Author Topic: 1h Stab animation change... ?  (Read 9881 times)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
1h Stab animation change... ?
« on: August 15, 2013, 08:14:08 pm »
Just to clarify...

They changed the animation to better match the actual hit box of the 1h stab?

So really 1h stab isn't buffed at all, it just looks the way it acts now?

Just wanted to make sure, I keep hearing they buffed 1h stab but after reading a bit into it, it seems more like it just visually looks more like how it performs.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:22:08 pm by Kalam »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: 1h Stab animation change... ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:31:40 pm »
+16
The 1h stab now works almost as well as the 2h stab, and by that I mean hitting when your arm reaches full extension actually works instead of automatically glancing.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:35:33 pm »
I think it's sweetspot last longer now so it doesn't glance nearly as much. So I think the animation starts off faster but I don't think it was sped up, if that makes sense.

That's just my thoughts.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:50:56 pm »
+15
Just to clarify...

They changed the animation to better match the actual hit box of the 1h stab?

So really 1h stab isn't buffed at all, it just looks the way it acts now?

Just wanted to make sure, I keep hearing they buffed 1h stab but after reading a bit into it, it seems more like it just visually looks more like how it performs.

Thanks
No, it's actually a huge buff. Weapon "hitboxes" are simple things. Warband just creates something like a bar that protrudes out from the hand until it reaches the appropriate distance depending upon the weapon length stat. If this "bar" come into contact with a player's hit capsule, warband registers a hit. Warband checks to see where you hit as far as sweet spots go, then finishes the damage calculation. For thrusts, the sweetspot is entirely dependent upon when in the release animation the weapon connected with the opponent ( as a matter of total progression, 30% through the anim, 50% through, 70%,etc). For thrusts, you want to hit between 35 and 65% of the release animation's progression, otherwise you suffer from large damage penalties(up to 0% total raw damage).

All I did was move frames around so that at 65% through the animation's progression the arm has nearly reached full extension. Before, you were looking at only having the arm extended just above half of the total distance the arm covers in the entire animation. This also means that part of the beginning of the animation where the character was still holding his arm back, not doing anything, was within the sweet spot. That is to say, you would do 100% damage by walking your character, or turning, into someone, even though the arm has quite literally not moved more than one or two cm, and would still not be moving more than just a few cm for several more MS.

Again, sweetspots are completely unchanged. "Sweetspots" exist in warband code and are not just a way of talking about "where" and "when" you should hit.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:50:53 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 11:02:44 pm »
Did you do the same type of moving of sweetspots to the polestab and does this mean I will have a harder time stabbing at close range with a pike?

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:20:42 pm »
+1
Did you do the same type of moving of sweetspots to the polestab and does this mean I will have a harder time stabbing at close range with a pike?
It's not moving a sweetspot, it's changing when the tip of the weapon moves. Answer: Yes and yes, although much less was done to the pole thrust than the 1h thrust. It's worth mentioning though, that if you turn your thrusts into your opponent you're no worse off than before(you just have to get used to reacting to slightly different visuals.

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22:31 pm »
+1
My thoughts on 1h stab - it's awesome.
But there is an issue, now it's an ultimate 1h hit direction, even more than stab as 2h.
I think you should revert it by about 20-30% to make it balanced, Tydeus. That way it would reach a perfect balance point imo.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:41 pm »
+4
My thoughts on 1h stab - it's awesome.
But there is an issue, now it's an ultimate 1h hit direction, even more than stab as 2h.
I think you should revert it by about 20-30% to make it balanced, Tydeus. That way it would reach a perfect balance point imo.
Right now all thrusts are basically on the same page as far as how optimized they are for the thrust sweetspots. I'd agree that all thrusts are probably too easy to use. To fix this, all that needs done, is to increase the speed at which the weapon goes from ~50-60% to about 95% total reach, this way the timing for an optimal max distance hit becomes more difficult, although still doable. As it stands, all thrust animations are pretty easy to land a solid max distance hit with. It is true however, that I much prefer thrusts how they are now, than how they were.

To be clear, there isn't anything that can really be done about the so called "lolstab". It's just the nature of the beast, you either have a shit thrust, or you have all the different things that people call "lolstab". Fixing this would require a hell of a lot of work, and so I think it's extremely unrealistic to expect such a thing. Blame TW.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:13:15 am by Tydeus »

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 12:20:16 am »
+3
First off, thanks for the hard work Tydeus. The 1h stab is a beast of a move now, nice to have that in our set of options as a shielder. Before it was pretty shit imo, so much so that I actually only used weapons with no stab as it's tendency to glance would get me killed constantly. Now I'm considering switching to a weapon with a stab, it's damaging, fast, and almost instant to the point where it leaves little time for reaction (though I believe that's my ping). Anywho enough ranting, thanks again Tydeus.  :D
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 01:34:51 am »
+1
So easy to follow up a swing with a free stab and breaking the attack/block pattern now. An enemy literally can't re-attack if you do it right. :D
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 02:12:52 am »
+5
its too good and i only use 1h.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 02:18:19 am »
So much thrusting

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 03:10:22 am »
+2
Rebuff elite scimi please...  thx

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 03:41:35 am »
+7
Rebuff elite scimi please...  thx
No! fuck the scimi.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 04:34:36 am »
+1
First off, thanks for the hard work Tydeus. The 1h stab is a beast of a move now, nice to have that in our set of options as a shielder. Before it was pretty shit imo, so much so that I actually only used weapons with no stab as it's tendency to glance would get me killed constantly. Now I'm considering switching to a weapon with a stab, it's damaging, fast, and almost instant to the point where it leaves little time for reaction (though I believe that's my ping). Anywho enough ranting, thanks again Tydeus.  :D

This.

A major reason for me when I considered the military cleaver when I made the full switch to shielder. Now.. I might play with different weapons.