Author Topic: Revert right 1h swing change.  (Read 2534 times)

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
Revert right 1h swing change.
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:53:19 am »
+12
How many people feel the same?

I disagree with the change.  It has messed everything up for me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Life

• Marshall
  • Renown: 763
  • Infamy: 281
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mod is dead.
  • Game nicks: Assassin_Life, Efil, iK_Life
Re: Revert right 1h swing change.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 06:54:02 am »
+4
I like it. i feel like i glance less or hit the head of my target more.
Assassin Video
My custom crosshair

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:02:16 am »
I like it. i feel like i glance less or hit the head of my target more.

It is a direct nerf to my play style.  The range is reduced.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:09:28 am »
+2
I'm skeptical that the reach was nerfed.

A few quick images I took for Tydeus' right swing vs native's (I don't have the first tweaked right swing from Tydeus, but I'll assume the reach is the same as native's). Since the player's position is constant, you can see the difference in reach by looking at the shadow. It's easy to see how far off to the side it reaches by looking at the number of boxes down, and reach by looking at the number of boxes it reaches forward. Slightly longer than 3 boxes still outreaches pretty much every swing and is close to 1h stab/2h overhead.

Frames didn't align, so this was as close as I could get. This doesn't take into account any animation blending and other possible effects that could alter distance by a few cm, but at least it's something. I might do some in-game reach tests tomorrow evening just to be sure. To be honest, native's right swing also looked awkard, so now it's just another kind of awkward we have to deal with. I think performance-wise it's better (maybe too much better) with the same reach.

(click to show/hide)

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:07:22 am »
It is better in close range.  I do not disagree with that. 

But you know how I play with the long range pokes.  It does not feel at all the same.

Offline Admiral Ballsack

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
  • Weewoo
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boners
  • Game nicks: l33tplayer, KbW Aflack, Admiral_Ballsack, PS_Bob
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 11:39:16 pm »
It is better in close range.  I do not disagree with that. 

But you know how I play with the long range pokes.  It does not feel at all the same.

I feel the same way, S-Keying with the new swing does no justice and glances more often it feels.

I only used that swing when I skeyed to outrange the enemy.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 01:15:09 am »
That seems like something that would have to be done with WSE(so it won't happen), since native functionality is to use the same exact animation for 1hers, regardless of the presence of a shield. I don't know of a trigger that I could use, to tell the character to use the appropriate release animation.

I added the .brf to a .rar file so it can be downloaded easier. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24876970/cRPG%20Stuff/anim_tydeus_nudges.rar. Just replace the anim_tydeus_nudges.brf found inside your warband/modules/crpg/resources/ folder, with the one inside the .rar.

See if the edited version works for you. The current right swing looks odd, especially when warband tries to blend the animation while you're moving; from what I notice in-game, however, my right swing lands just the same as the old one. I do think the diagonal slice may cause one to miss in some situations and it is slightly faster, but I still don't believe the reach is shorter.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 01:25:41 am »
+1
It doesn't seem to have reduced range to me. I'm also a mostly shieldless warhammer user, so when the fuck am I going to outrange someone with a right swing, when a dagger guy is coming at me?

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 08:34:34 am »
Now that I got used to it I think it's fine. Still odd-looking, but otherwise fine.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 09:04:46 am »
I felt that with longer 1h weps like the high end swords I still got caught on walls/players despite feeling like shorter reach. With axes/maces/daggers it just feels like a faster right swing and lets you spam left & right more smoothly. When I am doing some fancy footwork with my knife, I can spin freely right or left, where before I had to do figure 8s turning left only or else I would get beaten to the swing.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 09:52:03 am »
I'm skeptical that the reach was nerfed.

A few quick images I took for Tydeus' right swing vs native's (I don't have the first tweaked right swing from Tydeus, but I'll assume the reach is the same as native's). Since the player's position is constant, you can see the difference in reach by looking at the shadow. It's easy to see how far off to the side it reaches by looking at the number of boxes down, and reach by looking at the number of boxes it reaches forward. Slightly longer than 3 boxes still outreaches pretty much every swing and is close to 1h stab/2h overhead.

Frames didn't align, so this was as close as I could get. This doesn't take into account any animation blending and other possible effects that could alter distance by a few cm, but at least it's something. I might do some in-game reach tests tomorrow evening just to be sure. To be honest, native's right swing also looked awkard, so now it's just another kind of awkward we have to deal with. I think performance-wise it's better (maybe too much better) with the same reach.

(click to show/hide)
Range is reduced. Since the swing is angled horizontally now,effective reach of the sword is fucked up. Play with a long 1h like ACS on foot, you'll see that your swings go on top of the head of 2handers who aim at your feet. They simply bow their heads to dodge your awkwardly high aimed swing.
I dunno what was the intention of this change but it nerfed long 1handers bigtime while buffing short 1handers heavily since right swing does not glance now. 1hander class doesn't need an alternative to leftswing though, it's the best animation to deal damage to the head at close distance, right swing was a good poke now 1handers are even more defenceless against backpedaller bundle of stickss.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 10:47:30 am »
why was it changed?

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:30 am »
why was it changed?
Because fuck you and all other 1handers, that's why.

Offline bavvoz

• Earl
  • Renown: 323
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bavvo
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 11:11:06 am »
Im trying to endure until it get reverted (plz say it will)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 04:40:05 pm »
Range is reduced. Since the swing is angled horizontally now,effective reach of the sword is fucked up. Play with a long 1h like ACS on foot, you'll see that your swings go on top of the head of 2handers who aim at your feet. They simply bow their heads to dodge your awkwardly high aimed swing.
I dunno what was the intention of this change but it nerfed long 1handers bigtime while buffing short 1handers heavily since right swing does not glance now. 1hander class doesn't need an alternative to leftswing though, it's the best animation to deal damage to the head at close distance, right swing was a good poke now 1handers are even more defenceless against backpedaller bundle of stickss.

Mmh, maybe you are right, I didn't think about people duking below the swing. It's not like it happens all that often though.