Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  (Read 96660 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
« Reply #1155 on: July 14, 2015, 11:52:36 am »
Level requirements on items in RPGs generally feel rigid, like playing on rails. You never get that feeling of truly stumbling onto a great treasure, through luck or skill.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 14, 2015, 01:52:31 pm »
Level requirements on items in RPGs generally feel rigid, like playing on rails. You never get that feeling of truly stumbling onto a great treasure, through luck or skill.

Level requirements aren't the worst in my opinion. To me the problem is nonsensical level scaling of equipment. You drop two identical swords, one at level 1 and the other at level 9 and the level 9 one will be five times stronger. This makes zero sense.

Ties in with my only real complaint of the game, the whole leveling thing. They really should have done it differently. No level 35 guards, no level requirements on items (what's the point of even finding a legendary sword then), quests not so strictly level-locked, etc.

This. The leveling system feels tacked-on and invasive. The game would have worked without, in my opinion. It doesn't help that one or two levels of difference results in huge changes in combat effectiveness, making fights above your level too hard (or just generally tedious) and below your level too easy.

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #1157 on: July 14, 2015, 02:01:15 pm »
to me the leveling system even makes crafting obsolete. You don't know what level you need for armour ar weapons when you buy the recipie. and the crafting itselve has nothing to do with a choice between different armours or weapon perks but only which one fits you curent level.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Soulreaver

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
« Reply #1158 on: July 14, 2015, 03:15:54 pm »
can someone give me advice, is it worse to complete 2nd Witcher? just started and it brings so much pain to me, both, the plot and the physics

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #1159 on: July 14, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »
+2
Witcher 2 isn't all so bad. The foremost thing I believe it lacks is the actual "witchering" side of things. It is mostly about an ongoing war and your role in it. Rolls and the Quen sign are more useful than necessary, but I guess a later patch had fixed both issues. That was after I had completed the game twice and left it aside.

In brief, it is good. At least it doesnt have the "click, wait for the next cursor flash, click again, wait a bit more, another cursor flash, click" style fighting from the first Witcher game, which was also a truly cool game for its time but the combat felt so lame.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 15, 2015, 12:27:01 am »
+2
If you play The Witcher 2, make sure to download the mod Full Combat Rebalance 2. It makes combat against humans more enjoyable.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:14 pm »
Concerning the 'tropic' looking colors in White Orchard and Velen (especially), the over-saturated red and green etc. that many download different color schemes for; my monitor (https://www.asus.com/dk/Monitors/MX279H/) has a so called 'splendid' setting that I usually have on 'scenery mode' or 'game mode', both of which feature these odd color setups in The Witcher with apocalyptic sunrises and almost flouroscent flora etc. but look great in other games.

But when I put my monitor on the 'standard' setting, which usually looks pretty bland in for example Skyrim, it makes TW3 look almost exactly like when using most of these sweetfx mods, ie. a lot better and more realistic and considering that it's different from monitor to monitor and monitor settings may actually be what the developers intended afterall, but fucked up somehow. Either that or they really decided that the new generation of gamers crave bright colors like in children's cartoons (or maybe to differentiate these environments more from Skellige?). I hope the first, and the fact that my monitor's standard settings actually display the game correctly may suggest this is the case.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 16, 2015, 06:33:02 pm »
I have an Asus monitor with the Splendid feature as well, but I don't stick to the presets. I just use the default color setup and then decrease gamma and brightness a little through my gpu control center. Always yields the best results.

Offline Austrian

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1117
  • Infamy: 126
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Bro's are Bro's, forever.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Brotherhood
  • Game nicks: Austriano, Faust, Nestea
« Reply #1163 on: July 16, 2015, 07:52:33 pm »
Planing on replaying this on deathmarch, any advices?  :?  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 16, 2015, 09:22:51 pm »

Just don't quit the very first ghoul fight :D
Try as many times as it takes. Once you are done with that, you will know what to expect and not carelessly rush head on towards any mob you see, which is good practice.

Try to resolve each quest while they are still green or leveling up becomes a bitch. If your level is 6+ above the recommended quest level, it goes gray and your reward drops down to 5 xp.

Put a lot more emphasis on alchemy, use of oils, potions, bombs etc.

Read the bestiary, although it isn't all so necessary all the time.

Offline Primo

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • non dvcor, dvco
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
  • Faction: Acre, VeraCruz
  • Game nicks: KotSA, Primo, Colleone
« Reply #1165 on: July 16, 2015, 09:53:50 pm »

Its going to be harsh, but dont quit. Spam alot of yrden and quen.

I think the only fight you'll struggle really is in:
(click to show/hide)

you really will struggle there. But dont quit, keep trying, spam a lot of yrden to stop them and  beware of the surrouds.

I've enjoyed a lot playing on death march (and getting all achievements on steam) so, well, enjoy

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 17, 2015, 01:20:29 am »
Just kill the
(click to show/hide)
you my old friendet

Offline Primo

• Knight
  • non dvcor, dvco
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #1167 on: July 17, 2015, 01:41:31 am »
Just kill the
(click to show/hide)
you my old friendet

dont forget there are
(click to show/hide)
i think its harder cause the
(click to show/hide)
is so durable

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 17, 2015, 10:08:39 pm »
I found Imlerith to be the greatest challenge on DM. I faced him with a sub-optimal experimental build and no respec potion on me, but I'm sure he would've been a tough bastard in any regard.

Finished the game a few weeks ago, currently replaying with minimal UI and minimal auto travel mixed up with some different choices and different TW2 save settings.

(click to show/hide)

For all its minor flaws, at this point the game is still one of the best RPGs I've played.

Even the grognards over at rpgcodex had to admit it has probably the best writing since Torment (http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9961).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:30:05 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Primo

• Knight
  • non dvcor, dvco
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
« Reply #1169 on: July 17, 2015, 11:58:51 pm »
I found Imlerith to be the greatest challenge on DM. I faced him with a sub-optimal experimental build and no respec potion on me, but I'm sure he would've been a tough bastard in any regard.

One of the secrets of fighting Imlerith is that he'll always teleport to your back, so you just roll to your front three times, igni hit hit, roll roll roll, etc..

But it is a hard boss