though. I'm assuming Overdriven wasn't simply talking about that, but general English skills, such as grammar. But yes, Russians do tend to have better pronunciation (what kind of a fucking word is that, anyway? Pronounce->pronunciation, makes no sense) than Italians and the Spanish.

Young well-educated Chinese and Japanese do often have surprisingly good English.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2014, 12:51:38 pm »
+1
Pronunciation is a separate issue, though. I'm assuming Overdriven wasn't simply talking about that, but general English skills, such as grammar. But yes, Russians do tend to have better pronunciation (what kind of a fucking word is that, anyway? Pronounce->pronunciation, makes no sense) than Italians and the Spanish.

Young well-educated Chinese and Japanese do often have surprisingly good English.

This is bullshit

Source: Years of DOTA