Author Topic: Long Time Myth, need some answers..  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
Long Time Myth, need some answers..
« on: July 25, 2014, 04:25:28 am »
So, I recently got to wondering..

Every so often you'll hear what I've always considered to be a myth about if you have a shield sheathed it reduces damage to your back/body from the body armor addition. Some people say only projectiles, some say it's all types of damage. Also, there is a dispute as to whether it covers just back-side damage, or all sides from damage?

The reason I ask, is I have 2 additional slots in my build going unused, and it seems like it might be worth it to loom a Hide Covered Round Shield +3 just to wear on my back, if it does in fact give you more body armor or cover.

Please give me factual answers! Thanks a ton.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
Re: Long Time Myth, need some answers..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:17:52 am »
+3
Backside (and not all of it)
Projectiles only
if hit_shield_on_back:
armor += shield_resistance + 10

Stuff I have no idea about:
Does steel buckler/round steel buckler still give the bonus (it goes on your hip)? If they do, on what hitbox?
Does shield size matter?
Which shield does it count if you have multiple shields on your back?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:42:08 pm by Huscarlton_Banks »

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:55:17 pm »
Stuff I have no idea about:
Does steel buckler/round steel buckler still give the bonus (it goes on your hip)? If they do, on what hitbox?

I asked this in the last version of the thread and never got an answer. I will be using a buckler again soon, so if anyone knows I'd be thankful for the info.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 04:11:52 pm »
the body armor addition.

There is no such thing as body armor on shields. They have just renamed the Resistance number. I recently heard from someone that they considered shields OP because of the additional armor, and it kinda freaked me out: how long have people thought that shields added armor to your body? They dont and never have.

This said, on your back a shield reduces projectile damage, I doubt the nunbers are as simple as Huscarlton states, there was a time when backshields halved the incoming projectile damage (same mechanic as teamhits) and I never read that it was changed.
I don't know enough

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 05:54:57 pm »
I put my shield on my back and backpedal toward archers sometimes for lolz (98 back armor according to Huscarton's formula). Tatar arrows that hit the shield often glance, but bodkins still do a bit of damage. It definitely works.

Sauce played for years with a Round Cavalry Shield on his back while using a polearm, so there is precedent. As long as having a shield on your back doesn't preclude polearm thrusts from hitting people through walls, your playstyle should only be enhanced.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:19:54 pm by Phew »

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:44:58 pm »
There is no such thing as body armor on shields. They have just renamed the Resistance number. I recently heard from someone that they considered shields OP because of the additional armor, and it kinda freaked me out: how long have people thought that shields added armor to your body? They dont and never have.

This said, on your back a shield reduces projectile damage, I doubt the nunbers are as simple as Huscarlton states, there was a time when backshields halved the incoming projectile damage (same mechanic as teamhits) and I never read that it was changed.

Whoops, found the exact formula.

It still is simple, it's just that I incorrectly put a 1/2 factor on the shield resistance.

Still only applies to projectiles.

Quote from: cmpxchg8b
f hit_shield_on_back:
   armor += shield_resistance + 10

Your foot speed will be slightly slowed by the shield weight, and shields can a bit obstructive to one's view, but other than that it doesn't have any penalties. (wpf only affected by real armor)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:23:10 pm by Huscarlton_Banks »

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:18:44 pm »
And bucklers don't have this effect.

So next time you play, put a hide covered round shield on you back for extra 30+ body armor. Or don't because it's damn ugly.

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 04:33:47 pm »
Would any of the long board shields cover a greater area of your back than, say, a round shield? Crossbowmen used said shields so that they could reload with their back turned to whoever was shooting them so that their shield would block incoming projectiles. Some shields were even planted on the ground in front of a crossbowman to act as movable cover.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 05:31:50 pm »
Would any of the long board shields cover a greater area of your back than, say, a round shield? Crossbowmen used said shields so that they could reload with their back turned to whoever was shooting them so that their shield would block incoming projectiles. Some shields were even planted on the ground in front of a crossbowman to act as movable cover.

No. The shield model has no effect on the coverage. Shield only effects the body armor between the belt line a the neck. Anything below or above will hit like normal even though it's covered by a board shield.

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 07:08:59 pm »
+1
No. The shield model has no effect on the coverage. Shield only effects the body armor between the belt line a the neck. Anything below or above will hit like normal even though it's covered by a board shield.

It'd be cool if it did, tho.

chadz pls read

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 05:22:40 am »
So I basically need to buy a buckler purely for the armor and wear it on my back at all times, gotcha.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 04:09:25 pm »
+1
So I basically need to buy a buckler purely for the armor and wear it on my back at all times, gotcha.

A+ reading comprehension

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 04:12:06 pm »
+1

If I could wear a buckler on my head I would, shit is insanely strong.
I don't know enough

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 06:22:58 pm »
If I could wear a buckler on my head I would, shit is insanely strong.

I don't have a pic of this for the round buckler, but if you hold an uppercut (down directional punch) with a steel buckler/round steel buckler you can see just how awesome they would be as a hat. Or a platter to serve food on.

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 03:12:36 am »
Its the shields resistance rating(armor) + 10 to your armor. It works on projectiles AND (this has been tested) it works on the great lance and practice lance, as they are calculated as projectiles for damage(why you are able to hit the rider,kill him, and still die by the lance)

Here is the thread i made about it and recorded the arrows reducing damage if you want to see to believe.

http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/small-archer-ranged-counter/msg1039240/#msg1039240
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.