Author Topic: Hoplite Advice  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
Re: Hoplite Advice
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 01:50:06 am »
15/21

Grab short spear, a stabby spammy sword and a brown lion heater shield

Then enjoy the spam

You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 01:02:19 pm »
Thanks again i didn't think of that!!

I use

Mw war spear
Plate covered round shield
Mw military hammer
The hammer is quite slow but was wanting to get a spathovaklion but not sure wether to consider a 1h cut + pierce damage weapon as you say
Just not sure what to get

I could easily get a mw military pick or something

Which 1h weps would you suggest then?

Thanks

Spathovaklion is the best onehander for most builds. Go and get one!
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 08:27:46 am »
+2
Do a generation without a sidearm, after that you can pick one up if you like. Helps you know when you really need to pull it out as opposed to taking it every 1v1 and spending less time using your spear.

War spear is too short versus other spears.

Spend more time attacking then you spend blocking. The more you attack, the less you block. The less you block, the longer your shield lasts.

Common shield doctrine: If you have a shield and you get hit, you are doing it wrong. Mentally review how you got hit and how you can avoid it next time. Mistakes are bad and if you get hit with your shield unbroken you most likely made one. Despite the above tip, you are a defensive class and you do not want to die. Dying is bad.

Don't try an kill people, try and stab them. Focusing on killing gives you tunnel vision, which is bad. You want to win the battle as a whole, so just poke whoever is not looking or downblocking.

If the guy in front of you is getting all uppity about you poking his teammates, but insists on holding his downblock, nudge him away and shift behind or to the side of a teammate and pick a new front buddy.

If fighting alone versus multiple people, rate them in order of aggression and pick the LEAST aggressive one as your front buddy. Move around to keep everyone behind your front buddy so you can poke them from over his(front buddy) shoulder.

Alternate front buddy's every now and then or they will catch on.

Offline Normanguy

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 04:49:34 pm »
cheers mate :)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 08:28:14 am »
Try out one the cheaper 1H maces. They have less reach than the hammer does, but your 1H backup weapon is specifically for when you want a shorter weapon. You'll save some cash that way as well.

An axe helps alot in hoplite vs hoplite. That usually turns into a drawn out stalemate since it takes forever for someone's shield to break. But axes look ugly with hoplite gear!!!  :evil:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 05:09:21 pm »
+1
Try out one the cheaper 1H maces. They have less reach than the hammer does, but your 1H backup weapon is specifically for when you want a shorter weapon. You'll save some cash that way as well.

An axe helps alot in hoplite vs hoplite. That usually turns into a drawn out stalemate since it takes forever for someone's shield to break. But axes look ugly with hoplite gear!!!  :evil:

We Norse disagree.

(Cheap and short handaxe does not poke outside shield. Not sure about others.)

Speaking of handaxe, that reminds me. WHEN you do start bringing sidearms (Remember I recommend a gen without) bring ALL the side arms. Fill out your slots. Spear + Shield = 3 slots / 2 squares. That leaves 1 slot 2 squares. I recommend a combination of 1 slot axe and dagger or 1 slot sword/mace and a handaxe (the stronger 0 slot 1 axe). I personally use a combination of 0 slot axe/dagger for style, or 1 slot axe / dagger for efficiency. (Shortswords are 0 slot, I use daggers because dagger kills are always a laugh...and they are fast and deadly if you still have your shield up)

Filling out your slots assures you have something for every situation and are never at a disadvantage.

Offline Normanguy

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 05:58:50 pm »
Thanks again!! :))

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 06:07:11 pm »
Im 15/27 1h/pole hybrid with 190 wpf in pole and 118 in 1h lvl 34, as long as you have the spear masterworked 5 PS should be enough, but the 1h hits wimpy as fuck if i use a sword. A high damage axe or a blunt/pierce weapon will do the job though. Such as the military hammer (OP shit, hate it) steel pick or Iron war axe/Broad one handed battle axe. A stabby sword will do just fine though, but then its kind of relying on just the stabs.

If you decide to go agi based hoplite my advice as how to play it would be to spam a lot, people know you are a hoplite and hoplites tend to turtle once they get attacked, and so the enemy will find another target. So usually they block your first stab and then switch to another target but during this you launch another stab to interrupt them. With the mobility from all the agi you can often keep up with them, and sometimes dodge out of their reach when necessary.
Also try to time your stabs in order to keep an enemy locked blocking if you 2v1, dont just stab whenever you can.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Normanguy

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 06:48:25 pm »
Thanks gravoth :)

Dont suppose you could message me an agi basses hoplite build with stats with or without 1h
For level 30
Not sure how to go

Thanks

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 09:32:12 pm »
+1
15/24 would be the lower level version of my build, 5 shield 5 wm 5 PS 8 athl. No IF is unfortunate but as a hoplite you can block most of the attacks and dodge the rest. ~150 wpf in pole if pure build which is good, 5 shield is enough as a hoplite you wont taking the front too much so shield doesnt get pummeled much. Also leaves lvl 31+ builds open, you can just max WM out on 31 and retire on 32.

Its kind of a different playstyle though depending on your previous builds, low PS means glancing if you dont wigglestab good etc. Takes practise ;) But the most fun build ive found, played it since 2011.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Normanguy

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 12:14:00 am »
thanks for that well my very first build was 15/21 and was ok just takes more hits as you say I may try that build thanks :D