Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  (Read 96652 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
« Reply #795 on: May 29, 2015, 07:20:48 pm »
+1
I think the smooth combat was "in" TW2 all along. They just had to turn a few knobs to make it acceptably snappy. By the way it's still far from perfect. My biggest gripe is that considering there is no range assist (you can attack and miss the enemy by 1cm if you started the attack from too far), the attack moves themselves are too long and too randomized. Sometimes I miss purely because Geralt decided to make a pirouette before hitting instead of a simpler move.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 29, 2015, 07:23:17 pm »
Worst part about the combat for me is that enemies have no mass, they can slide through each other. Very annoying when fighting indoors.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 29, 2015, 08:08:07 pm »
I like the combat in general, but what is shown in this video annoys me sometimes (random automatic target switch):

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 29, 2015, 08:47:45 pm »
Where can you get respec potions if Keira's met an unfortunate accident in your game?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #799 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01:31 pm »
Novigrad magic items guy next to barber
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 29, 2015, 09:12:47 pm »
+2
Found him, respecced to this

http://i.imgur.com/ADoDCtN.jpg

The dodging DR reduction thing seemed useless so I went full strong/fast build, makes the combat a bit more fun when you vary the attacks (and it's worth it) instead of just smashing mouse 1.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #801 on: May 29, 2015, 10:11:42 pm »
I like the combat in general, but what is shown in this video annoys me sometimes (random automatic target switch):

You basically switch targets by movement keys+looking their direction(like having them in the center of the screen), you'll get the hang of it.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 29, 2015, 10:29:31 pm »
Been doing way too much of the Gwent cards questline.

Can now play as Nilfgaard with a lot of high grade scores and 2 or 3 heroes.

My Northern Realm deck is pretty beastly, 3 heroes, lots of specials and a dragon

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 29, 2015, 10:30:33 pm »
Been doing way too much of the Gwent cards questline.

Can now play as Nilfgaard with a lot of high grade scores and 2 or 3 heroes.

My Northern Realm deck is pretty beastly, 3 heroes, lots of specials and a dragon
Does the dragon have any special ability?
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 29, 2015, 10:36:33 pm »
Does the dragon have any special ability?

It's one of the better cards of my deck.

It has a strength of 7 and if any of your opponents cards (melee) add up - in total - to more than 10, it destroys the highest strength cards (minus heroes)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 29, 2015, 11:35:18 pm »
Where can you get respec potions if Keira's met an unfortunate accident in your game?

Obscurantist!

Also I don't really think that video is fair criticism at all. He demonstrated nothing by fighting humans by groups of three. Humans are a joke compared to most monsters and beasts.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:47:49 pm by Kafein »

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 29, 2015, 11:53:49 pm »
I've been doing fairly thorough testing of runes for science, I'm that sad.

I wont go into the numbers and too much detail but reloading same environment vs same monster (leshen). ran with 3 runes of same type each time.

chernobog rune acording to dev post is supposed to increase attack power so x3 greater runes should be 15% attack power he claimed it was just UI is broken, however I tested it and UI is correct the rune has 0 effect in testing.

the fire DoT scaled with attack power strangely, the tick damage was lower but more ticks for more overall damage - really weird. Attack power also doubled amount of poison DoT ticks. I thought burning rune would be best, since against humans its does damage over time aswell as crowd control and alot of monsters are weak to fire. Fire dot also does its damage over less time than poison.

however I've changed by mind, the armour piercing runes are all around best pick imo. Don't get me wrong 15% burn, or even stun/stagger is going to be very strong. However +70 armour piercing increased damage by about 13% on both high and low attack power set ups.

It felt alot like the leshen would be poisoned alot less than burned, the % on the runes was simply does not seem accurate in my tests. which made me wonder if rune effects of same type stack, however with armour piercing the effects stacking is very noticeable. which is why I assume certain monsters resistances effect rate of poisoning/burning or even complete immunity. It does say in bestiary leshen is weak to igni.

The freeze chance also seemed felt lower than burning, freeze does not stop enemy like stun/stagger it only slows them down. but it does last a fair amount of time. However I can't be sure its the % chance to burn/poison/freeze my target are actually different, that would require way more science that I'm willing to do. However I never saw my stun runes do anything vs lechen, which makes sense since Axii did not work either - immunities are definitely a thing.

My point is tho that the armour piercing rune is going to be beneficial on every swing vs every enemy. sure some enemies have more armour so effects may vary, but less so than the other runes which might not do anything at all in a fight due to luck or foe's immunities.

Last caveat is that watching humans scream as they burn is probably more fun than any % in damage, but thats what the "pyromaniac" skill is for.

You basically switch targets by movement keys+looking their direction(like having them in the center of the screen), you'll get the hang of it.

this. the lock on system is bad and misleads the new player, since actually game works very well without ever locking on. character auto targets whichever enemy you move towards while swinging. that guy in video just simply hasn't figured out how to play yet.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:34:07 am by Banok »

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 30, 2015, 12:40:30 am »
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The quest "Wandering in the Dark"
Nithral and I died at the same time. I was keeping my distance til I got stuck on those rocks, I died he died I cried. Load most recent save came up I clicked it, quest updated and load didn't happen and I am now in the room listening to the ambience Keira just standing there. Cant pull up escape menus to reload a save, quit game etc. Cant open any menu's like profile, inventory map anything. I am scared to close the game thru task manager for fear of losing everything. I am .......); hard atm.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 30, 2015, 01:19:42 am »
Don't you have any older saves?

I'm going to replay Witcher 2 so I can get my hands on the Save. Maybe will write a short comparison of combat and such..
I have a question: is there a way to change targets once you lock-on with mouse and keyboard?

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 30, 2015, 01:21:38 am »
I have a question: is there a way to change targets once you lock-on with mouse and keyboard?
yes, I rebound it to tab, its lock on target in the keybind menu, I think that's it anyways. I think it cycles thru targets when pressed. I don't like that you cant lock on a target though til the target sees and attacks you.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:24:49 am by Asheram »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die