Poll

Does horse archery require a nerf?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Horse archery is too strong  (Read 28514 times)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Horse archery is too strong
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2014, 05:04:34 pm »
This seems pretty true. Sometimes I get the impression that throwing behaves more like archery should than archery itself.

Looks like a traditional rus-bow or long-bow (i know its saying longbow but i doubt it tbh.). His shooting angle (when releasing) isnt that wide is it? 137 meters seem pretty far

Offline Spleen

• Earl
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • But I am already in my pyjamas...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spleen
  • IRC nick: Spleeno
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2014, 05:09:08 pm »
+4
just play native if you think crpg arrows fly straight. its basically star wars over there
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2014, 05:12:58 pm »
Do you realize archery was with the mankind since basically "always"?. In war conflicts, the bow wasnt the best method to fight. It wasnt as effective. That is why mankind actually started using close range weapons. Bows werent enough to kill other persons so they invented melee weapons and got closer. The fact melee weapons outclassed ranged weapons in the prehistory, that tells you that archer never been the most effective way to kill a person in a conflict. And please, dont compare rifles to bows coz that is  very silly. Ranged is the safest, not always the most effective. Dont confuse things. IF it was so effective, people could have used bows as we use rifles today, as a main weapon for everyone.

Bow>crossbow>(gunpowder)>firearms. It is a projectile fired from a mechanic device developed to increase the trust/speed of the projectile. The device evolves into what we have today: Firearms. Everything else was scrapped because: It BECAME the most effective. In cRPG we are playing right on the crossline period-wise with bows and crossbows and where gun-powder was invented >> followed by fire-arms as we know them. In this period i think its pretty safe to say that crossbows were generally regarded as if not the most effective then one of the elite units. Just a question about when and how to phase out the melee soldier.

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2014, 05:15:12 pm »
just play native if you think crpg arrows fly straight. its basically star wars over there

but on the other hand, every infantry can carry a shield.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2014, 05:26:17 pm »
Personally, I find the cheaper bows to be more effective than the yumi.

Switched recently to the khergit/nomad/strong bows, significantly easier to counter foot ranged now.
Faster draw rate, faster shoot speed, similar damage
I find I'm able to get into the top 3 in the scoreboard far more easily now, compared to when I use my MW yumi (lvl 34 HA).

It just appears that the yumi is OP as there aren't many good HA's playing with the cheaper bows.
There are some really good strong bow HA users in Seljuks for example.

Personally, I'd like to see what I mentioned before, with a shoot speed nerf to the cheaper bows.
Maybe some tweaks to the yumi, like 2 slot or accuracy nerf.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2014, 05:28:38 pm »
but on the other hand, every infantry can carry a shield.

Well, they are all forced with a build that includes shields. In crpg there is the option to skip it. All infantry can carry a shield in crpg though with 0 slots.

Archery is dumb in this game. Horse archery is just dumb on a horse. The problem is how this game manages the whole ranged thing. Arrows in this game fly for too long and too flat. You have to give a really big angle in a real life bow to hit anything past 10 meters, In this game the arrow is almost in a flat trayectory for most of its travel, that makes it unrealisitc and to easy to aim and hit.

Having arrows drop significantly more than they do now would be a nice change i think.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2014, 05:34:52 pm »
+1
Bow>crossbow>(gunpowder)>firearms. It is a projectile fired from a mechanic device developed to increase the trust/speed of the projectile. The device evolves into what we have today: Firearms. Everything else was scrapped because: It BECAME the most effective. In cRPG we are playing right on the crossline period-wise with bows and crossbows and where gun-powder was invented >> followed by fire-arms as we know them. In this period i think its pretty safe to say that crossbows were generally regarded as if not the most effective then one of the elite units. Just a question about when and how to phase out the melee soldier.
Still not comparable. Rifles and derivates are the only thing that certainly outclassed and replaced any other kind of close ranged weapon. But it was the contrary before. Being close range weapons the most useful and bows and similars just  an "auxiliar" weapon. IF it wasnt like that, they would be just using bows until recently. Humans will always fight from a distance if posible. The fact they got so close tells you bows actually werent as good to kill people as people think they were. And hey, the bow isnt the only ranged weapon used in ancient times. You simplify it too much. Oh and also fail to see how the bow and xbow werent used tactically like firearms were. So tehy arent really comparable. Firearms actually brough a revolution in how wars were fought. Changed it all. No other weapon until it did that before. So again, no comparable.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:39:09 pm by Trikipum »
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2014, 05:36:19 pm »
+3
Your reasoning sucks.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2014, 05:36:52 pm »
All range is depending on ammo. OOA and you are buttfucked.

Yeah, like Kurin and others mention, hit them on the Achilles heel where it hurt, hit them on the ammo count.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2014, 05:37:44 pm »

Looks like a traditional rus-bow or long-bow (i know its saying longbow but i doubt it tbh.). His shooting angle (when releasing) isnt that wide is it? 137 meters seem pretty far
Ive seen longer shots and sure, hitting something from 150 meters is posible. But hitting something like that while that thing is moving, in a split a second, for full damage, that is another story. In this game all bows shoot too flat I would say, being the long ones the less unrealistic (of course). And as you can see, the arrow reached the target with so low energy it wasnt enough to get it stuck in the cheap ass wooden table....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:45:09 pm by Trikipum »
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2014, 05:38:17 pm »
You simplify it too much.

also...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2014, 05:41:44 pm »

also...

(click to show/hide)
Gameplay is that i get hit from 200 meters and lose half my hp even if in rl that arrow would likely just bounce?. Even reality makes more sense in a "gameplay" way of thinking. If not, just tell me how this improves it?. How this makes it balanced?. That guy can hit me from 200 meters for loads of damage that is just plain silly, at the same time i have to get 1 meter from him and slash him 2 or 3 times with my sword. Tell me how that mechanic improves gameplay please coz i dont see it.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2014, 05:45:33 pm »
This is a shield. There is many like it but this one is mine. I call it Sharleen

(no spoiler intended)

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2014, 05:49:17 pm »

(no spoiler intended)
Im not sure i understand you. I will guess you mean "use a shield". And that is right. But you know, they actually improved armors so peopled didnt even need to carry an shield. Oh and, why they would force me to carry something that doesnt makes really sense?. It makes no sense carrying a shield to stop arrows coming from 200 meters if you are wearing full armor, simple as that

Offline phnxhdsn

• Earl
  • Renown: 355
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium / Vanguard / DMG
  • Game nicks: Phoenix, Mangudai
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2014, 05:52:14 pm »
+1
i've even started playing HA again recently in hope that people complain so it gets nerfed, the power in it is that it is almost completely risk free, yet yields as much score as playing other classes, if not even more.
which with other classes you will die much earlier on in the rounds because people can actually attack you.