Poll

Is it appropriate to slightly buff steel pick to balance with other top-tier 1h weapons?

Yes, buff speed +1
23 (20.4%)
Yes, buff damage +1
7 (6.2%)
Yes, consider buffing speed AND damage
10 (8.8%)
No, its fine as it is
34 (30.1%)
No, nerf it more
37 (32.7%)
Other
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: Steel Pick [POLL]  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: Steel Pick [POLL]
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »
+1
An agi 1h has to be one of the best dueling builds nowadays (dat stab), even with a short weapon. If you have 7+ athletics no one will be able to severely S key you. You can face hug all you want and with a steel pick you won't glance at that range while someone with a longer weapon will. Not to mention that steel picks have infamous ghost reach and are still thin + spammable enough so that you can barely see them. It has the same problem as the spathovaklion... too skinny and small to see. Sure, it might not show it in its stats, but its model gives it a large advantage on its own. I could see the pick being less feasible for a slow str build, but just sit still and don't fall for an opponents S key / kick traps and you can kill him in 1 - 2 hits. Or just you know... use a weapon better suited to your class.

Also, who the heck even plays str crutch 1hander? I honestly can't think of anyone... or at least I have yet to see one as extreme as a str crutch 2h that is something like 36-3. Mostly all 1hs have a decent amount of agi so they can use a shield as well. Most str I know for a fact that a 1h has been using was 24, but coupled with 0 IF and 15 agi (5 ath, 5 shield) they really weren't slow at all.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 07:50:49 pm »
Also, who the heck even plays str crutch 1hander? I honestly can't think of anyone... or at least I have yet to see one as extreme as a str crutch 2h that is something like 36-3. Mostly all 1hs have a decent amount of agi so they can use a shield as well. Most str I know for a fact that a 1h has been using was 24, but coupled with 0 IF and 15 agi (5 ath, 5 shield) they really weren't slow at all.

I think Turbo is 27/15 or similar. But he's always tightly clustered with clanmates in a deadly gank squad, so I don't think he cares about efficacy in a duel-type situation. Para I believe has a similar build/philosophy. Haven't seen either on NA2 in ages tho :(

I think the "hard to see" aspect of the Steel pick is what got it nerfed in the first place, not the actual stats. Specifically, people have a really hard time distinguishing 1h left swing and overhead, which is exacerbated with a short thin weapon. Spathovaklion has the same "hard to see" feature, but more reach and knockdown, so I have to think it's ripe for a nerf. The 1h maces/hammers were well balanced before that abomination appeared on the scene.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 04:02:32 am »
Just tried warhammer for once in a strat battle with 1h no shield and I must say that warhammer >>> post-nerf steel pick. I was getting knockdowns much more often than with the iberian mace. My previous build was too slow with too little wpf (had to rely on faster weapons) to really see how great it is.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 09:03:44 am »
Just tried warhammer for once in a strat battle with 1h no shield and I must say that warhammer >>> post-nerf steel pick. I was getting knockdowns much more often than with the iberian mace. My previous build was too slow with too little wpf (had to rely on faster weapons) to really see how great it is.

You've seen the light as well now :)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 07:45:00 pm »
Anyone who says steel pick is fine or needs more nerfs, how about you specialize into one hand, pick up a steel pick and try to win a duel against any good 2h or polearm who can massively outreach your weapon, do more damage than you, and have the total advantage for when to throw kicks--they never have to step inside your kick radius to hit you, but you ALWAYS have to step in their kick radius to hit them.

I love the steel pick, use it nearly every time I play 1H on my main (which is rare anymore because even though I love the playstyle of 1H, I recognize that it is just easier for Strategus to play 2H because you get so much more power with so much less effort as a STR crutch 2H). I even use the steel pick as my primary cavalry weapon, something I feel that is pretty unique to me... but when it comes to duels, even I will admit that the steel pick is a piece of shit in a 1v1 situation against a 2H or polearm, let alone an agi 1H with a now super-buffed thrusting sword.

so if in sometime kicks gets finally nerfed we do nerf 1h again?
what i want to say is that it would probably be better just to look at kick then?

Offline AARKOR

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 10:52:00 pm »
no wander why i m the only one using it...yeah maybe we should all use the longsword..change it, i m gone use something else to fuck you up guys!!!...ho no!we should have all the same weapon!

Offline spiritus

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Spiritus_de_Deceptio ---- Beeep
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 06:40:51 am »
Yea i pointed this out like 2 monthes ago haha

Offline SugarHoe

• Earl
  • Renown: 413
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:31 pm »
hmm, i can smell the STR steel pick whore from a mile away.
isnt he a longspear/pikeman
visitors can't see pics , please register or login