Author Topic: Battle Commanders: What classes would you like to see more of?  (Read 993 times)

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
+4
I've been applying as a mercenary in a lot of battles lately and they've been the most enjoyable part of this mod for me.  Forget NA_1 this is what I've really started to enjoy because believe it or not, they're more fun for me, and seeing different gear and tactics has been fun.  It's not just the same crap all the time.

With that said, I wanted to get a feel for what is missing from battle, so I can spec up my hero for battle.  From what I can gather, there have been a lack of shields in the battles I've been in, and I can play a decent shielder.  I am frequently employed as a guard during battles with Frisia and it works well.  That's just me though, anybody else have some input.  I am a mercenary here to serve commanders, what do they want?

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Commanders: What classes would you like to see more of?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:44:24 am »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Noodlenrice

• Count
  • Renown: 280
  • Infamy: 44
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Black Bastards
  • Game nicks: Noodlenrice

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 02:37:34 pm »
If the 13k goes into battle we would want something like:

20% archers
5%crossbows
45% shielders(1h or hoplite)
20% polearms
10% 2h

At the moment our mercs are lower in most categories except that we have plenty of 2 handers, also, possibly more polearms than shielders on an open map.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:38:47 pm »
Cannot say what classes are needed for every battle.

It always depends on the battle itself. The setting, what kind of battle it is, who the enemy is etc.

In Sieges on the defence side many archers are insanely effective, while on the attacking side you need many shielders and 2hs.

In field battles Polearms and Shielders are the most effective, followed closely by 2hs. Archers are good as well, but if the enemy has a decent amount of shielders they are not very efficient.

That all is if you neglect the actual setting. Some castles need more X while other castles need more of Y or Z.

All in all the only advise I can give you is that you should play whatever is the most fun for you. That way you will do well and people will hire you more often.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:21:34 pm »
+1
I honestly think shielder is a pretty desirable class. You can be good at field battles, sieges, and villages, and you can join shieldwalls. The second most necessary is either polearm or archers (both to fight cav or just support melee with their huge attack range).

Normally most commanders just hire people they think are good, so I recommend playing one class that you find fun (for me it was 1h cav) repeatedly until you understand the footwork, animations, and capabilities of that class by instinct. Don't worry about learning every class, more or less once you master one of them you become significantly better at all of them.

Offline Chosen1

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 1016
  • cRPG Player
  • din do nuffin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Castile
  • Game nicks: Chosen1, Matteo, El_Cid
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »
I honestly think shielder is a pretty desirable class. You can be good at field battles, sieges, and villages, and you can join shieldwalls. The second most necessary is either polearm or archers (both to fight cav or just support melee with their huge attack range).

Normally most commanders just hire people they think are good, so I recommend playing one class that you find fun (for me it was 1h cav) repeatedly until you understand the footwork, animations, and capabilities of that class by instinct. Don't worry about learning every class, more or less once you master one of them you become significantly better at all of them.

What??? Daruvian is actually capable of making good, well-thought out posts?
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings cmp, I would feel pretty bad too if I was a useless no life virgin who spent his adulthood making video games LOL
its ok though, now i have more time to - all the posters i dont like
But I wrote a poem that I would like you all to read

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:15:11 pm »
+1
i have a soft spot for noobs

if i werent a full blooded frisian bundle of sticks i would have made a clan with the sole purpose of helping noobs in NA a long time ago

Offline Fearvich

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Frisian Freedom
  • Game nicks: Feervich, Omeso, Fearvic, Vich.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:11:31 pm »
I'm no commander, but I think I shield-wall full of men with throwing axes would be devastating to the oppositions shield-wall, opening them up to archer fire as well.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:13 pm »
+1
Surprisingly throwers are by far most useful in castle sieges. They can throw down ladders or through corridors and its very hard for people to dodge them. They're just rare in Strategus because you're never sure if people will actually take the time to buy good thrower gear, so people don't like to spec in it so they don't have to show up to battles with no gear.

Offline Lemon

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 190
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Lemon Company
  • Game nicks: #Free Lemon 2012
  • IRC nick: Lemon
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 10:38:29 pm »
Yeah, nothing is more deadly than a group of throwers pelting lances down a corridor into groups of enemies.
Lemon Luther King JR, has a dream, where all trolls are treated with fairness and equality. Lemon's want to be able to vote, and ride in the front of the bus, and drink from the same fountain that we do. Please right this inequality

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 11:43:47 pm »
My Main right now is a shielder, because it's suits me and me reflex speed.  I may put some throwing in there, might be fun!  If not I'll go back to my basic shielder, it sounds like there are a lot more 2H heroes out there, and I think I'm a better shield bro anyway.

Thanks for the help guys

<3 Daruvian and Frisia

FRISIAN PRIDE!