Author Topic: poleaxe  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
Re: poleaxe
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 11:47:03 am »
If both players stand still, yes. If they don't the poleaxe user has a massive advantage because his stab is only marginally shorter while at the same time must quicker to reach full extension.

I disagree

I don't think I've ever outstabbed a longsworder with my poleaxe.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »
+1
If a longsword gets outclassed in speed by a poleaxe the wielder is doing something wrong, probably positioning, weapon stun or low sensitivity.

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 03:12:44 pm »
+1
If you try to outreach any 2h stab with right pole swing you would have a lot of enjoyment, because if you do it right you almost never fail. And yes i'm also talking about danish GS and alike, though it's much easier with LS or Bastards. You can also do it with 1h arabrightswing but that's another story.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 03:26:59 pm »
Polearms are by a huge margin the best weapons, and poleaxe amongst the best of the polearms. I see no reason to QQ tho: Poleaxe should be best weapon, it was pinnacle of european melee weapon technology. It really is the best and its ingame abilities reflect that: you get to rear horses, outrange 2handers, knockdown, give pike support, spam everyone. It's best because it really IS best. End of thread.
I don't know enough

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 05:52:06 pm »
Polearms are by a huge margin the best weapons, and poleaxe amongst the best of the polearms. I see no reason to QQ tho: Poleaxe should be best weapon, it was pinnacle of european melee weapon technology. It really is the best and its ingame abilities reflect that: you get to rear horses, outrange 2handers, knockdown, give pike support, spam everyone. It's best because it really IS best. End of thread.
:lol:
(click to show/hide)

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 07:34:54 pm »
+4

Depends on what you call outstabbing. In a realistic combat situation you have to take stab speed into account, not only stab length, because both players move. The poleaxe has a massive advantage here. High speed means you have the power to wait for your opponent's move and react accordingly.

On top of that, the poleaxe has more stab damage than the longsword which, considering heavy-ish armor, reduces the effective range of the longsword more than that of the poleaxe.

I think that's a good argument for expensive poleaxes, but I'd rather see its rendition changed to something less horribly spammy. Also, Glaive, GLA and GLB should definitely be unbalanced and slow as hell, I don't think there's even a debate about that.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 10:46:47 am »
I'd rather fight someone who has a poleaxe than Longsword. You have to get very close to make it reliable, and do more with the mouse so it doesn't glance up close, then you might thrust stun yourself by being at that distance. Its also pretty predictable and so easier to block. With a longsword the 2 hand animations are much more tricky to read especially if you're mixing in the stab animation, which you can release with less risk

Polestab is definitely the worst stab atm. The only thing it has going for it is rearing horses, and some longer poles in group fights. But even then i'd rather use something shorter, even to rear horses. Much rather have a Long Bardiche and just use the stab to rear then swing to kill the horse and for general fighting. Having a bit more stab damage with a Poleaxe just isn't worth it imo. I'd rather stab with a 1 hander if its against players
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 12:24:09 pm »
+1
With a longsword the 2 hand animations are much more tricky to read

For me it's the opposite. I have much harder time fighting Poleaxe than two-handers. Polearm animations look choppy, while 2H is smooth making it much easier to read it imo. Ofc there are some good feinters that do some crazy moves, but most of those can do similar stuff with polearms as well.

Polearm stab is a bit worse than 2H, but the damage is high enough to compensate for that. All the other animations on the other hand are among the best and easily as good as the 2H counterparts. Especially the overbuffed overhead.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 04:08:01 pm »
+1
Polearm stab is the strongest stab animation at close range. Facehug stabbing with a war spear is easier than with a KAS, even though the KAS is 48cm shorter.

I'd rather stab with a 1 hander if its against players

I'd like you to do that, really.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »
+6
Whenever I see a Poleaxe user, I just say to myself "thank god he's not using a Long Axe". Long Axe right swing and overheads are so fast they barely render an animation on the screen.

Longsword seems downright sluggish compared to the faster polearms lately.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 08:14:37 pm »
+3
I think that's a good argument for expensive poleaxes, but I'd rather see its rendition changed to something less horribly spammy. Also, Glaive, GLA and GLB should definitely be unbalanced and slow as hell, I don't think there's even a debate about that.

Well, apparantly poles have been too weak if we look at recent changes. Also the removal of unbalanced tag on long hafted knobbed. I don't think there is any chance of glaive and its ilk being labelled unbalanced. The price reflects this if I'm honest, since a glaive in reality is pretty cheap to make in comparison with a greatsword or a poleaxe, but was not a great weapon in a close fight. In crpg we have the opposite. Quite expensive weapon that is great in all situations.

Whenever I see a Poleaxe user, I just say to myself "thank god he's not using a Long Axe". Long Axe right swing and overheads are so fast they barely render an animation on the screen.

Longsword seems downright sluggish compared to the faster polearms lately.

So true, all straight bladed 2handers are easy to fight against compared to stuff like long axe, their speed is now ridiculous. Many here seem to confuse the weapons abilities with the users abilities and fear longsword just because it is being used usually by guys who have extensive experience and high WPF.
I don't know enough

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 06:20:09 pm »
+2
I'd like to see polearm animations tweaked again tbh, smoother and less jumpy.
If I get the time I'll try to make some examples.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 06:38:57 am »
In other words, yes a 94 speed poleaxe will often hit before a 99 longsword, all other things being equal, no matter how ridiculous that may sound.
Only at very close range.

Edit: and only for the right swing*
I disagree
Provide proof. I've already explained the animations, sweet spot mechanics, and how it is that only at close range is the polearm right swing able to hit for full damage sooner than any other swing, several times in the past. If you can actually manage to provide proof, I have no issues adjusting the animation to fix the problem (if possible.)
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 09:22:45 am »
+1
Provide proof. I've already explained the animations, sweet spot mechanics, and how it is that only at close range is the polearm right swing able to hit for full damage sooner than any other swing, several times in the past. If you can actually manage to provide proof, I have no issues adjusting the animation to fix the problem (if possible.)

Providing proof would require substantial video evidence due to the difficulty of creating an isolated environment showcasing the problem, and I don't have the time and resources necessary to provide that. You wouldn't be receptive anyway if you believe all is fine already. The perception that polearm animations are skipping frames and jerky in general is widespread, even more so when it comes to overheads (yet I have no way to prove this statement).

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 03:15:21 pm »
Providing proof would require substantial video evidence due to the difficulty of creating an isolated environment showcasing the problem, and I don't have the time and resources necessary to provide that. You wouldn't be receptive anyway if you believe all is fine already. The perception that polearm animations are skipping frames and jerky in general is widespread, even more so when it comes to overheads (yet I have no way to prove this statement).
Except that I DO believe there is a problem, just not the one you're implying. The polearm overhead is certainly fast, but I'm not sure that it's in need of tweaking though. I don't see this jerkiness people talk about, instead I see lag, packet loss, height advantages and close proximity, all of which can cause poles to hit sooner.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character