Author Topic: Ranged, what counters you best?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
Ranged, what counters you best?
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:50:24 pm »
+4
Well after many nerf ranged suggestions and some dev posts about the possible upcoming changes, I tend to disagree with the trend of putting 1h shielders as the number one counter to archers and ranged in general.

When playing as an archer my biggest counter were xbows and cavalry hands down not shielders. The are quite easy to kite when more archers/xbows are around or another melee guy. Shielders are a melee class and the are especially useful in melle blobs on the first line, I disageree to the fact that shielders should be doing ninja flanks with high agi, most of them will still remain in the main melee group and lowering the shield weight etc. will have little to no effect on the ranged of the server. It will unfortunatley impact melee yet again in a manner I really dislike.

So I would like ranged players, archers and xbow men to discuss what does actually counter them the most. please no "2h hero fucks kill everybody ofc" comments, would like to hear from dedicated ranged and people who played it extensively, not guys who play one melee class all the time.

Cheers
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
Re: Ranged, what counters you best?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 12:52:54 pm »
cav

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »
Infs and snipers(xbows) Cavs I can handle 1on1.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 01:00:23 pm »
+1
im a shielder and i think there is many other classes better at dealing with archers, i.e. as mentioned cav or xbows and them cloth rondel lamers. in my world a shielder is not suppose to be "anti-" something, but if played right and grouped it can counter almost any class. that's something other classes cannot.

1 shielder counters 1 archers. 2 archers counter 1 shielder.

archers never been OP in my head. there just been times (like now) where the sheer amount of archers is OP as well as poor balancing archers, cav and infantry. the amount of archeres is too much/OP, not the individual class. some players are very skilled archers, sure nerf them, but they will still be skilled.

i guess only way to get away from the massive amount of archers is to EITHER nerf them (i don't think it should be nerfed) or put some kind of restriction similar to that of other games.

i do think that 13 PD counterstrike archers is OP but that's just a glitchbug-thingy for the exploiters so ill ignore that for now.

edit: sry OP i know this is only for ranged, but i started crpg playing archer and played it for ab out 6 months till i grew tired of it, ive played melee ever since :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:24:21 pm by Sniger »

Offline Jeraz

• Baron
  • Renown: 86
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Woodland
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 01:04:28 pm »
+1
In my opinion:(Good) x-bow by far, shielders are annoying but i can run away from them. Cav is pretty strong but only if there is more then 1.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 01:05:28 pm »
+3
Infantry, other ranged (mostly xbow) and at least 2 cav at once. Always depends on the map, always depending on the enemie's skill.
STR shielders are easy to avoid with enough agi and some experience. If they heavily stack agi it's another think however then they don't take that many hits of course.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 01:07:38 pm »
+2
OP: i think a better question is "what counters HA/HX?"

u c what i did there? :D

Offline oreshy

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Braxli
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 01:09:03 pm »
+2
ht ...what else.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 01:12:28 pm »
+2
i really think that a more true balancing would do the trick. lets be honest banner"balance" is screwing with the real balance. why not make balancer that balance directly 50/50 range, 50/50 cav 50/50 inf, 50/50 highlevels, no banner balance. just green vs. purple or blue vs. red or whatever the map-teams is called. sure some of you wont get to "teamwork" as you call it (i call it farming xp, totally overstacking with highlevel toons, securing the multiplier and fucking up the real balance)

but this will never happen because this mod is controlled by stackers and played by stackers and stackers don't give a shit about balance and fairgame :)

Offline 722_

• Marshall
  • Renown: 991
  • Infamy: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:15:18 pm »
+1
Throwers

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 01:16:15 pm »
other ranged

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 01:17:21 pm »
the only thing that counters ranged, is real life death  :twisted:

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 01:17:30 pm »
+1
several times daily i see multiple archers getting raped by 1 agirondel

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 01:18:37 pm »
+1
Well, after my playing HA for a few weeks, I couldn't pick any counter really. It depends highly on the way you play. Personally, I always stuck rather close to the fighting and got therefore killed by a lot of random weapons.

But if you choose to play like an asshole - which some of our HAs obviously do - then there basicly is no counter.

Xbow reload is fucking slow and when you spot one aiming at you, I rarely got hit but my warhorse soaked the bolt and before he could fire again I was already far far away or harassed him during his reloading.

Other archers were probably the worst cuz they can spam as much as you can with a steady aim. But again, seeing the archers pocket - they rarely spread out a lot - gives you the means to stay away from them. Not to mention that my unloomed warhorse easily takes 8 and more arrows before it dies.

Infantry is only dangerous when you make a mistake in riding. They are useless.

My conclusion is that there is no real counter but if something has to be named then I say Archers for the spamming capabilities.

This is particularly for Horse Archer. That class is pretty strong imho.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 01:19:04 pm »
+10
Using 80k worth of gear as a heavy cavalryman with a 27/15 build I am very hesistant to take on a lone archer in an open field. I think that is very wrong on so many levels. I don't have a shield though. The times I risk it and stab them in the face moving at full speed, they often don't even die. While they usually take 1/3rd of my hp on the way there and another 1/3rd on the run. If they have the courtesy of not simply oneshotting me with a low distance insta hit headshot.

Especially my old friends like Shokoshugi who do way too much damage with way too high missile speed, can hold their shot for 5 seconds and sidestep at a very fast pace. I do not feel like I am a counter to archers in a 1 vs 1 scenario, and I will not risk it until the very end of the round.